Author Topic: Did anyone ever figure out what this frame was ?  (Read 6679 times)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Did anyone ever figure out what this frame was ?
« on: November 20, 2009, 02:00:55 pm »
looks like a 74 MX chromoly frame knock off, With a couple of differences, swing arm, gusset support etc

MX 250/360/500 motor fits so its about that size.   PRobally takes a TT as well but why the double tubes then ?

I was thinking YZ 250C, but why the Dzus clips then ?

Any idea on a maker ?

http://s309.photobucket.com/albums/kk372....lbum_view_click
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

firko

Re: Did anyone ever figure out what this frame was ?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 02:40:43 pm »
Freaky, I used your URL and all that appeard were ads for New Moon and other shite. How about actually posting the photo?

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 03:41:06 pm »
Come on Firko your a new moon kinda guy >>>> you team wolf or vampire ? heheh
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 03:50:49 pm »
Its not a Track frame as it has the peg arm splines in the frame so its either MX or TT, and itt looks like MX75/YZ250C engine mounts but then why the twin shocks and not the Mono rear move ?   From the Gusset back it looks like the 75 MXA series or a TX

Swing arm looks rough and 74 style is but with 76- reinforcing and shock points, its not a powerdyne, but i was thinking maybe some kind of knock off cause the chromeMo has some rust powder spotting maybe its that shit taiwan 4130 that Doug schwerma was using at the time but its not the welds from those Dirt track frame guys it too rough. 

other thing im thinking is a TX 650 as a kinda TT 2 stroke ? 

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 04:16:29 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

firko

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 04:58:40 pm »

It's nothing I've seen before. I suspect it's amateur as the welding is a bit...amateur. Not a bad design but fairly conventional.
Is it for sale Freaky? If so what are we looking at?

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 05:16:16 pm »
Swingarm gussets look ProFab-ish.

I vaguely recall seeing a 74 profab framed Yam MX w LTR twinshocks before but I can't find it now

mx250

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 05:43:29 pm »
I have seen an American Frame that accepted all of the MX250 bodywork, engine etc. This frame looks like it's set up to take all the MX body work. Can't remember the Brand. It was a MX'er not flat track. That looks MX.

I'll take it off your hand Freaky. You don't want to muck with it, all that rust etc. I'll give you a small donation so you can put your time into the A model hot rod you have hidden there ;D.

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 06:07:11 pm »
Looks to me like it is Profab. Check this out from AMS racing

http://amsracing.com/item.php?id=322
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 06:09:29 pm by JC »

firko

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 06:26:04 pm »
Yeah it does look like a Pro-Fab but that welding is still shit..check the undercut and inconsistant beading. Amateursville.

mainline

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 08:07:06 pm »
I'll give you a small donation so you can put your time into the A model hot rod you have hidden there .

beat me to it, what's the go with the car Freaky? I picked the whitewall and fender, hadn't picked it as a model A though. Yours? Coupe, Tudor etc? c'mon ;D I need the info

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 08:15:04 pm »
I got dibs on any ford xa-xc coupes any one has lying around. ;)
1971 tm400 and PE's

firko

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 10:27:59 pm »
I don't think that's a Model A Paul. I doubt it's a Ford. A model A doesn't have the beading around the wheel arch. My guess is a 33 Dodge or '34 Chevy. What's the answer Freaky?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 10:30:10 pm by firko »

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 08:22:29 am »
Yeah it does look like a Pro-Fab but that welding is still shit..check the undercut and inconsistant beading. Amateursville.

Maybe the apprentice did that frame! Or the welder had a hangover that day.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 11:10:10 am »
Geez your a hard man Firko, I wish I could make a frame and weld like that!!!!!.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

firko

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009, 11:26:18 am »
Yeah John, I get more finicky as I get older ;D. If you compare the TIG welding on Champion frames (especially those made by Doug Schwerma himself), C&J, Trackmaster and especially the positively brilliant welding on Harry Hindalls frames you'd realise that even though the welding on Freakys frame is adequate and will probably never fail, it's pretty untidy in comparison. If you add the beautiful bronze welding from Rickman, Cheney and Hindall again you'd see that this isn't up to commercial grade.
Having said that, I'd love that frame. The actual construction looks pretty damn good. I'd just go over the welds myself or get the Tigmaster, Chris Ellis to run another bead over the top, especially on the steering head where it appears that another run is needed to fill the undercut.
The more I look at the frame, the more I'm convinced that it's unfinished. Check out the steering head gusset inside of the tank mount, and a few other bibs and bobs which appear to be unfinished.

The hot rod could be a '34 Ford.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 02:56:38 pm by firko »