Author Topic: Wheel / tyre sizes - pre 65  (Read 2354 times)

mainline

Wheel / tyre sizes - pre 65
« on: November 14, 2009, 04:11:24 pm »
I figure I'd better pull my finger out if the Beeza is going to be a runner by Classic Dirt time (don't want to miss out on the Chilli).

I need some guidance on the correct wheel/tyre sizes. Not so much the maximum I can legally get away with, but what looks proportionally correct. I'm assuming they're 18" rear and 21" front?

The bike will be running a Rickman front hub and CZ rear. Any info on spokes would be greatly appreciated too.

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 04:17:51 pm by mainline »

mainline

Re: Wheel / tyre sizes - pre 65
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 11:32:31 am »
Too hard or too easy to bother with?

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 03:40:10 pm »
mainline
yes 21 and 18 cz wheels are in demand for pre65 bikes along with the forks
i have a cz front end going in my pre 65 350 ariel
cheers

firko

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 04:53:34 pm »
You're on the right path with the Rickman front/CZ rear. Don't put a bigger rear tyre on than a 4.00 (or the metric equivalent) or a stormtrooper from the Queensland Rule Nazi Party will go into a hissy fit. How did you go with the basket case B40 engine Paul?

albrid-3

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 06:50:11 pm »
Talking about tyres size fellows, l am looking for a new bridgestone 2.75 x 21 or dunlop sports front 2.75 x 21, any idea where l could obtain this wish list.

mainline

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 07:36:25 pm »
cheers guys,

I've been looking through the mags at various bikes and there's one or two there that just don't look to have the right size rubber on them. Given that the bike is a bitsa, and I'm a novice I want to make sure I end up with the right bits.

I've been looking at a few sites like these guys

http://www.buchananspokes.net/categories/index.asp

to try and piece together what I need. So I may be back for more info soon ;D

Jim, I haven't forgot about the local Ariel rider, our last race meet was cancelled, so hopefully he'll be there this weekend for our practice day. If he doesn't turn up I'll ask around to get some contact details.

Firko, hopefully I can get away from work a bit early on Thursday for a look. I'll let you know how it turns out. I still have to figure out how much a rebuild is going to cost  ???

Thanks
Paul

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 07:53:33 pm »
Are you starting with complete wheels and rims or collection of hubs and rims, just the Rickman is a beetch to figure out the spoking for. If you have the original spokes then take measurements and check the angle of the end before you cut. Also the Rickman spoke diameter is pretty small and you can end up with a cock up at the nipple diameter.

formerly Marc.com

mainline

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 07:15:06 am »
g'day Marc,

no complete wheels unfortunately, just hubs. They were complete but stuffed (completely), so I had the US seller cut them loose to save on shipping.

I'd better do some more research before I order any spokes. The last thing I want is a cocked up nipple diameter.  ;D

Have you rebuilt any wheels using these hubs, or have any suppliers who knew what you needed?

Cheers

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 06:41:36 am »
just laced up a metisse rear donated by firko for my B44 and 4.00 rear works well old top riders said best size as wider sits on top and sotops some spin
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina