Author Topic: Two Stroke supercharger???  (Read 4888 times)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Two Stroke supercharger???
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2009, 10:56:26 pm »
Stinger is the best place for a turbo, the only drama is the turbo over scavenging the cylinder. No easy gains eh, well........ should talk to sled tuners 350HP from a 1000cc triple is par for the course with a turbo sled. Try to tell THIS bloke his turbo didn't gain anything !Sleds are now even coming turbo'd from the FACTORY  Beware of THIS 50cc Vespa at the traffic light GP ;D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 11:00:00 pm by Lozza »
Jesus only loves two strokes

montynut

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2009, 12:09:35 am »
MarcFX, unless you have a 2 stroke diesel which is totally different to a 2 stroke petrol engine the turbo can not work.

ah unless you have a uniflow 2 stroke diesel with an exhaust valve and then it works..... how does 14 cylinders and 120 000 kw sound at 98 rpm. The all you need is 5 tonnes of fuel an hour. ;)
formerly Marc.com

montynut

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 12:38:28 am »
Yes I realise how a uniflow diesel engine works. That is what I meant in my original post. The 2 stroke diesel is very different to the 2 stroke spark ignition engine used in our VMX motorcycles. The crankcase plays no part in the fuel flow through the uniflow diesel engine. The bottom end is basically like a 4 stroke.

The turbo 2 stroke spark ignition engine is an interesting and I think a relatively recent development, or at least a relatively recent succesful development, I am sure it has been tried numeous times over the last 100 years. Supercharging has been used very succesfully for many decades in many different forms.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 04:25:39 pm »
Yeah most of the turbochargers I deal with are about 14 tonnes so guess they would be unsuitable.

Anyways I think forced induction has the limitation of its complexity and cost..... you really have to have a good reason to adopt it, like a space constraint, technical reason or wanting more out of smaller capacity. The Japanese ran into that problem where a 750 turbo went like an 1100 non turbo and cost the same (actually more from the manufacturing side) so why bother.
formerly Marc.com