Author Topic: New Magazine  (Read 4820 times)

magoo

Re: New Magazine
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 06:06:26 pm »
You started it, you invaded Poland.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 06:24:58 pm »
Only after you shot the Arch Duke!!!
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 07:55:18 pm »
...Your bigoted rant has done nothing to change that, either.
 So, it's so nice to see the lack of predjudice in our world today!!!
Cheers
Hey James, maybe it's a cultural thing? As an Aussie I recognised vmx42's 'tongue in cheek' attitude when I read his post so I was disappointed (and a bit embarrassed) you thought he was having a go at the US; or you personally. Once again the written word has offended coz there's no 'body language' to go with it. ::)
I think if we were all chatting at a BBQ it wouldn't have seemed so abrasive.
As far as Iraq and the Cuban jail goes we all differ in attitudes there. 'Pro' and 'anti' voices abound in both our Countries - opinions will vary despite Nationality.

Here in OZ we're absolutely saturated with American 'culture' - and that can be persuasive.
But what I've seen on the telly is very different to the Americans I've met and spent time with.
I doubt anyone thinks all Americans are like Paris and Nicole or Ashley and Mary Kate! Or George Bush and Oliver North! :D ;)
I'm sure the average bloke in the average American street is a lot like yourself; and you come across as a pretty decent sort of bloke. I'd rather live next door to decent Yank than an arsehole Aussie! 8)
Attitude counts for much. I'm sure no offence was intended.

"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

firko

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 08:37:17 pm »
Well put Wombat. Ive got an American vintage racer staying here with me and we've just come home from his first meeting with Aussies in a pub. He was more than a little freaked out by us calling each other c*#ts or pricks. Once he understood the Aussie sense of humour he settled down and started to enjoy our exchanges. I know James and I know VMX42 and they are both good people and I hope James realises that this was merely a cultural misunderstanding. The ties VMX ties between our two countries are too strong to be put off by a little bit of misunderstood humour.

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 11:19:53 pm »
Sorry, dude. My misinterpretation of comments( due to my lack of clutural awareness-I guess that's is one US sterotype that holds true with me LOL)
Thanks for the kind words. Again to topic, Only VMX has hte quality that a magazine covering the most beautiful point in time of the most beautiful sport deserves. It would be nice here in the US if somehting covered the vintage MX and Vinduro more, but that does not appear possible.

New question, how did VMX mag start out with it's format of vintage mx, and not a bunch of vintage road bikes etc? Were they confident that they would have worldwide distribution rather quickly? The copy rags seem to try to appease any and all in the older bikes spectrum-and fail. Maybe a short on how VMX mag started?
Thanks,  MJ
Life is suddenly very Monaro

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2008, 10:24:55 am »
Newsflash......
SAN FRANCISCO MAN BECOMES FIRST AMERICAN TO GRASP SIGNIFICANCE OF SARCASM
Chuck Fullmer, 38, yesterday became the first American to get to grips with the concept of sarcasm.

"It was weird" Fullmer said. "I was in London and like, talking to this guy and it was raining and he pulled a face and said,

"Great weather eh?" and I thought 

"Wait a minute, no way is it great weather".

Fullmer then realised that the other man's 'mistake' was in fact deliberate.

Fullmer, who is 39 next month and married with two children, aged 8 and 3, plans to use sarcasm himself in future.

"I'm, like, using it all the time" he said.

"Last weekend I was grilling steaks and I burned them and I said "Hey, great weather."

Sorry James, I had to throw that in, couldn't help myself ;D

Like Wombat said "But what I've seen on the telly is very different to the Americans I've met and spent time with."
Having spent 3 months in the USA many years back I can vouch for the genuine hospitality I recieved from complete strangers. 

I think VMX Mag probably stayed with off-road stuff only becuase that's where Ray's passion was.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 08:10:01 am »
HI Guys,
The story of how VMX started was covered in one of Rays very early editorials. I wll trawl through the files and see if I can find it.

It makes interesting reading [from memory] and is probably quite pertinent when we are talking about VMX being a very inclusive and non-judgemental environment… Vintage Motocross opened its arms to Ray at a time when he need it more than it needed him. Quite ironic really as subsequently VMX needed him far more… life is strange.

I will see what I can do.

Oh, and MJ, there is a cold one waiting for you, don't worry it is Aussie beer not Cuban!!
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2008, 12:03:02 pm »
Thanks, and my apologoies. I am actually quite sarcastic, as well as pessimistic, and pompous..hmmm such endearing qualities ;D ;D ;D

BTW I got started in VMX in 1991, I needed it ( and still need it) more than I can conceive it will ever need me. Ray was a godsend to all of us IMO.

MJ
Life is suddenly very Monaro