Author Topic: Mint XR600 RG  (Read 18971 times)

Offline zorroz

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Mint XR600 RG
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2016, 03:36:52 pm »
Does the guy actually want to sell the bike? Its gone near 12g a few times and still hasn't made reserve. Never though an Xr600 would be worth that much especially a usa import  :P

Offline mark1076

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2016, 04:27:43 pm »
Does the guy actually want to sell the bike? Its gone near 12g a few times and still hasn't made reserve. Never though an Xr600 would be worth that much especially a usa import  :P

Yeh IMO 11 gorillas is good money for the big XR, and it has reached that mark on ebay auctions at least 3 times now. It makes you wonder what the blokes' reserve/lowest selling price is  ::)

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2016, 05:10:23 pm »
a fishing exercise by the sound of it. testing the water to either get a real figure to flog it to a known punter on a "what I can get on ebay" basis. auction is always pulled just before closing or its back on with the "timewaster" tag. see this a lot with collector cars.

Otherwise its setting a ridiculous reserve so its never selling but telling the wife "its on ebay honey".

I guess tho if you want a spanking display bike for the pool room, its going to cost you similar $$ to get one like it unless you can do it yourself.

Offline mark1076

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2016, 05:55:30 pm »
a fishing exercise by the sound of it. testing the water to either get a real figure to flog it to a known punter on a "what I can get on ebay" basis. auction is always pulled just before closing or its back on with the "timewaster" tag. see this a lot with collector cars.

Otherwise its setting a ridiculous reserve so its never selling but telling the wife "its on ebay honey".

I guess tho if you want a spanking display bike for the pool room, its going to cost you similar $$ to get one like it unless you can do it yourself.

That's possible, he could be a dealer "just getting a feel" for the value of his wares. I did a full nut and bolt rebuild on a Honda XR350RD back in 2004, and it cost me around $2500-$3000. The thing now is, a lot of parts are either not available or if they are, the value of them (plastics in particular) has skyrocketed. Try $736 for a new XR headlight surround alone...see here-

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162202034138?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You could nearly buy another bike for that!  :o

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2016, 07:05:06 pm »
yeah, as you said...."I did a nut and bolt"

If you get a restorer to do it.....10K! its a lot of money for a bike eh?

Offline mark1076

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2016, 04:52:48 am »
yeah, as you said...."I did a nut and bolt"

If you get a restorer to do it.....10K! its a lot of money for a bike eh?

True true, I personally wouldn't spend that sort of money "having" a restoration done, or spending that much on a "barn find", or "restored" bike. But some people have more $$ than me, and they're willing to part with it now I guess.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2016, 07:51:53 am »
that's it in a nutshell. if you have the $$ you generally don't have time so its a case of ordering one up.

I like to do them up mechanically so I don't have to walk home but I never bother with the looks as I get them covered in mud, push em down cliffs and fall off a lot. :-\

Offline mark1076

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2016, 05:11:27 pm »
that's it in a nutshell. if you have the $$ you generally don't have time so its a case of ordering one up.

I like to do them up mechanically so I don't have to walk home but I never bother with the looks as I get them covered in mud, push em down cliffs and fall off a lot. :-\

I'm the same, I have more or less given up trying to find the NOS plastics, so the mechanicals end up ship shape, and the cosmetics at best will get a quick clean up. And anyway why spend a million bucks on NOS plastics when you're just going to take the bike bush and flog it to death anyway  :o