Author Topic: Evo ultimate class  (Read 30680 times)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Evo ultimate class
« Reply #120 on: October 28, 2009, 03:55:53 pm »

Ah... now we're getting somewhere.

The next step is to work out "What is a consumable part?"... At the moment, the GCRs don't even try to consider them.

Stuff like tyres and chains are obvious, but what about exhaust pipes, rear shocks, handlebars, etc?

How do you write a rule that bans fat bars, but not old-school cross-brace-less alloy bars, or old-school 1" OD bars?
Easy .Its already written. "All components to be of the era of the machine"Old schools bars that are of the era are by the rules acceptable, shocks etc should also be.New tech Bars from a later era arenot by the rules accepted.Personally I am not going to protest someone for running tapered bars.I am just stating how I read the rules.I prefer my bikes to look peroid correct as possible and I would not hesitate to snap a pic of a restored CZ for instance with weld on perches on the bars but I wouldn't bother with one that had Gold anodized fat bars.
And if parts are reproduced to original specs thats also OK ,if they are reproduced with later features and technologies then that its questionable.In the end what ever the GCR's say its between the guys in the sport , what they build and what they protest

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 28, 2009, 05:22:42 pm »
"All components to be of the era of the machine".

So we're back to saying that you've gotta run pre-85 (or pre-75 or whatever) tyres?

Either is a rule that is enforced consistantly, or its a rule that is ignored consistantly - but if you choose you use it sometimes but not others, then we're going to keep having this discussion until the end of time.
The third option is to make the rule apply specifically to some components, and specifically not to others, and explain what "of the era" actually means.

At the moment its like we're trying to build a house, but the plans only have dimensions that say things like "Big", "Not so big", "this bit is really small" and nobody can actually agree on exactly what size anything should be.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 28, 2009, 06:25:53 pm »
"All components to be of the era of the machine".

So we're back to saying that you've gotta run pre-85 (or pre-75 or whatever) tyres?

Either is a rule that is enforced consistantly, or its a rule that is ignored consistantly - but if you choose you use it sometimes but not others, then we're going to keep having this discussion until the end of time.
The third option is to make the rule apply specifically to some components, and specifically not to others, and explain what "of the era" actually means.

At the moment its like we're trying to build a house, but the plans only have dimensions that say things like "Big", "Not so big", "this bit is really small" and nobody can actually agree on exactly what size anything should be.

tires are the same for everyone .do you think that fitting another tyre is a modification?If so good luck to you. Tapered bars can only be fitted to a period machine with modifications and are a modification themselves .The tyre on the market are the tyres on the market you have to use them.everyone.If tapered bars were the only bars on the market then no contention because you cant race without tyres or handlebars but they are not original type bars are still on the market , you buy them and bolt them on your bike .just like you always did.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 28, 2009, 06:32:03 pm »
Has anyone ever applied to the commision to have the evo rules changed ? If so what was the request and the response?
Seems to be a lot of complaints about how ambiguous the rules are, just wonder if anyone has attempted to rectify it, or are they content to whinge?
NOT INTENDED AT ANYONE IN PARTICULAR, JUST AN OBSERVATION.

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 28, 2009, 06:47:53 pm »
I have been thinking about putting something in writing for a while, as well as suggesting the pre '78 class travel limits be increased to 10 inches (& adding the VB Montesa to the list of eligible machines) . Somehow, I think it will be an exercise in futility. But it is worth a try, rather than whinging about it as you say . I am a long way from the action , but I suppose that I have to forward my submission through Dave Tanner . I think that the Whitsunday Dirt Riders might have been the club that originally proposed the pre '78 classes , so I might ask some of them how they went about it . 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 06:58:50 pm by Husky500evo »

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 28, 2009, 10:31:55 pm »
I have been thinking about putting something in writing for a while, as well as suggesting the pre '78 class travel limits be increased to 10 inches (& adding the VB Montesa to the list of eligible machines) . Somehow, I think it will be an exercise in futility. But it is worth a try, rather than whinging about it as you say . I am a long way from the action , but I suppose that I have to forward my submission through Dave Tanner . I think that the Whitsunday Dirt Riders might have been the club that originally proposed the pre '78 classes , so I might ask some of them how they went about it . 

Yer I'll back you on that one.Seems bloody daft that bikes available in that period are not allowed to race in a vmx class for that period and or must be modified from stock to be eligible

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #126 on: October 28, 2009, 10:41:41 pm »
How do you write a rule that bans fat bars, but not old-school cross-brace-less alloy bars, or old-school 1" OD bars?

were the bars in the 70's actually tapered from 1 or inch and 1/8 in the middle and then tappered to 7/8? i think thats the question you gotta ask.

i know there was 1 inch bars all the way along and solid alloy 7/8 bars with no cross bars back then but was there actually tapered bars?

I dont think you have to ban all tapered or oversize bars. its really not too hard to pick and work out whats a modern Pro Taper or TAG tapered bar with their bling gold and blue annodizing etc, thats the ones you want to ban not the period oversize stuff.

you might be able to word it

'all modern bars that taper from large diameter at clamps to 7/8 at control ends are not allowed. Vintage period oversize or tapered (if any exist) are allowed' now i would think you would need to be able to prove they are from back in the day aswell otherwise guys will just be painting a modern set flat black or what ever to make them look old and vintage.

I think the word 'tapered' is the key. if no tapered vintage mx bars existed back then that makes wording the rule simple ' no tapered bars'
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 10:47:22 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 28, 2009, 10:54:26 pm »
There weren't any tapered bars in the 70's, only Inter-Am solid alloy bars without a cross brace.
Why all the fuss about tapered bars? The rules are in place to stop fitment of later model performance enhancing parts. Since when have handlebars been performance enhancing?
I do agree that fatbars look stupid on a vintage bike.