Author Topic: People You miss in the VMX scene  (Read 5854 times)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
People You miss in the VMX scene
« on: November 01, 2009, 02:09:06 pm »
Hey Guys, I just got the idea to start this topic.Seems I've been accumulating too many of lifes drama's at the onetime lately.
Retreating to my garage I was thinking of the BeyondBlue thread on this forum from a while back and also there was another thread on legends in the sport or scene ( that was not about riding skills but rather blokes who have helped other  blokes out) that was started by a member for the purpose of counter acting some negative vibes that were getting outta hand at the time on the forum with positive ones.
So this thread is meant to be in a similar light with the same purpose of spreading positiveness between forum members and possibly bring some folks outta the woodwork.Nothing else.
Its specifically about great people that you have meet and freinds that you have made through the VMX scene who are for one reason or another nolonger around the scene.
I went to watch my first Viper event back in 96 at Langlang , apart from all those beautifull VMX bikes it was the old friends that I meet that got me all hyped up about VMX(most of them are nolonger in it).I was raving about it for weeks and I've got alist as long as my arm of people who have come and gone since then but I'll leave it for someone else to start.
Cheers Guys .

p.s I imagine Firko's list would be huge- maybe feed to it us a bit at a time Firko if you are goin to post.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 02:12:54 pm by motomaniac »

All Things 414

Re: People You miss in the VMX scene
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 04:32:04 pm »
Ron Schuller (not sure if that's the correct way to spell it). One of the first guys I ever got to know in Viper and just an all-round nice guy. He loved Viper and whilst he wasn't the fastest guy out there, he just lived for it. He'd do every ride school he could and ride whenever the sun was up. He had a couple of very nice CR 125 & 250 Red Devil's, and a half dozen or so other bikes (all very smick).

Ron was the opposite of myself. Very quiet and a total gentleman. But I didn't hold that against him. He didn't brag or big-note himself. Just loved playing with his old bikes.

Sadly he passed away two years ago leaving a very young family of three children. Most of his bikes were boxed up and put into storage to be released to his son when turned 18 or 21, I can't remember. It'll be grouse to be around in 15 or so years when those bikes see the light of day again. I doubt the Evo class will still be about but his kid will have some pretty nice ornaments in the pool room....

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 04:37:19 pm »
On the forum I miss;
Quicksilver for all his bits and bobs for sale,and contributing to the joke page 8)
Eno for being a personality of knowledge.Quick and witty.

Track/Campfire side;
Phil H for being a gentle wise intelligent British bike enthusiast.  8)
Phil E for looking like this most of the time   :P   .He was called the English sheepdog due to his beard-Apparently he is sanddragging and traveling.Good shots of him on www.vmxwa.com right hand side on the main page.
Sue L for her great filming of VMX and the movie nights in the shed.Holding my hand when I had too many reds(I've matured now) and for just being a girl  :)
Brian S for his dancing abilities on the Xmas windup dance floor.  8)
Lots of the older vmxer's from five years or so ago.They do rock up now and then for a catch up.
cheers West Oz
Best is in the West !!

firko

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 05:48:03 pm »
There are indeed a number of good people who have passed through the exit turnstiles that I dearly miss. The two whose passing hit me the hardest are also the two guys who most defined what I've done with my life for the last 25 years.

Geoff Eldridge and Ray Ryan taught me more about passion and commitment than anybody else in my life. Geoff spotted some sort of potential in a couple of 100 word pieces he'd asked me to write back in 1986 and encouraged me to write more. At first it was all hand written and pretty raw but to his credit he published them almost unedited to enable me to recognise my own mistakes and from that develop a style of my own. My work with VMX and other mags is the direct result of the potential that GE saw in me and for that I'm eternally grateful.

If GE discovered the writer in me, it was Ray Ryan who instilled the passion for the craft. Rays own passion and ability with words had no equal and to work alongside him was an honour and a privelege. Rays love of old bikes and his steadfast mission to turn VMX Magazine into the standard for all motorcycle magazines to strive for was contagious and exciting to be a part of. His writing bore no equal and to have been nurtured by one of our professions true masters was a genuine treat.

The fact that both Ray and GE shared my passion for old dirt bikes, our sports history and good wine made it only natural that we become good mates. Their early deaths hurt me deeply and I miss them both very much.

Our sport wouldn't be anywhere as good a place without the contributions of these great men. The book I'm currently writing will be dedicated to both of them. It's my way of saying thanks.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 08:30:34 pm »
Ron Schuller (not sure if that's the correct way to spell it). One of the first guys I ever got to know in Viper and just an all-round nice guy. He loved Viper and whilst he wasn't the fastest guy out there, he just lived for it. He'd do every ride school he could and ride whenever the sun was up. He had a couple of very nice CR 125 & 250 Red Devil's...

