Author Topic: simmons forks  (Read 3844 times)

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
simmons forks
« on: November 16, 2009, 11:37:48 pm »
There's a set of Simmons forks going on fleabay. Up around a touch over $1,300 at the moment.  Was wondering,  for that sort of money could you get a set of Regular forks to work as good with modern technology. ie gold valves ect.. and still ahve change in the pocket.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: simmons forks
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 12:01:08 am »
Yep about  a $1000
Jesus only loves two strokes

clutchslip

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 12:15:09 am »
Hi Crash, I think in one way you're asking the wrong question. Probably 70% of the often over inflated prices that Simon's forks reach on eBay is due to their hop-up cachet, as the trickest forks available at certain time-points. And ironically, these time-points don't necessarily tie up with the way that the 'eras' are divided up. So maybe you need to start with your bike and the class structure that you are working to. As an example, the 12 inch travel versions may be only legal where you are for 78-on...and assuming that class end date is a couple of years later, many factories had caught up with Simons by then. And that's without further improving those with modern technology. So unless you're building a year-specific bling machine, eg a '77/78 RM or '78/79 CR when obviously nothing can beat the power of those uber cool stickers, in my opinion its really difficult to justify paying so much for possibly less performance.

firko

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 06:48:16 am »
Simons conventional forks are nothing special inside. They're basically copies of Maico forks with some minor improvements that your Mum could do at home. It's a fashion thing for those who need such stuff to satisfy their lust for "trick" as Clutchslip said.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 07:46:52 am »
Yep quality bling, Simons are like DG heads and other bits, you don't have to have them but you really want them.  ;D

formerly Marc.com

clutchslip

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 08:07:26 am »

ps MarcFX, how's your 370 coming along, that's not yours in the pic is it?

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 08:12:29 am »
Thanks for the info guys. It's about what I had thought.  So if I paint my fork legs yellow I'll save about $1,500 :D

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 08:27:11 am »

ps MarcFX, how's your 370 coming along, that's not yours in the pic is it?

no but mine is coming just fine. Every thing is reconditioned, just needs some assembly time.

formerly Marc.com

clutchslip

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 08:37:54 am »

Well you're almost right there Crash, but as Marc's pics show, getting your forks EXACTLY the right shade of yellow will probably takes years of research! Looking good by the way Marc, eagerly waiting to see this one finished.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 09:58:43 am »
Yep right shade of yellow, correct bolts, stainless copies of correct chain tensioners, all the little bits take time.
formerly Marc.com

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 10:30:05 pm »
Well it looks like marcfx has cornered the market.

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 11:00:04 pm »
Crash n burn,

Assuming you have forks to start with I'd say you can build a set of forks that will work well for a reasonable price

A pair of springs for about $180-200
PD valves or Emulators for about $180-250 (if memory serves correct)
Seals for about $50ish and $25 worth of oil

If you don't do the work yourself allow for a few hours at a bike shop. This will be an improvement on std and if you want to play you can get it better. It's just a matter of time and making mistakes ;D

Brent
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 07:41:41 am »
Well it looks like marcfx has cornered the market.

Yeah I mean you can find them, I have 4 sets and have paid under $500 each for 3 sets and a grand USD for fully rebuilt mint ones with clamps. Even on fleabay you can find a bargain.
formerly Marc.com

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 07:52:49 pm »
The ones on ebay came off a tt500 and had the clamps. They would of ended up at around $1,500 shipped. Plus they needed new seals and whatever else. 

Makes gold valves and some yellow paint look good.  I doubt if I could find a bargain because marcfx would be bidding against me. :D