Author Topic: Brian Clarke  (Read 2192 times)

firko

Brian Clarke
« on: November 11, 2007, 01:26:52 pm »
I just heard that Bendigo vintage racing icon Brian Clarke is in serious condition in St John of God Hospital in Bendigo. It appears that Brian fell off a shearing shed ramp at work and broke both hips, pelvis and his shoulder. His son Tony told me that in the xrays Brians pelvis looked like a broken plate, it had that many fractures. Initially his family was told that he'd never walk again but after a nine hour operation he has recovered enough for doctors to reassess the situation and report that after a lot of therapy he'll walk again but it does appear that his work as a shearer and his motocross career are over though.

Brian Clarke is one of the nicest blokes I've met in this sport. He is the patriach of a great old racing family and along with sons Tony, Noel and Pete have travelled the length and bredth of Australia racing vintage for the last 20 years. Brian has personally organised three Vintage motocross Nats at Ravenswood, A Long Track Speedway Championship and was instrumental in getting the Nats proper MA title status, was a long term vintage commissioner and is, along with all of his sons still an A grader at the grand old age of 71!
Anybody who'd raced at Ravenswood or stayed at Brians Eagle Hawk home will know what lovely people he, his wife Bev and their family are. He really is one of our sports legends.

Son Tony told me this morning that Brian was really pissed off having to miss the Coffs Nats (he was in Ireland on holiday) and Wagga (he was in hospital) but has insisted that he and his sons will definitely be in Tassie for the Nats in June. Having known Brian for nearly twenty years and knowing just how tough the old bugger is, I know he will be there for sure.
I'm certain he'd love to hear from anyone wishing him well...............
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 01:30:26 pm by firko »

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: Brian Clarke
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 02:07:21 pm »
 You will be up and about soon Brian as always!!! You are truely a Gentleman and Champion! Best wishes from Tim Derrick and Family, together with all the farmers ,townspeople and shearers of Elmore and districts.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 02:09:25 pm »
Very sorry to hear Brian is not well, i have known and raced with his 3 sons for years and raced Brian himself in many a dirt track and he was fast and a good all rounder at MX, Dirt track and desert racing . they really are the true racing family and i wish Brian a very speedy recovery. i only hope i can ride that well into my later years.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 03:33:26 pm by Hoony »
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Phil

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 02:40:00 pm »
I always thought Clarkey was bulletproof. I agree with everybody so far in saying that Brian would be one of the nicest blokes you'd ever meet. He is the bloke who introduced the over 50 class and dominated it. I know how tough the old bugger is so Iknow he'll get better but until then I wish him a speedy recovery.

YSS

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 02:51:02 pm »
All the best to  Brian ,and his family. Always looking forward to have a chat to Brian about this or that.
I served together with him as a commissioner and his views and agendas are always sraight forward for the cause of VMX.
Man like him are getting fewer and fewer unfortunately. Brian if you read this, I hope you are on the mend ,see you in Tassie .regards Walter :) :)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 05:47:39 pm by YSS »

firko

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 04:22:21 pm »
I've just finished talking to Brian on the phone and he's in a fair bit of pain but in good spirits. He says he'll be in hospital for at least 3 months. He's already into pool therapy and he reckons the staff are really looking after him.  He's using the Tassie Nats as his goal and is adament he'll be there with his boys. He won't be racing but I reckon he'll find something to do down there. He can now enjoy retirement and nurture his olive trees (he makes the best virgin olive oil).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 04:32:49 pm by firko »