Author Topic: An Emotional Announcement.....  (Read 4484 times)

mx250

An Emotional Announcement.....
« on: October 16, 2009, 07:59:43 am »
.....from Erik Buell

http://www.buell.com/en_us/

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iby6HPwmtvHa0aEPTtDQb0Bm5KzQD9BBI6IG0

I wonder how much this is a problem with Buell and how much it is a prob with HD ::).

Should rip out and buy a new Buell if you can find one - they will become a collectable 8) ;).

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: An Emotional Announcement.....
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 10:00:28 am »
Well won't be missed by real Harley owners, the writing was on the wall for Buell when they tried to develop a water cooled motor, that really alienates Harley riders, like that embarrasment the V Rod that only chicks and poofy Europeans buy.

Harley themselves though have turned it around with some cool models and really gone after the custom bike market.

Harleys 3Q profit result is pretty frightening.

formerly Marc.com

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 10:07:59 am »
None of this fancy stuff, just whack road tyres on your Soft tail and you are racing. Imagine how fast this guy would on a MotoGP bike.

formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 10:15:51 am »
I don't fancy being on the outside of him in the first corner. :o

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 10:17:53 am »
Dear Eric,

quit crying you big poof, here are some proper race harleys, you even built a couple yourself (XBRR).....

formerly Marc.com

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 10:20:47 am »
I don't fancy being on the outside of him in the first corner. :o

Too true but the guy actually beat some badly ridden KTM690s home..... South Islander...say no more.
formerly Marc.com

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 03:45:54 pm »
You would think they would just TRY & sell Buell. Shurly it would be worth somthing as a going concern.

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 03:57:21 pm »
Whats the difference between a harley and a cattle dog?............................................
a cattle dog can get in the back of the ute by itself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 04:04:30 pm »
You would think they would just TRY & sell Buell. Shurly it would be worth somthing as a going concern.

I am sure they did their sums, they can probably get more liquidating its assetts, or they may wish to retain the right to the R&D. So looks like Harley just went out of the sports bike market.

The brand names Buell and MV still exist, so you may find the MoCo will resurrect Buell or at least keep the option in case the US economy recovers. Next will be all the medium scale guys, AIM, Big Dog etc..... Victory has Polaris behind them and the MoCo is still rich, they have great products, so they can use the economic opportunity to squeeze out the others. Harley has already gone after the custom guys big time.

formerly Marc.com

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 08:55:56 pm »
Gotta love the ironhead sportster...
OLDYZMAN
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline jack82

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 10:03:06 pm »
Well won't be missed by real Harley owners,

What's a real Harley owner ??

I've been riding HD's for 27 years.........I love my Buell.

mx250

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 10:18:15 pm »
Whats the difference between a harley and a cattle dog?............................................
a cattle dog can get in the back of the ute by itself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
;D ;D

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 11:46:23 pm »
.........why do harley riders fight so much ??.........theres only so much room in the back of a ute ;D ;D ;D

..........why do they call them cattledog bikes ??........they'll go out by themselves but they come back in the ute ;D ;D ;D

Roger

mx250

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 06:24:31 am »
.........why do harley riders fight so much ??.........theres only so much room in the back of a ute ;D ;D ;D

..........why do they call them cattledog bikes ??........they'll go out by themselves but they come back in the ute ;D ;D ;D

Roger
;D ;D
What/who would we pick on if there wasn't Harley's :P ;D

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 09:11:59 am »
Harley was feeling the pinch before the recession hit. Harley boomed in the late 80's and 90's when all the  mid life crisis guy's ran out and bought one. Well those blokes are all in their 60's and 70's now. The new mid life crisis guy's are all buying adventure bikes and touring the outback. 

All the young blokes are buying or building aftermarket choppers.

I visited the Buell factory back in '91, before it was bought by Harley. It was just a small workshop down a lane way in a small town. I ended up buying a 2000 Buell Cyclone.  It has the 1200 sporster motor but with shaved flywheels' lumpy cams and high flow heads from the factory. What a beast of a machine. It handles and stops like nothing else.

It's funny, back in the 60' and 70's when everyone bought an old 42 WLA for their first Harley. One that already had had about twenty previous first time Harley owners. Owners that all brought their unique four thumb no idea mechanics to the maintenance schedule. Therefore most bikes where mechanically stuffed. keep in mind that most bike where twenty to thirty years old on average, and that people were trying to use them as daily riders.

This gave them a reputation for being unreliable that has lived to this day.
The irony is, is that they are dead reliable.