Author Topic: Progress pic  (Read 8911 times)

Re: Progress pic
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2009, 05:41:27 am »
Awesome mate. Very nice indeed. Do you want a project? I might have one or three for you. ::)

mainline

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2009, 02:36:56 pm »
Cheers guys, yes I do want another project, but not yet.

I've sworn by all that is holy to me that I'll finish some of the half dozen major projects around the house that I've started but not finished. I think if there's less building material lying around the place I'd have less problem bringing home another bike.

So now I suppose I've got a few months to think about what bike I'd really like to do next, which is fun to do anyway. So far I'm thinking '76 YZ125, '77 CR250, '84 KX125, or something pre65? We'll see how the list looks by Christmas.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2009, 11:04:02 am »
c'mon Paul,
with the bikes first race meeting done and dusted, i think this thread needs an update...
"flat bickie"

mainline

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2009, 08:53:57 pm »
well Mr Vandy, (thanks for asking) I really, really love the YZ. It handles much better than the Egg, the power down low isn't as good (i didn't think it would be) but the suspension is brilliant. I don't know what all this Yama-pogo crap is about. I'm still replaying the highlights from the weekend in my head.

I've got some more pilot jets coming from the mikuni guys up north, which I think will have it sorted, and apart from that, the only issue is the kickstarter which doesn't engage on every kick. Don't know what the problem is, so off with the clutchcover yet again.

When are you going to post some pics of that 360 of yours with the FB Works exhaust pipe?????

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2009, 09:41:08 pm »
When are you going to post some pics of that 360 of yours with the FB Works exhaust pipe?????

Why does reading this comment make my eyebrows rise?

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2009, 06:00:35 pm »
Yep, she is a sweet bike Paul, the photos don't do her justice.
Just make sure you use a proper gasket when you put that clutch cover back on  ;) ;D
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

mainline

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2009, 07:52:45 pm »
Why does reading this comment make my eyebrows rise?

You're related to Fozzie Bear?

Rest assured there are no smallgoods used in the construction of Vandy's FB Works Pipes (tm).

Just make sure you use a proper gasket when you put that clutch cover back on

Vandy swapped me a clutch cover for a piece of a TV table that he uses to make his mufflers, and the new clutch cover seals a lot better than the old one. God knows I wouldn't want any ex-NASA types looking at the bike again with non-standard silastic on it.

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2009, 09:16:14 pm »
 :D :D :D
What a cack - great times - can't wait for next year.
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2009, 01:56:01 am »
stop revealing my secrets >:(
got any more of that tv table lying around? :)
"flat bickie"

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2009, 09:29:30 pm »
I think we should make it standard that all machines in the compound have gasket surfaces scanned and laser cut unobtanium gaskets fitted to avoid the embarrassment that occurred at CD6.
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

Offline Woody

• A-Grade
  • Heaven #70
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2009, 08:20:45 pm »
Mainline
I need to know more! Your beaut bike resto was one that also inspired me to do the 125G.

The forks and especially the swing arm look just great. Tell me the process of how you got them so shiny and if you used some sort of protective clear coating?

Did you have any one preferred supplier to get your Yammy parts from?

cheers
WANTED 

1988/89 125 - CR KX YZ   
YZ125G, YZ250H and YZ80G parts
IT200 stuff
CR250RD parts

mainline

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2009, 09:56:03 pm »
g'day woody, no I didn't coat the swingarm or lower fork legs. I sanded them back to remove most of the nicks and gouges then poilished them up. They're not perfect but the bike is for riding.

I'm a chippy so I have an aversion to putting varnish (ie. clear coat) on something that is subject to the elements. I'd rather rub some polish on it once every couple months. Just my opinion.

As far as suppliers are concerned, the local yamaha shop is sometimes pretty good for little bits and pieces, but you're better off talking to one of the US based mobs for any major NOS bits. You can also get quite a few parts non-genuine, like engine components (crank kits etc)and save some dollars.

Some of the guys I used were

http://www.speedandsportinc.com/

http://www.tamortrading.com.au/

http://www.nwvintagecycleparts.com/

http://www.vintagedirtandtrail.com

Ebay is obviously essential these days, and you have to be creative with what you type into the search bar as sometimes the seller doesn't know what they've got ;D

let me know if you need help with anything, althought there are a shiteload of guys on here who know more than me :)

Offline vandy010

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2009, 12:41:42 am »
oh so modest Paul.... :D
Woody,
for a first go at resto~ing a bike, that 125f of Mainlines is the sweetest bit of gear...
others may know more but Paul, you got the knack for making it look the way it should.
now where's my Tv table? :D
"flat bickie"