Author Topic: MA helmet rules.  (Read 6226 times)

mx250

MA helmet rules.
« on: November 14, 2007, 09:04:57 pm »
How strict are the M.A. stewarts at VMX and VD/Track meetings regarding the condition of helmets?

I've heard that at Road Race even the smallest blemish is harshly dealt with.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: MA helmet rules.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 09:28:48 pm »
they will check Sticker correct and should be an UN - impact condition.

road racing looks for impacts, if it looks dropped or been drown the road with drag marks you may have to get a MA inspection to be able to use it ( xray or liner check)

You'll get roost marks on your MX helmet so they expect to see paint chips, but will look closely if it looks to be impacts such as from falls or drops, if it looks like its taken a hit you should be worried, if its a scratch from a NON  impact or fall you'll be ok.

Depends on the scutineer but you can tell the helmets that wont pass from a metre away.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

worms

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 09:37:49 pm »
one issue i look for is rusty buckles and too many stickers covering possible damage, if its old ,good chance it wont pass, but at most events we allways find someone with a spare helmet if needed to help someone out.
i often wonder why riders try and hide damage dont they realise they only have one head .

cheers

Trev ;D

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 11:11:05 am »
It was something I had to consider when I posted the question about whether or not I should use my old 70's Bell Motostar - vintage lid for vintage bike, right?

We get attached to our old lids and when we look at the $700 price tag for a newie it's "Nah, she'll be right for a while longer"...

After all the advice I really had to consider your point about only having one head; why take the risk?
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

worms

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 12:38:58 pm »
good on ya wombat, i have a few old lids but i would never race with one now, there are some really good helmets in $400 range if your on a budget, try a online store for the best prices.

Cheers
Trev

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 01:15:27 pm »
YOu can get a good helmet for a $100 if you look around or get last seasons model online or on sale, i have about 12 helmets road and trail, its a sickness, but when you see a bargin just grab it, i should sell them off as i only have one head.  i can sell you a spare cheap if'n you want a ride day helmet, i have a race helmet always in its bag, and a 2nd i use for all club rides or practice day, that way i know my race one is perfect.  its a good habit to get into.

A helmet rule of thumb is 7 years life, thats assuming you dont leave it in the sun all day between motos and the lining and foam is sound.   Check the foam and buckles for damage and rust, you would be suprised how many buckles i see rusting from sweat, and they are ruined once the rust takes hold.

Old trick i use is to slip a panty liner at the front of my helmet or across my crown before a ride, soaks up all the sweat and youll be more comfy and your helmet will last forever ( so to speak) also its not wet the next time you go to put it on.

You can make up your mind if you need wings or you want to be discreet  ;D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 01:21:08 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 01:26:17 pm »
HHhhhmmm i get a bit sqeamish about them things  not sure how i'd go sticking one on me head . Oh what brand do you use Freaky ?.

[attachment deleted by admin]
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 02:22:04 pm »
Freaky, real blokes don't care what other blokes think of their panty liners; bugger the discretion of wings!
On the fem gear - I've just scored an old pair of un-lined leathers.
I was advised to wear pantyhose underneath for comfort; "no-one will see 'em!" he said.

Hmmm... like the helmet, why take the risk... ;)

"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 02:26:20 pm »
Interesting that MA scrutineers seem to be getting more serious in how they inspect helmets. I've only ever had my helmets checked for obvious damage and the appropriate Standards Approval.

CAMS has been the opposite - ridiculous, anal checks where you get hassled for chips in the graphics, or a bit of paint that's rubbed off the rollcage...
But they've realised that it's a hiding to nowhere.
A super anal inspection infers a big degree of responsibility on the scrutineer: "My helmet failed after the scrutineer inspected it thoroughly - he must not have done his job properly".
Whereas the quick "standards approval only" inspection means that the scrutineer has made no assesment on the condition of the helmet, and is therefore absolved from responsibility if it turns out that the helmet is not OK.

And if a competitor wants to wear a helmet that's unsafe, there's only one person who is gonna get hurt...

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 02:38:42 pm »
Freaky and Wombat - what can I say - if you aren't doing drugs then maybe you should start!!!!

cheers

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 03:42:14 pm »
huh...........  me and wombat are sharing our factory secrets and thats how you repay us  .........  i have seen a road race guy with cut tampons in his ears cause he forgot his plugs.    I knew they used the strings for somthing !

IF you sweat in the heat try the pads, it sounds stupid , but trust me your helmet for want of a better word "stays dry" and you dont get drops or wet muddy sweat coming down your face.
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 04:15:01 pm »
i have seen a road race guy with cut tampons in his ears cause he forgot his plugs.    I knew they used the strings for something !

the strings could be handy if the plugs "Fall Inside" for retrieval later
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

magoo

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 08:12:13 pm »
Simple, buy a new helmet.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 09:10:40 pm »
MoMS says helmets only need the relevent FIM,JS,Snell , MOT, DOT or Whatever the European standard is and no not require the silver AS sticker on   the back. Arai's are mmmmmmiiiiiiiggggggghhhhhhttttttttyyyyy cheap in Japan.

That way there's no need for Freaky liners just a new foam liner for the helmet ;D
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 12:01:33 am »
na i just like shopping for em, makes me look,  what modern metro sexual ?
74 Yamaha  flattracker's