Yer Ross I was at "The Bool" that day for Ronnies lastride.I never meet him so I didnt know him(I'll take your word for it that he wasn't like you at all ::)) or realize what was going on when this Guy turned up with his trick CR's after scrutineering and practice was over.At first I thought this Guy must be joking if he thinks he's going to ride today , must be some arrogant .....
Then Macca made the announcement that he was doing a lap during the lunch break.He basically dragged himself off his death bed to go and do that and was totally spent afterwards.Pretty sad but good that he managed it . His last wish I guess. God speed #75

ted

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 09:27:33 pm »
OK Firko...Now i know why i thumb thru the pages till i get to your column First when i receive VMX mag

By far (IMO) the best read in the mag

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 03:13:19 pm »
'Tis a funny sport this one we race. I could mention a few that have gone to the great finish line in the sky and they'd all be pulling a wheely over the line to take the checkered.
But more important right now is the great bunch of folks that are sidecar fraternity not only here in Qld but also all over Aus and even in Europe.
I'm not sure why, but all of these people are a different blend to the normal 2 stroke mix we call motocross racers in that they all work for the common goal of getting as many sidecars on the track as we can, keeping them running and enjoying a couple of coldies afterwards.
We are the first to figure a handicap race is best for the crowd and even when the organisers say it should be in the regs, we find a way of macking that handicap ourselves and everyone is happy. Try doing that in modern motocross!
and even when some are too old to have a go we can still find a way to give them a race or take their outfit out so they can enjoy that pleasure of seeing it go round one more time.
To that end I wish all of you a long and fruitful ride-whereever or whatever your moto passion is.

Offline 2 shocks

• A-Grade
  • Gods Country !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 05:55:08 pm »
Yes Ross, you are spot on about your post on Ronny Scouller. The first time I met Ronny Scouller was at Barrabool & I was having one of those horrible Maico days, Shaun was systematically destroying the 81 490 & then the 79 440 & was really pissed off. Standing in the background watching all this happen was Ronny. At the end of all this Ronny came up and said he was going to restore a 1980 440 Maico just what I didnt need to hear at that moment in time, we because close Maico mates. The last time I saw Ronny was at Barrabool again a few weeks before his death, he desperately wanted to ride his newly finished 440 Maico but the f ### thing would not fire up. Ron was just skin & bone at this stage & in very poor shape. How he rode that 250 Honda around the track on that freezing cold day was a testament to the guys courage. We had a very private chat leaning over the Maico, before saying goodbye. Even now I get emotional thinking about that day. He was a great guy & didnt like to get caught up in the political crap, he just loved old bikes.

Ken Baker Maico #54

eno

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 12:32:36 pm »
On the forum I miss;
Quicksilver for all his bits and bobs for sale,and contributing to the joke page 8)
Eno for being a personality of knowledge.Quick and witty.

Track/Campfire side;
Phil H for being a gentle wise intelligent British bike enthusiast.  8)
Phil E for looking like this most of the time   :P   .He was called the English sheepdog due to his beard-Apparently he is sanddragging and traveling.Good shots of him on www.vmxwa.com right hand side on the main page.
Sue L for her great filming of VMX and the movie nights in the shed.Holding my hand when I had too many reds(I've matured now) and for just being a girl  :)
Brian S for his dancing abilities on the Xmas windup dance floor.  8)
Lots of the older vmxer's from five years or so ago.They do rock up now and then for a catch up.

cheers West Oz

Awww! I didn't think anyone would notice, still lurking around.  The thing that always used to haunt me as I built the CZ & entered the world of vmx was when my addiction to electric guitars & amplification would kick in.
The CZ is safely tucked away under wraps still coated in the dust from our kiwi finals in April. Pipe brackets broke that day & I decided it was time to re-engineer but got real busy catching up with other stuff.
I wanted to give the whole racing thing a miss this year, as much to reduce the stress of scraping up entry, accomodation & gas money etc... as not really having the burning need to race a motocross bike.

I spent the winter tinkering with my guitars & spending my loot on gawd dang amplifiers. I've got my 8yr old son keen on the music thing too.
The motobike building skills have been transfered over to building a guitar just recently, the following pic is what I just completed last week. It was an internet challenge to build a Telecaster style guitar in about six weeks for a hundred dollars.  I got out the trusty Stihl 044 & cut a slab out of a pine log, hand made every piece of hardware barr the tuners that you can see, the neck pre-existed. It was fun playing around with a slab of wood, I got reaquainted with all sorts of woodworking handtools that I forgot I owned.

The motorbike thing will come back - always a part of me...

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 12:42:20 pm »

[/quote]

Awww! I didn't think anyone would notice, still lurking around.  The thing that always used to haunt me as I built the CZ & entered the world of vmx was when my addiction to electric guitars & amplification would kick in.
The CZ is safely tucked away under wraps still coated in the dust from our kiwi finals in April. Pipe brackets broke that day & I decided it was time to re-eng

The motorbike thing will come back - always a part of me...

