Author Topic: Conondale Vinduro  (Read 12013 times)

worms

Re: Conondale Vinduro
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2008, 06:57:27 pm »
Went out and had a look on the weekend, great showing of different bikes for the first event, had a brief chat with a few guys as they where rolling out and got to see a Ossa SDR which i'm hoping to get a hold of one for next year and also to race pre 75 at club days. i will be there next year and hope to do Rockliegh as well, go the Ossa!

sorry i didnt catch up with you Tony and Graham

Cheers trev

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2008, 09:20:26 pm »
A hail storm on Saturday afternoon came just at the right time for the first Queensland vinduro the track got a perfect watering, the creek came up just enough to wet the drum brakes.
There were 40 entries with a good range of bikes and some very good riders with four 4day class winners entered.
I’ll let the guys who rode to say if the track was good or not but from an organisers point of view it was pretty good the hard section was hard enough but not impossible, the grass track was a heap of fun, even when the kids where putting extra rocks in the creek crossing brought a smile to my face.
I didn’t get to many photos but I’ll post some soon.
I hope every one had a good time.
Noel
The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2008, 09:40:48 pm »
Some pics

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2008, 09:50:54 pm »
another

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2008, 10:00:05 pm »
Ya gotta love this kind of event with the number attendance.
So relaxing and ya can have a yarn to some folks ,where as a modern with 250 entries is so under the pump all day.This is from an officials point of view of course.
Yep I'm getting too old now, for pre 08  ;D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 10:12:00 pm by vmx247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline Barronvmx

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2008, 12:07:03 am »
I drag out the old and ugly DR 500 for a play at the Vinduro and had a great time and was amazed how many PE's there were. One Pe 400 rider had trouble keeping the front wheel on the ground especially when re-entering the track don't know who it was but had a short last name. The mighty four stroke started first kick at the start which is the first time ever and was going great until the first creek crossing. I hit a rock, fell into the drink and and then had to hoist the blue boat anchor from the depths. Whilst stuggling to stop the engine from drowning the mobile aircompressor kept chugging along, I then put it in gear and sat stationary, the chain had come off which it did so again before the lap was over.
At the start we were told about the hard and easy sections. I thought hard sections first whilst I wasn't not too exhausted and easy sections later on. So up the first hill the dr climbed with little or no assistance by the rider I just twisted the throttle and steered. I kept going up and turning corners on the dusty climb with a few rocks to make the climb a little challenging and then finally there was the top with 2 Husky rider enjoying the view. Would of liked to ride the WR 250 I have but like everything it needs work and I thought I had the best bike for the job until the downhills.
There was a section called froot loops which translated to me as crash and burn so I gave that a miss and a super crazy down hill designed for disk brakes. As it was I went to the first steep down hill with full brakes and engine braking and still started to speed up near the bottom. We had been warned about this down hill but when I came over another hill and a steeper loose rock downhill was a bit to much for the drum brakes holding back 140 kgs of monorailed sled. I slid on 2 wheels most of the way down and stayed uprite to my suprise. The rest of the trawas a mixture of up and down gullies another 5 creek crossings I think one of which had more boulders than when I first crossed and a black muddy mess that almost a fellow DR rider who was able tractor out by himself.
Had great time and enjoyed the relaxing ride atmosphere. Would love to see 2 events next year and if CD6 had the easy loop for riders there would be alot of smiles.
Huskies
CR250 1972, CR400 1972, SC125 1973, CR250 1975GP, WR250 1979/80, XC125 1983, TX510 1983, XC125 1984 project, CR250 1984 project
Honda's
SL100 1971, XL100 1974, Hondasaki 210, XL185 1981 project
Jawa's
1959 250 project, 1969 175 trail boss project.
Sachs 1969 125

Offline TonyB

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2008, 07:40:01 am »
friggin awsome Noel, you guys did an amazing job with the track, it was nothing less than perfect, I hav'nt had that much fun in ages. I kept going round after round untill the body said no more. Some sections reminded me of Europe through moist forrest and streams etc. I loved the over the hill round the berm shots and the little jumps here and there. 100 points to you all. If this club has these kinds of things I recon me and my son are going to join. The countrysede was amazing. I've only ever ridden on the MX track at the QVMX Conondale classics but I recon the true attraction is next door in the bush. PLEASE PLEASE another soon ;D ;D ;D
'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting,  ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! ' '

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2008, 09:57:21 pm »
Thanks Tony, did you try the hill and the fruit loop {named after the dozer driver ;)}
The downhill puckered mine a few times as well Barron.
Jeff took the SDR to the top of the hill as did Peter Baguley on a worn out 73 ts185 :o. It wasn't that it went up it's how fast he rode it up across and down.
I liked how it was low key, the problem is the entries don’t cover the clubs costs :(.
Anyhow I don’t care I got to start on the same minute as Jeff Dawson 8).
Noel

Offline TonyB

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2008, 10:20:08 pm »
Noel I tried everything except the downhill hard section. Mango 1 and 2 were great, the 465 was roosting big time up those hills. I just loved the loamy moist soil . I really hope you guys have another soon. For those that did not make it or could not make it .. guys you lost out on 1 great day !!
'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting,  ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! ' '

peken

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2008, 07:45:13 pm »
Waited for this event for a couple of months,after hearing about it at the last VMX event in August.
Thanks so much for putting this on ,I am absolutely sure that it will grow in size and stature over the coming years.
As for me I was one of the PE175 riders and could not have enjoyed my old bike more on Sunday. Unusually she did not want to start at the cold start, but a short push from a couple of guys got her running and we were off.
 Within five minutes of the start i lost my rear brakes completely, which made the first loop very interesting, at the end of the loop a return to the pits revealed a lost split pin in the overly complicated rear brake system of the PE. A new split pin and a quick needle adjustment to stop (or reduce) the  pinging at top end, saw me back out for another go this time the hard loop was attacked. How Good were those hills? The bike had no worries climbing to the top,you gotta love these old school 2 strokes with all the shifting and clutch fanning to entertain you.
 Something i've learned after 30 years of trailriding is for every uphill there is always an equivalent downhill, so once again despite the brand new brake shoes front & rear, the PE challenged my skills(or lack of ) by resisting my efforts to slow it down on the hard section downhill. We however did manage to arrive at the bottom unscathed on each occasion.
 There was only one creek to cross but we crossed it 6 times on each lap which assured most of us would have the same problems with the wet brake shoes.
A lunch break was had, and it was quite amusing to see the number of guys with the toolbox out doing the running repairs, a point not lost to Geoff Udy (PE400) who during the presentation dryly noted that we were more travelling mechanics than trailriders.
 A few laps of the grass track proved a heap of fun, then 2 more loops for me before the chequered flag came out at 2pm.
 What can you say "ON ANY SUNDAY" it was great, the ambulance guys were bored,(which is great) and the old bikes and their riders survived.
The only thing I lost was a blinker lens (original PE) and my rear brakes. Ill be back for the next and the next and hope to see it grow.
 Congratulations to Noel and the other organisers,helpers and the scmcc for putting it on, I understand this is the first Vinduro to be held in QLD and I'm sure it wont be the last.   

lms6201

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2008, 07:54:27 am »
baron , i have it on good authority the persons responsible for the extra rocks have close ties with the bultaco team , sorry bout that

Offline Barronvmx

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2008, 02:15:50 pm »
I have since found out that the extra rocks were placed by some young spectators for their own entertainment. It almost resulted in a DR500 utilising a young boy as a creek ford, lucky he was quicker than my out of control crossing. At least I wasn't just riding to my usual standard.
Huskies
CR250 1972, CR400 1972, SC125 1973, CR250 1975GP, WR250 1979/80, XC125 1983, TX510 1983, XC125 1984 project, CR250 1984 project
Honda's
SL100 1971, XL100 1974, Hondasaki 210, XL185 1981 project
Jawa's
1959 250 project, 1969 175 trail boss project.
Sachs 1969 125