Author Topic: another forking issue :(  (Read 3240 times)

Doc

another forking issue :(
« on: November 09, 2007, 09:26:29 pm »
okay..story goes I am trying to disassemble a pair of TM75 forks. It's the the type of fork where the top fork cap is more like a bolt with a rubber seal that actually goes thru the top yoke and screws into a 10mm thread inside the solid top of the inner leg. Problem is the usual..bloody damper rod is spinning when I undo the bottom screw. Anyone know what type of fitting I need to slip inside to hold the rod? I have tried a long flat blade, a long phillips head but both resulted in didly squat. I also tried pulling and compressing whilst undoing and still it spins it's brain out. Remember the hole in the top of the leg is only 10mm dia so it limits what can be shoved down it. Next I'll head back down and try a square end on the bar but after that I am at a loss..anyone pulled these crappy little forks apart b4 to know I'd love to hear  ::)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 09:29:53 pm by Doc »

oldfart

Re: another forking issue :(
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 10:00:29 pm »
Doc ... Not you again with ya forking tubes ...put some glue tack,  or some of the ankle biters play plaster seen  ;) on the end of a rod to find out what the shape is like inside

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 10:17:55 pm »
have we tried a sharpened length of  wooden dowel?

Just checked the schematics for Tm75 on alpha sport and they are a bit different

Offline crs-and-rms

• Legend
  • heaven 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 11:00:59 pm »
have you tried rattle gun from underneath ?

Doc

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 06:49:55 pm »
Poo! Poo! Poo! Bugger! Bugger! Poo! Poo! back to pick your brains again folks.. :P

well I tried all the above mentioned,

CRS..Rattle gun is no good as the damper rod retaining bolt is actually a 6mm ph screw. It's spinning now but then so too is the inner damper rod. Bugger Bum! :-[

Pokeymon, Dowl isn't much use. The hole on top is only for a 10mm bolt and really does limit what one can see or shove down it.  :'( the forks are indeed very different. They are not forks as we know them and I believe they may have originated on another planet  ???

and Sir Oldfart :P thanks..I now also have a piece of plastacine (excuse spelling) on top of the damper rod that I can't see but I kinda figured that would happen as it expanded a little and would not come out cleanly..matter of fact it did not want to come out at all  :o  >:(

tonight I am going to arc weld an 6mm allen key to long bar and try that in a last ditch attempt to be nice :-\ if that doesn't work I have a nice new flexy disc I can chop the tops off with >:(

Extreme measure yes, but I need answers and I need the spacers on the top of the springs from these otherwise already rooted forks but I need to get them apart so as I can fit them into the item below  ;D

« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 07:56:24 pm by Doc »

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 07:22:18 pm »
Hey Doc, is that a yellow yamaha front guard I see in the back ground? ;D

Good luck with the forks ???
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Doc

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 07:27:39 pm »
 :D noooo DJ..1 would be a Tony D replica and the other is genuine zook. I do have one yamaha front guard..off the model that had the little air deflector on the top..it's been painted too..it's not bad otherwise but the defflector bit is gone..anyone want it?? free..except for post..as a rule I normally don't have any yamaha parts  ;D

Doc

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 02:17:52 pm »
well, I had a little time again this morning so I thought I'd attack these pesky forklegs again  :P popped out the seal clip, bit of a tap with a piece of hardwood on the top on top of the lower and presto!  :o they all falled apart!! phark! ??? all that time I wasted rooting around with the damper rod and locating screw was in vain as it remains intact when the leg is split by simply removing the one clip on top of the seal..the obvious is always the last thing ya try eh..some days are diamonds  ::)

oldfart

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 04:01:57 pm »

Thought you be out playing with the snakes and spiders  ;D

Doc

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 05:08:52 pm »
nah, too wet this morning oldfart then by this afternoon I'd lost any motivation I may have had  ::)