Author Topic: Trick 1973 Yamaha 360 MX  (Read 23309 times)

firko

Trick 1973 Yamaha 360 MX
« on: November 21, 2009, 12:11:06 pm »
Heres a nice simple revamp of a 360 MX. While I like the blokes individual take on the bike, I've got to question the swingarm. It's probably legal by their rules but definitely ilegal by ours. Despite there being no historic precedent for those arms, Aussies keep buying them because they "look cool". The sooner the swingarm section of the rulebook is tightened up the better. The head National scrutineer agrees with my take on them so check before you spend your money on something you may not be allowed to use in open competition.

1973 Yamaha 360 MX
This bike was given to customer Shawn McDonald, the Publisher of "Bench Racer" magazine, by the "First American" Jim Pomeroy. Jim never actually raced the bike, but wanted it to go to some old racing friends from back in the day, so that they could enter the world of vintage MX racing. The first racer was childhood friend, Yakima, Washington neighbor, and toughest opponent Rick Poulin. It didn’t even last one moto as the pipe fell off at the cylinder at the Dinosaur Daze race. It did get Rick started in the world of vintage racing though.
It was determined at that point that Full Circle Racing would take over a complete restoration of the bike to a better than NEW condition. Sitting down with the customer it was determined and agreed upon that why restore a historically ugly bike to N.O.S. condition especially since the restored value would not be anywhere near the restoration costs. Let’s give it it's own look that would not easily be identified by a non vintage motorcyclist. Let’s hot rod the bike for looks and performance.
After dismantling the bike and tagging each part it was determined what, when and for how much each part would need to be modified, replaced or restored. The original frame while useable for racing had smashed frame tubes under the engine attesting to a previous life as a trail bike. An alternative Yamaha SC 500 frame was found which then was media blasted and powder coated black. The steering head ball bearings were replaced with "ALL BALL’s" tapered roller bearings. The Yamaha’s were notorious for their twisty, twitchy handling under power. Back in the day legendary desert racer Al Baker fixed the problem by selling a 1 ½ inch extension kit for swing arm length behind the shock position. This provided stability under power. It also unfortunately lengthened the wheelbase which was great for desert, but would make it harder to steer in slower motocross corners. Working with Novation Racing (novationracing.com) in Spokane, Washington, a prototype box aluminum swing arm was constructed with an additional 1" of length which is now part of their catalog. To handle the rear suspension a Works Performance dual rate gas shock was used with a 14 inch eyelet to eyelet length. The extra one inch of swingarm length, along with the longer shock, raised the rear end thus quickening the steering. The extra 1" of swingarm length helps put maximum horsepower to the ground and reduce useless wheelies. The stock ridged Japanese rims were replaced by brushed aluminum Sun rims with Buchanan’s stainless steel spokes and trued by Full Circle. The brakes were cleaned and replaced. The front forks were spaghetti and were replaced with straight newer tubes. Fork springs were replaced with Progressive springs. Fenders are white Vintage Iron replicas. Cables and levers and perches were replaced with N.O.S. The throttle is a Gunnar Gasser and handlebars are aluminum Malcolm Smith models. A very hard to find N.O.S. carburetor-airbox boot was found. The cylinder, head and carburetor were media blasted from black to silver in an effort to brighten up a previously dark bike. The tank is from a 1976 YZ 125 and was found with no dents. The tank mounts on the front and rear of the frame were relocated to accept the new tank. The tank was brought to Mitch McAllister where it was prepped, painted and masked for a classic 1950's custom car flame job with five different different pearl coats to sparkle in the sun. A custom aluminum red anodized gas cap was made by Novation Racing. Mitch also painted the side panels white to match the fenders/tank. Because the seat provided for much of the suspension back in the 1970's the seat was custom made using the highest density foam available. It was raised 1 ½ inches in the front and tapering down to 3/4 inch raise at the rear with a custom made seat cover for a one off factory look. The stock expansion chamber was replaced by a Circle "F" pipe. Because the riders complained that the pipe stuck out to far and burned their legs the pipe was cut and re welded for proper clearance. The pipe was then ceramic coated, keeping heat inside the chamber and keeping it cooler outside. The silencer was replaced by an aluminum oval FMF silencer cut to length. The engine was taken apart to remove the counter balancer and a PVL ignition replaced the faulty stock ignition. An 8 oz weight for more flywheel effect at lower RPM’s was also added. A new bore job and top end were installed and the gearbox was freshened up. What also was found were some built in finger ports and exotic porting in general.  Bolts were replaced with grade 8 or SS bolts and clear gas tubes were used for all exterior tubing. Michelin MX tires, tubes, gold DID chain and new sprockets finish off the bike.
The bike was first put into the hands of ex factory Honda star of the early 80's Phil Larson jr where he won the highly competitive 40+ Expert class in multiple races. The biggest prize was at the 2004 Vintage Iron World Championships by winning the 40+ Expert in the vintage class and then the next day winning in the two-stroke class. Then it was handed to 1970's racer Doug Raines who bumped up to the 50+ Expert class where he won every where he showed up at. Next up was Mark Kaestner, another top 1970's racer, who went undefeated in the 50+ Expert class. Out of 28 starts, 26 of them were hole shots. Phil commented that the bike in a straight line had as much horsepower as his factory Honda’s in the early 80's. Everywhere the bike goes it gathers crowds either at the racetrack or on show at a dealer. Mostly they say "What is that?"

« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 01:21:03 pm by firko »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Trick 1973 Yamaha 360 MX
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 12:26:09 pm »

Heres a nice simple revamp of a 360 MX. While I like the blokes individual take on the bike, I've got to question the swingarm. It's probably legal by their rules but definitely ilegal by our rules. Despite there being no historiv precedent for those arms, Aussies keep buying them because they "look cool". The sooner the swingarm section of the rulebook is tightened up the better. The head National scrutineer agrees with my take on them so check before you spend your money on something you may not be allowed to use in open competition.

Yep I agree you have to really work to look cool when you are Australian  ;D

Novation = bad Period PDI = Good

formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 01:19:57 pm »
Jeez Marc, that's the plug ugliest swingarm I've seen. It's not the swingarm itself but the weird gusseting and shock mount. I've got two of those Boyd and Stellings/PDI swingarms and no offence, neither is as fugly as yours ;D. Deft use of a grinder will get them back to being things of beauty (and most importantly of all, period integrity).
I realise the sarcasm in your good/bad comparison but my point is historical accuracy not beauty is the key to pre 75 bikes remaining relevent. If non period parts are allowed we'd end up with all sorts of later model parts being used on early bikes. There are plenty of period swingarms available for the MX frame...Thor, B&S/PDI, Pro-Fab, Pro-Tec,Champion, C&J and more that could be replicated. The Novation swingarm is a modern style of construction that myself and many others reckon looks wrong evin if it was legal (which it ain't)
Below are my my period Maico B&S swingarm (above) and the full B&S complete with similar alloy arm.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 08:03:25 pm »
100% agree the Novation swingarms on some bikes are nothing like the real deal and look wrong. OK on Maico or 250RZ, wrong on pre 75.

BTW as you know I have a soft spot for ugly swingarms and the shock mounts on the Yam have grown on me plus they allow you to adjust the shock position for between 2" and 10" of wheel clearnance.

formerly Marc.com

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 08:47:39 pm »
Firko that is the nicest looking tm400 I have seen for a while thanks, Michael.
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 10:13:06 pm »
Mark. that swingarm is waaaayyy fuggen ugly, makes a otherwise nice looking bike look a peice of crap (no ofence but I think you'll strugle to find a human that agrees with you). The shocks are too long as well making it look like a weird EVO bike. One of the things I enjoy about VMX is some bikes are gorgeous even in their original state and even if they weren't a race winning package eg; 74TM's might not have been close to an RH, RN but I think they looked pretty good, MXA Yamahas might have been a world away from a YZA but I think they looked better with their bumble bee color scheme, but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think your MX/YZ hybrid would look way better with a std swingarm and the correct length shocks. Cheers John.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 10:15:41 pm »
I need shocks ;) but I do like the look of the swingarm so if it works for you Marc stick with it I reckon it will look good thanks Michael. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 10:30:56 pm »
Weather they are deemed ugly or not the above swingarms are good examples of the first attempts at long travel suspension conversions by the aftermarket producers of the day.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 12:56:22 am »
Mark. that swingarm is waaaayyy fuggen ugly, makes a otherwise nice looking bike look a peice of crap (no ofence but I think you'll strugle to find a human that agrees with you). Cheers John.

woh hay the one on the RM is far uglier.  ;D The beauty of the MX swingarm is you can slip the shocks back a hole and ride pre 74 in the morning and move them forward for Ultimate Evo in the afternoon.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 09:16:38 am »
Jeez Marc, that's the plug ugliest swingarm I've seen. It's not the swingarm itself but the weird gusseting and shock mount.

Hey Mark I actually have two of them, the other is going on B44 frame with full Rickman body work  ;D
formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 09:25:15 am »
That's a coincidence Marc, mine's coming out of the Maico and is going into my Rickman Maico project.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 09:36:41 am »
sorry yamy arm is butt ugly.but then variety makes our sport/hobby what it is
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 01:03:27 pm »
sorry yamy arm is butt ugly.but then variety makes our sport/hobby what it is

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder my friend......

We were discussing building bikes from bits, my bikes seem to always start with one key part, like a swingarm.
formerly Marc.com

mx250

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 08:59:53 am »
An interesting post and bike Firko - a good read. Either the mods or the riders have transformed the bike. Here is a contemporary test. Pretty accurate as I remember it (for a MX250). Chattering, bottoming, front end; dancing rear end; heavy. But faithfully and reliable 8).

http://vintagemx.com.au/?p=325#more-325

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 02:32:54 pm »
Mark. that swingarm is waaaayyy fuggen ugly, makes a otherwise nice looking bike look a peice of crap (no ofence but I think you'll strugle to find a human that agrees with you). The shocks are too long as well making it look like a weird EVO bike. One of the things I enjoy about VMX is some bikes are gorgeous even in their original state and even if they weren't a race winning package eg; 74TM's might not have been close to an RH, RN but I think they looked pretty good, MXA Yamahas might have been a world away from a YZA but I think they looked better with their bumble bee color scheme, but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think your MX/YZ hybrid would look way better with a std swingarm and the correct length shocks. Cheers John.

And losing that cravass between the tank and seat marc would help....

# So how does that fit into pre 75 if you make a swing arm or use one of them bs ones etc and the shock mounts are obviously in a position differant to standard as per the rules ?  how does that work ? or can i take a standard MX swing arm and add Another 1 " after the shock mount as done in the day and still be legal ?  the swing arm Rules are very Grey i think .

# the bike at the top while being a tidy unit, really hasnt had a lot done to it, visually it still looks like a plain jane MX with a small tank and a differant arm, for what they probally spent on it id like to see somthing a bit better visually than that in the garage......
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 02:35:43 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff