Author Topic: Future of Viper Racing, indeed all VMX racing. ie Venue/Club support  (Read 12707 times)

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
Re: Future of Viper Racing, indeed all VMX racing. ie Venue/Club support
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 10:01:29 pm »
i love racing monza one of my fav tracks
bit too far for me to go now :'(
i think trev is right keep it simple
have 2 big pre entrie type meetings (like conondale classic)
and the rest of the meetings club days no points or trophys
just fun, it works up here we average between 60 to 140 riders at our normal club race or practice days
soon as you have a series or championship it stuffs up
as there are too many rounds and if you stuff up 1 round
you have stuffed the series :'(
try alternating open practice days with race days
practice days are fun heaps of riding
get to thrash mates bikes,casual day usually finish early
everyones happy
and its not booming up here because of cd6 or nats
it was like this before them and is growing stronger
cheers rusty ;D
follow me to first turn

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 10:14:14 pm »
From the outside looking in, there are alot of good suggestions in this thread for clubs to look into here. I think 1 round per month, per state is more than enough for most riders. It gives plenty of time for bike and body maintenance between rounds. All clubs have the ability to look at the proposed calender on the MA website BEFORE an individual club sets it's race calender in concrete. The less overlapping of events, the better the chance there is for getting good numbers to an event. Albrid (g`day Dave) was spot on the money in my opinion when he said that all the clubs need to work together, both in promoting the sport of VMX and "the club". I think the biggest problem here is that there are too many Ego`s involved. Each club thinks it is better than the next. What a load of crap! There is absolutely no reason why each club can`t hold "interclub" events throughout the season, each sharing responsibility for the day. The added bonus there is that the clubbies get to ride at different venues, each with it's own challenges. A pre90 club like Viper, for example, could hold a meeting catering for pre75 to pre90 at any number of its excellent venues. The Pre75 guys just have to accept that there are some big jumps and doubles to deal with, and ride within the bikes capabilities. Conversely, most guys love nothing better than ripping up a fast flowing grasstrack. In some cases, surely there is enough room to make a pre suspension (75) and a modern track out of the same course. Another bonus to the "interclub" type meeting is some of us ride in multiple era`s so we could get the chance to ride something different for a change. Another positive is with having bikes spread accross all VMX eras at the same meeting is increasing the liklihood of decent spectator numbers. If the clubs actually promote the event within the local communities the event is being held in ( posters in shop fronts, bikeshops, newspapers etc.) they may find a good crowd of spectatators turning up, most of who will spend at least a few bucks at the canteen.

Shit....there goes the milk crate!
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 11:47:51 pm »
Totally agree. I can't understand what all the trouble is with pre-entering?  ???

Ross maybe there is no trouble with pre entering - maybe some guys just aren't going.
The last round is often a tough one and there's MOTOGP at the Island so that might count for a few.
The week after is Boag's so that might count for a few more ??? Dun no !

All Things 414

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 06:53:12 am »

My son wants to race pre85, l am pre75, where do l go, l think vintage racing needs to come together and stay together and design the tracks better,

I can't understand this sort of stuff. People obsessed about being one big happy VMX racing family.
All riding around on billiard table tracks. The two just don't go together! (Pre 75 and Post '75)
Evo and Pre 85 bikes actually have SUSPENSION! Most Evo and Pre 85 bikes should be able to handle most modern tracks with ease (Yeah. Ok. You can cut out the uphill triple if you like).

And Monza is the perfect track for Evo and Pre 85 bikes SO WHERE ARE YOU ALL!??  ???

* Actually David Viper has a modern class so your son could ride Pre 85 and you could take it easy on yourself and ride a modern.
Fun in the sun..... 8)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 07:12:59 am by All Things 414 »

All Things 414

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 07:17:32 am »
i love racing monza one of my fav tracks
bit too far for me to go now :'(

Ah. That old chestnut. You'll have to come up with a better excuse than the old "I live two and a half thousand kilometres away" routine Russell...... :D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 07:36:23 am by All Things 414 »

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 09:46:06 am »
l think its time their should be a very big meeting with all the clubs to discuss the amalgamation with all models and era. The Australia titles worked well, put your thinking caps on fellows, its going to happen, clubs can`t continue losing money all the time or breaking even, thats not busniess. Their is to any race meetings going on each year, pre 75, VCM, viper.
My son wants to race pre85, l am pre75, where do l go, l think vintage racing needs to come together and stay together and design the tracks better, 5 two days meetings per year plus Australia Titles as the last round for each state. Plus you also have Classic dirt, Bonanza Long weekend, THIS SPORT WILL DIE AND WE ARE THE PROBLEM AND WE NEED TO FIX IT. ??????

Dave the pre 78 class is pretty thin at the best of times, a pre 75 bike could slip right in there and have a good ride no problem. Its happenend before.

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 12:09:28 pm »
I reckon the VIPER format is great as it is. The committee & all the clubs put on good days as far as I'm concerned.

I think someone raised a good point when they said rescheduled rounds always seem to be down on numbers. I try and "book in" motorbiking days well in advance, as there's always plenty of family/home/other stuff to fill in weekends otherwise.

I'm spewing I'll miss the last round on Sunday, but I'll be at the Moto GP. I'm keen to see the new Monza track, but will have to wait 'til next year. I hope a reasonable amount of riders show up, as the Rovers always put on a well organised meeting.

Tex

Offline Viper666

• Legend
  • "Yes I bought THAT number plate" so sue me!
    • View Profile
    • Ballarat Rovers MCC
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2009, 12:15:05 pm »

Anyone who's injured, bike blown etc who could come and flag would be greatly appreciated
Lost most of my helpers to the GP

Viper666
Thank the Lord for Melbourne Bitter, anti-inflamatory drugs & an understanding wife.
YZ80H, YZ100G, YZ125E, YZ125F, YZ125G, YZ250D, YZ250E, YZ250F, YZ250G, YZ250H, YZ400F, IT125G, IT250K & a, a, a,      CRF250X???????    

How the FUG did that sh*tbox Honda get in here?

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2009, 01:06:44 pm »
I agree that not everybody wants to ride around on billiard table tracks, as it was put. I have taken my 250 elsinore out in pre 78 at the Viper Ravenswood round and had a ball. It was hard work but the bike and myself handled it. We weren`t at the point end but I didn't finish last. Agro had a ball on his 74 KX250 that day as well and banged bars with pre 78 pointy end guys all day! It was great to watch after I parked up the elsinore with a broken pipe mount (nothin new there!)
The point I am trying to make with suggesting clubs could cater for ALL VMX CLASSES at the odd event through the year is this;
There is usually a bit of room around some of the more technical (big jumps, quads etc,) parts of the track to put a track beside that small section for pre 75 ONLY to use. I know the older bikes cant handle the big jumps as well as the pre 85 so I ride accordingly. But, and this is the big thing, WE ALL WANT TO RIDE AS FAST AS THE TERRAIN ALLOWS.
The small sections of "compromised" pre75 only track could be bunted off quick and easy in between motos so the younger bikes don`t use it.  I believe that if this type of compromise was catered for, there would be more people comming out with bikes to play.
Most motorsport circuits cater for motard/carts/cars and even friggin trucks! with subtle changes in the track for respective disciplins
I think the QVX and SCMC did an excellent job of catering for all classes at Connondale with the track layout. Sure, there were some jumps, but they were all doable on pre75 bikes. The pre85 bikes just did them a bit bigger! There were only the first uphill jump where i snapped a footpeg off on the B50 and the tabletop? that the older bikes had problems with. Again, you just needed to ride to suit the bike/track.
None of my ramblings is intended to be argumentitive, i'm just throwing around some ideas and thoughts.
I personally have no problem with running my pre75 bikes in a pre 78 race becauase im not in it for the glory, im in it for the chance to take out my old bikes on a track. Still, it would be nice to be able to go around some of the bigger sections on my pre75's. And I think this would get more bikes (members, other clubs) attending not only that clubs meetings, but maybe the clubs that cater mostly for the pre80 and 75's would want to hire your track for a meeting or 2. And, they could always "invite" other clubs to participate by catering for pre 85 at the meeting as well.

faark, there goes the milk crate again 

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2009, 01:15:16 pm »
Hey Viper, I can help out on the day. Let me know what time you want me there. Just don't send me to far from the car park.....the knee ain't what it used to be!

gator

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2009, 02:41:56 pm »
harden the fork up hilly ::) ::)

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Scunge

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2009, 03:58:38 pm »
First up, just in case my comments are mis-understood, I really appreciate the work that Neale does on driving the Viper Monza round and the drive of the current Viper committee!

I have sat back and read a lot of forum threads over the years about Pre90 classes, Suzuki foot pegs, Heaven fall-out, etc but this thread is one far too important to me, too abstain from.

So, a few observations from the past 6 years of participating in Viper, having transferred down from NSW and the Heaven club, to help build some context.

1. The numbers of riders and bikes appear to have dropped over the past 2-3 years, including some of the bigger names of Viper (Fox, Cook, Elvis, Bull, etc...)
2. It appears that there has been a resurgence in classic (VCM and Vinduro) and I believe, an increase in there number of rounds and quality of tracks (This is just what I have observed via photo/race reports from OZVMX, so is anecdotal).
3. There are many guys who ride in VCM, Vinduro and Viper, or who own bikes for each category
4. The number of Viper rounds has increased this year
5. Viper race meetings are well organised and it is awesome to ride on some of the premier MX tracks in Australia (as compared to what happens in NSW, QLD and NZ)

We all have our own drivers and constraints when it comes to how many races we participate in (for example; I have three children under the age of 7, I am the sole bread winner at the moment, I am a bunny on the track and hence I am not in it for the glory: This all adds up to me cherry picking a couple of rounds each year that I ride in).

My opinion is that a combination of the economy (I know that I think twice about pre-entrying given the cash out-lay for a day license and entry and whether or not the weather will be shite or OK), the combined number of Victorian based Viper, VCM and Vinduro rounds this year, the timing of the rounds (i.e. one weekend after the other in many cases), the weather this year (Viper race day = heavy rain), and a generational change within the VIPER ranks is all creating, hopefully, a short term decline in numbers.

What is the solution, because at the end of the day, we need solutions not problems?

I can think of several (each with pros and cons);

1. Drop a couple of rounds from each VCM and Viper series and combine 1 to 2 meetings (and maybe some classes) on “safe” tracks (as a trial) to see if the number of classes and bikes can co-exist together.

2. Reduce the number of rounds for each series (my tens cents worth is that 2 rounds is not enough, 4 rounds would be good)

3. Combine Viper and VCM and combine some classes so to make a full day of racing

4. Leave it as is, and hope the numbers will increase as the economy turns the corner

At the end of the day, I do not want to see pre78 or Pre90 go away in Victoria, mainly for my own selfish reasons, so if we need to change (and that involves some short term pain), then lets do it for the greater good!

Offline Viper666

• Legend
  • "Yes I bought THAT number plate" so sue me!
    • View Profile
    • Ballarat Rovers MCC
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2009, 01:03:38 am »

TBM much appreciated and fully understand the knee problem. I have had 6 ops on the right knee and the left has been stuffed since I was 17.

Scunge, understand where you're coming from but all I have asked is for people to send in their entry and pay on the day, hell I have even offered a refund if after practice you want to go home. I know money's tight but all work and no play yada yada yada!

The GP has knocked me for shit but unless between now and Sunday there is some sort of biblical disaster the track will be the best you've seen. I will do a test lap early Sat morn and post/text the result. I am 95% sure the day will proceed. Entries are low (45) but I hope those 45 relay back to the rest how they missed the best round of the year. (Full of myself eh?)

Too pissed to make sense

Viper666      Sunday is on!
Thank the Lord for Melbourne Bitter, anti-inflamatory drugs & an understanding wife.
YZ80H, YZ100G, YZ125E, YZ125F, YZ125G, YZ250D, YZ250E, YZ250F, YZ250G, YZ250H, YZ400F, IT125G, IT250K & a, a, a,      CRF250X???????    

How the FUG did that sh*tbox Honda get in here?

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2009, 07:57:35 am »

4. Leave it as is, and hope the numbers will increase as the economy turns the corner

Sounds like a good idea to me.

The Viper meetings I've been to this year have had good numbers, they might be down on previous years but are still a good turn out. This weekend is probably just an anomaly explained by the clash with Moto GP and being a re scheduled round.

I don't think the sky is falling in just yet!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 08:08:36 am by Mick22 »
Looking fo a TZ750 anyone with any leads please PM