Author Topic: looks like someone else is casting reed cylinders  (Read 1952 times)

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
looks like someone else is casting reed cylinders
« on: November 24, 2009, 10:38:57 am »
http://cgi.ebay.de/Maico-reedvalve-cylinder-490-1981-1982-NEW-
membram_W0QQitemZ380180575117QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorrad_Kraftradteile?hash=item588487338d

firko

Re: looks like someone else is casting reed cylinders
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 01:24:38 pm »
This obsession with reed cylinders is starting to shit me a bit. It's typical of Americas obsession with trying to improve on what works almost perfectly already. I've had both reed and piston port 490s and the difference ammounts to two fifths of fluck all.
Now the Germans are cashing on the craze. Before long every 490 on the planet will be covered in bling billet, have repro reed cylinders, those silly alloy swingarms, black anodized rims and those repulsive Vintage Iron graphics. All of this just detracts from the bike being perfect out of the box. All of the other stuff is bullshit. Thank fluck I kept my old 490 as stock as a rock and the curent owner has carried on the tradition. Eventually it'll be worth more than all of those unidentifiable reed valve billet princesses...........Gee I'm glad I got that off my chest!
Below: Bernie Ellis's 490 (once mine) is as stock as a rock except for the Wheelsmith period pipe and CZ shocks.

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 08:54:41 pm »
Yeah Firko I also think stock with a few period accessories is the go.Isnt it partly because they have different rules in the AHRMA which alows all kind of performance enhancments in their classes?What's the go with those cz rear shocks?Any good?

firko

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 11:26:51 pm »
I discovered the CZ shocks by accident. On a whim I bought a pair off eBay for $15 and gave 'em to Radar to check out for me. He rang me all excited and told me to come over, he had something to show me. When I got there I found that he'd pulled them down and discovered that they were absolutely identical to Ohlins inside. Those crafty Czechs had copied them exactly.  He fitted Ohlins kits to them and they've worked beautifully for 7 or 8 years. They're off the late 513/514 model.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 06:25:11 pm »
Before long every 490 on the planet will be covered in bling billet, have repro reed cylinders, those silly alloy swingarms, black anodized rims and those repulsive Vintage Iron graphics.

I don't know I kind of like the yellow ones, whack some Suzuki decals on and everyone will think you had the good sense to buy an RM400  ;)
formerly Marc.com

All Things 414

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 07:42:23 pm »
Before long every 490 on the planet will be covered in bling billet, have repro reed cylinders, those silly alloy swingarms, black anodized rims and those repulsive Vintage Iron graphics. All of this just detracts from the bike being perfect out of the box. All of the other stuff is bullshit.

Agreed...