Awesome. Thats why I got the idea to start this topic.

firko

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 01:30:14 pm »
Nice guitar Eno. I love the concept of a hundred buck guitar. Back in '96 I went to a gig by Mike Henderson and the Bluebloods, a blues band from Nashville in San Francisco.Half way through the gig he pulled out a guitar to play an Elmore James slide medley. Before he started he told the story that he'd bought the guitar at a garage sale for $50 and that it had been the son of the families school project twenty years before. He went on to tell us that the builder of the guitar had died in an accident before he ever got to play it so...out of reverence to a kid he'd never met he pulls the guitar out every now and again and gives it a bit of a thrash. He said it only kept tune for a couple of songs but it had a special sound, unlike every other guitar he owned. The guitar looked a lot like your home made special and sounded pretty good to me as he ripped into a violent version of Elmores classic slide anthem "Shake Your Moneymaker" on it. I reckon the kid would have been stoked.

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 02:02:08 pm »
Never had the priviledge of meeting Ron,Geoff or Ray but the  respect and affection shown by you guys on this thread is obvious.Some really great stories.I second that,that is a nice guitar Eno!

eno

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 02:08:32 pm »
Nice guitar Eno. I love the concept of a hundred buck guitar. Back in '96 I went to a gig by Mike Henderson and the Bluebloods, a blues band from Nashville in San Francisco.Half way through the gig he pulled out a guitar to play an Elmore James slide medley. Before he started he told the story that he'd bought the guitar at a garage sale for $50 and that it had been the son of the families school project twenty years before. He went on to tell us that the builder of the guitar had died in an accident before he ever got to play it so...out of reverence to a kid he'd never met he pulls the guitar out every now and again and gives it a bit of a thrash. He said it only kept tune for a couple of songs but it had a special sound, unlike every other guitar he owned. The guitar looked a lot like your home made special and sounded pretty good to me as he ripped into a violent version of Elmores classic slide anthem "Shake Your Moneymaker" on it. I reckon the kid would have been stoked.

Thats a moving story of human empathy, I like the guys style. Nothing beats putting personality into an object of wood or steel  than built with hands that care.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 05:50:18 pm »
Eno gidday mate, long time no hear, I hope all is well. Me and Karen must get up your way soon.
We hope to see you and Jonah back on bikes soon  ;D
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

firko

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 07:19:45 pm »
The Ron Schuller tribute reminds me of another story, this time in Sydney.

Greg Sweikert was also one of those blokes who didn't shake the cage. He just went about his vintage racing in his own quiet way, always approachable but never in your face. He wasn't one of the fast guys and his job as a fireman often prevented him from turning up to every meeting but when he did you could bet his bikes were in pristine condition and he'd have a smile on his face. Greg was one of those blokes who truly loved the vintage scene and wasn't a one make bigot. He'd race his immaculate B50 BSA and Greeves one meeting, his Maicos or Elsinores at another and when it came to dirt track he had an Astro or Hagon Jap or Hagon Bully to pick from, thoroughly enjoying his time on board them all.

Greg had been missing for a while so one day I gave him a ring to find out why he hadn't been showing up. It was then that he told me that the chemo therapy was knocking him around a bit making it a bit hard to race. Apparently he had advanced prostate cancer but hadn't wanted to bother anyone with his problems. He even apologised for not turning up and volunteering to wave a flag.

One Saturday arvo not long after Greg turned up at my house for the first time ever and over a couple of beers in the shed he told me that the prognosis was pretty crook and that his doctors had given him 12 months to live. He looked a million bucks, told me he still felt great and had decided to take his family on the last big trip together, a cross America Route 66 style road trip. Every now and then I'd get a post card or a phonecall from him in some obscure place and he'd even managed to fit in a bunch of AHRMA races. He and the family were really packing it in. He kept telling me they were having a ball and the excitement in his voice and brightness of his postcards told me that he truly meant it. I got the feeling that the cancer had been sidetracked for the time being and he was living whatever time he had left to the hilt.

Upon his return he once again dropped in at my home with a t shirt he'd bought me at the AHRMA National at Hard Rock Raceway in Georgia and a flag for my antique USPS mailbox. He'd noticed that my flag had been broken off by vandals and took it upon himself to buy me a new one without even discussing it with me. He was that kind of bloke. The trip had obviously taken a lot out of him though as he looked 20 years older and a lot thinner than when we'd previously met. He was fading.

At that time Ray Ryan was organising the first Classic Dirt for Kyneton and Greg and I made plans to meet up there in a month or so but in my heart I didn't think he'd have the power left in him to go. What would I know! Upon arrival at Kyneyon the very first to greet us was Greg and his 7 year old son Nathan. He'd made it and along with his young bloke he'd bought his beloved B50 and Maico 250 as well as Nathans pitbike. Greg and the kid had a ball, laughed with us as we formed Klub Kevlar and rode all weekend. On Sunday night over even more beers Greg told us that he only had a matter of weeks to live and that he'd wanted to share one last bonding experience with his son before the inevitable. There were some hard men around that BBQ that evening yet there wasn't a dry eye seen. It was a special evening for all of us.

Sadly, Greg died a fortnight later with the usual lack of fuss. He simply went to sleep and didn't wake up. In the short few years I knew him I never heard one single whinge about what life had dealt him. He just got on with using what he had to the fullest, right to the end. I'm a better person for knowing Greg Sweikert and our sport is a lesser place without him.

Greg in action on his beloved B50 at Clarence                                     

« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 07:34:32 pm by firko »