Author Topic: DT to YZ250A q's  (Read 3927 times)

Offline zorroz

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
DT to YZ250A q's
« on: November 07, 2009, 10:56:07 am »
I have a few questions for the YZ250A guru's. If I was to build a yz250a replica, what is the best bike base to use?
Few q's. Does the yza clutch cover, flywheel and sproket cover (clutch actutator) fit the dt engine? Does the yza cylinder and head fit the dt cases? I have read that forks, wheels of later models are the same as yza models. Which ones to use? From the outside the obvious differences are the outer engine cases, cylinder head, tank seat, pipe airbox, plastics. So if I was to find these parts it would look something like a yza? I've noticed a few yza parts on ebay usa lately. That matching number frame and cases would have been a good base but does the dt stuff fit inside the yza cases? Thanks guys.

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: DT to YZ250A q's
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 05:33:39 pm »
If you mean DT1/2/3 there's a fair bit of interchangeability. If you mean DT250A/B/C/D etc, they're completely diff motor; diff engine mounts etc

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 08:01:48 pm »
Ditto what JC has said.
when doing something like this it's important to get the terminology right.
a budget replica for me would be the
DT2,3 engine into a,
{modified engine bracket} DTa frame,
with the best YZa type suspension/wheels you can get your hands on fitted with the YZa tank,
MX seat etc
ignition,pipe,ported DT2/3 barrel,MXa/b or even earlier gearsets will interchange without too much drama
and you're away.
the YZa clutch,flywheel & sprocket covers will fit the DT/RT1,2,3 motor but not the DT/MXa series.
or,
just throw a YZa tank onto an MX250.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 08:05:12 pm by vandy010 »
"flat bickie"

mx250

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 08:07:16 pm »
I don't know all the details but I sus there is a lot of interchangeability. Some would be a straight swap, some might require a little engineering and some will be 'no way'.

Specifically the clutch cover can be swap but the kick start shaft has got to be swapped for YZ or RT2MX (another source of swappable parts ;)) Go here for details......

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=10418.15

Swapping for  CR gearbox might be possible for MX to RT. Not certain I will be comparing gearbox and shafts shortly. I'll let you know.

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 10:21:01 pm »
G'day Zorroz if you have  some early VMX mags have a look through as they have a bit about the first YZ and it all looks DT1  ish to me   :-\  jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 09:00:17 am »

just throw a YZa tank onto an MX250.

Now there is a very rare clutch cover that lets you convert the MX250 motor to a YZ looking motor.

formerly Marc.com

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 09:07:02 am »
then I thought why not embrace the MX250s sidecovers being that they are a nice tidy bit of kit.

formerly Marc.com

mx250

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 07:48:54 pm »
If you want a replica look ditch the swingarm and use the plate rather than the sidecover ;).

Then get a later model YZ clutch cover without the oil pump to complete the 'look'. ;)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 11:39:15 pm »
If you want a replica look ditch the swingarm and use the plate rather than the sidecover ;).

Then get a later model YZ clutch cover without the oil pump to complete the 'look'. ;)

Actually I am in love with that swingarm ;), slavish replicas will always be kinda boring.

But still would like an idea of which later model YZ clutch cover ( B/C ?) fits it.

BRG Marc
formerly Marc.com

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 12:41:12 pm »
Why wouldnt you just paint the normal MXA with a silver tank ?  looks like a lot of work to me for very little gain.  the forks stick out like dog's..............

There is so much YZ and TM stuff coming up lately not only in complete cheap bikes but in parts its not funny.

I got some Dt1 frames here Zorroz,  if you want a place to start...............
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline zorroz

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 12:53:47 pm »
So far I have learnt the DT1 frame is good to use but what about engine stuff?

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 02:02:28 pm »
Why wouldnt you just paint the normal MXA with a silver tank ?  looks like a lot of work to me for very little gain.  the forks stick out like dog's..............

Forks have a date with my lathe machine..... we can give them that wasted look, gold valves and a few other tweaks that would probably leave the YZ ones in the shade.
formerly Marc.com

mx250

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 04:19:42 pm »
So far I have learnt the DT1 frame is good to use but what about engine stuff?

Here's four Yammy frames. The first one is an RT/DT1. The second is a YZa. You'll will notice there are big differences. I don't think even lowering the RT/DT will give you a close appearance.

The next one (below) is the RT/DT2MX. It's closer but still substantial differences. The last one is the MX/DT250/360. This is completely different. The YZ has design elements of both the RT and MX frames. For my Hallman Project  was going to meld in the RT bottom rail in to a MX/DT frame. This is not straight forward but I hope is doable (the Hallman Project is on te backburner at the mo ::)).

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 04:37:12 pm »
LIke i said ..looks like a lot of hard work for an orphan.

Question i have is what holds the Tank to the frame on the Dt1 ? none of the one i have have the clip or rubber band, and ill be stuffed if it makes sence as it only has one rod like thing on one side ? so its off set........

as they say..........Please explain.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 04:39:56 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 04:49:26 pm »
Engines the easy part, just use a normal DT1 and change the clutch and Ign sets over to the YZa, wouldnt pick it from 10 feet, then get onto a barrel with out the vertical stays, or a YZ one, or if its on the cheap just cut them out and als grind in the find  slots.

IF its just a replica you dont need to go inside the motor as its only ever going to be a Dt1 in wolves clothes so save you time and money.

Replica on have to look like it not perfomr like it.  IF its a Dt1 look alike  just change the cases and body work and forks to the right ones, thats as close as you need to be. 

IF it wants it to run like the YZ, stop.....  just go out and buy a YZ and spend time doing one of them up , instead.
74 Yamaha  flattracker's