Author Topic: Matt Mladin Retires.  (Read 1833 times)

mx250

Matt Mladin Retires.
« on: August 03, 2009, 09:03:47 am »
"After so many great years of racing in the USA, I will retire from AMA racing at the end of the 2009 racing season in New Jersey.

My career has been long and above and beyond my wildest expectations. I won my first national championship on dirt bikes back in 1981 (28 years ago) and have had an amazing career ever since.

If I had my time again, I would not change a single decision I have made, in life or in racing.

I would like to thank my team for their constant hard work. Without these guys, the 80+ race wins and multiple championships would not have been possible.

I wish to thank my fans. I want you to know that you all have helped me achieve so much. I will miss you.

I want to thank my mum and dad for getting me involved in such a fantastic sport that turned into my profession. I love you both.

My brother and sister for all the miles you done cramped into the back of a little pick up / ute in the early days. These were great times and the ones in racing I will cherish the most. You mean the world to me.

My daughters are growing fast and it is time I put my efforts into their future.

My wife, what can I say? You have unselfishly given your time and efforts to this lifestyle of ours. Racing had its down days, but with you by my side it was easy to get up and smell the fresh air, and realize how lucky I am. You have been a rock for so long, and if I could live another 100 years I still would not have the time to repay you for your commitment. I love you, babe.

Mat Mladin"

Don't ya love it - concise, precise, no bullshit, passionate and straight from the heart - just like The Man.

I have been a fan and great admirer of Matt's for more than 20 years. In illustrious company of Wayne Gardner, Mick Doohan, Greg Hansford, Reedy,  and an absolute host of others from all disciplines of the sport it is fair to rate Matt as one of our greatest racers of all time.  Despite his great success I think he underachieved not because his faults but rather the smallness and pettiness of others.

"Mladin's decision not to race in World Superbikes will leave undeserved question marks hanging over the Australian's head, especially in Europe. For years, European insiders dismissed Mladin's performance as irrelevant, a mixture of vastly superior machinery and an inferior talent pool in the US."
http://www.motogpmatters.com/news/2009/08/02/end_of_an_era_mat_mladin_retires_from_ra.html

It's a pity.

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Matt Mladin Retires.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 10:11:14 am »
Any question marks aside, Mladin has done very well for himself over there.  He'll have a comfortable retirement.

Sun Prarie Jimmy

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 04:55:25 pm »
It's easy to admire the blokes achievements on a bike. Off a bike I've got very little admiration for the bloke, very unpleasant to say the least.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 05:32:13 pm »
I would say the opposite I first knew him as a brash upstart in his first raod race. He had the MOST ghastly flouro green and orange bike and leathers ever made, he had a the most awesome 'death stare' that no doubt freaked competitors out before turning a wheel. Mat is a straight shooter and no doubt put lots of noses out of joint during his time in the US, but many moons ago met and spoke with him and found him just like any other young motorcycle racer.
Pity he was just a fraction immature to be thrown in the deep end in 500cc GP's, if he had 1 or 2 years to adapt to life in Europe he would have made it no question.
Jesus only loves two strokes

mx250

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 05:39:50 pm »
It's easy to admire the blokes achievements on a bike. Off a bike I've got very little admiration for the bloke, very unpleasant to say the least.
Many moons ago at a promo I spent about 6 hours in his company talking to customers and shooting the breeze about all things motorcycling between customers. I found him excellent company. Serious and straight shooting, straight talking, but very level headed and no airs or graces.

Yes he is outspoken and fairly tactless and caustic but I've always agreed with him even if I didn't agree with how he said it. I think he has pushed a lot of causes that needed to be pushed, and for the right reasons. A bit like Barry Sheen in GP's, but maybe without the Cockney Charm :P.

Sun Prarie Jimmy

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 05:57:06 pm »
It's one thing to meet a bloke for a few hours and another to actually know him. He's not a nice bloke.

Sun Prarie Jimmy

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 05:57:39 pm »
And that's Mat with one t.

mx250

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 05:58:34 pm »
Pity he was just a fraction immature to be thrown in the deep end in 500cc GP's, if he had 1 or 2 years to adapt to life in Europe he would have made it no question.
Matt did an A grade job in a B grade team with C grade equipment. But, 'it is hard to soar like an eagle when you're dealing with turkeys'. Unfortunately Matt didn't suffer fools or anyone who wasn't 'reaching for the stars' as he was and he told them so. Impatient, immature, tactless? Maybe, but he was right. He had the talent to do better and he was been held back.

Cagiva taught him to 'go for the money' - to go to America. He was right.

Some would prefer their hero's to stay poor, suck up to the petty officials and make the promoter and manufacturers rich will putting their lives on the line for the glory of GP racing. Matt didn't agree to this model.  

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 06:08:58 pm »
Good on him. Quit while you're in one piece and enjoy it. Those US tracks are not as safe and cushy as the tracks we see in Europe, so more credit to him. I saw him race a couple of times at E-Creek and I reckon , with time, he would have cut it in the World Supers for sure and even GP. Just my opinion.

suzuki43

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 06:11:38 pm »
All I know is his brother is a top bloke-(yes he rides Suzukis).

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 06:17:52 pm »
I gotta agree with Jimmy, i've heard nothing nice about the guy from people who've worked with him. Just ask Gally how Mladin treated him when he went over to the US to be his trainer last year. It was a very short relationship and Steve is not a difficult guy to get on with.

magoo

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 06:26:13 pm »
Hey MX, Jimmy is right, there is only one t in Mat.

bretb81

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 03:06:24 pm »
A pig of a man, Mladin has made a fortune out of overcharging for parts through his import business. I've ordered the same parts from the US at less than half what he charges. This is how he has become one of Australia's richest sportmen (ripping off other motorcyclists). I've supported any/all his competitors over the years, just loved to see him lose.