Author Topic: Idleling problem  (Read 960 times)

lc4

Idleling problem
« on: October 20, 2009, 12:31:42 pm »
Have a Honda 50 (4 stroke) and cannot get it to idle in that you can set the idle screw at a certain rpm blip the throttle and it will slowly run down and stall. Have set air mixture at a happy medium (about 1 1/2 turns out from closed)  have fitted a new OEM carby,have set valve clearances,has new plug and strong spark (new points fitted). Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 12:33:56 pm by lc4 »

monaro308

Re: Idleling problem
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 09:16:54 pm »
I can't remember if the 50 has the points at the engine flywheel or running off the cam....i'm just going off my SL70 from 30 years ago  :D  :D  :D

Check timing with a timing light.
Could have sticky or loose counter weight/springs causing strange idle problems.
Also try removing the air cleaner and with your hand,slowly block off the back of the carby....if the revs rise,you have a lean problem with either manifold leaks,carb jetting/adjustment or burnt out valve/s
You can also try with the choke on and see if it runs better or worse.
Just a few things for you to check.....cheers.

lc4

Re: Idleling problem
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 09:34:40 pm »
I can't remember if the 50 has the points at the engine flywheel or running off the cam....i'm just going off my SL70 from 30 years ago  :D  :D  :D

Check timing with a timing light.
Could have sticky or loose counter weight/springs causing strange idle problems.
Also try removing the air cleaner and with your hand,slowly block off the back of the carby....if the revs rise,you have a lean problem with either manifold leaks,carb jetting/adjustment or burnt out valve/s
You can also try with the choke on and see if it runs better or worse.
Just a few things for you to check.....cheers.

Thanks for the input monaro308
Points are located behind the flywheel and only offer gap setting other than cam timming which is spot on. Valves are 100% and all new gaskets on the inlet side, I will try your other trick and see what happens ;)