Author Topic: Am I the only one  (Read 20180 times)

Offline fred99999au

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Am I the only one
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2016, 10:18:33 pm »
Not up with the latest comrade?

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2016, 10:28:20 pm »
I went to the local Cafe recently. Ordered a "3 little pigs burger"
Pulled Pork, carved ham and bacon. - delicious and no Hallal certificate.

I believe we are going "To Hell in a handcart", but some of us are going kicking and screaming. (And eating pigs).

Remember not to ride a pushbike in NSW without "carrying your papers" which must "be in order" when randomly checked! Sickening.
not that i ride a pushie coz the roads where i live are just tar covered dirt tracks but why do nsw cyclists need papers and to carry them??

A good question for Duncan Gay.
It's un Australian.

I understand it's the result of some sort of populist pushy rider hate campaign run by the "Telegraph".
Even though the only people hurt in pushbike crashes (no matter the cause), the NSW government jacked lots of fines for riders up (approx 500% I believe). Based on jealousy? Ignorance? Irrational hatred? - certainly not on any facts.
Knowing people were going to balk at handing over $500ish for not wearing an approved helmet  (eg sticker missing/skateboard helmet, or heaven forbid no helmet!)/rolling a Stop sign/etc, they have made it compulsory to carry a NSW Licence or "special push bike id" (for interstate visitors for eg) with the corresponding huge fine for non compliance.

Being from QLD, if I'm at my mates place in NSW, I can't legally borrow his pushy and helmet and ride to the shop.
It's unbelievable.

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2016, 10:56:35 pm »
Good point RE the pushbike papers.
 Its not how we did it when we were young. just hop on your pushie and go.No helmet no lights and not a care on the world. the truth is that times are changing and the sport of adult cycling seems to be increasing so we find more cyclists on roads and this presents a challenge for the motorists and the pushie rider. As with most things accidents do occur and this is where insurance companies rub their hands together. in order to claim on insurance you need to identify the other party and if thats a pushie with no rego plate your up shyte creek paddleless.

I use my licence for work on the sunshine coast in QLD so i am exposed to a lot of traffic risk and i see  it would seem that adult cycling is popular if the number of lycra clad people traversing the major and minor roads is anything to go by and I also see a lot of things that could have been thought through better. After the 1metre rule came in a lot of cyclists abused this and used excessive amounts of roadway. now they seem to not be so foolish and stick to the shoulder but occasionally there are three or four abreast on a blind hinterland mountain corner and i cant believe it. lucky im usually riding a bike so i can thread the needle. Also in QLD i see little regard for the helmet ruling from kids and teenagers. Being exNSW i find this strange. Another issue is the amount of redlight runners from cyclists in this area is astonishing. reminds me of how it was in Sydney 30 years ago.

Sure holding papers seems draconian but everyone needs to have ID if they are in charge of a vehicle. It just makes sense. VMXs even have numbers on their bikes.

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2016, 01:22:29 am »
Not up with the latest comrade?
yeah im not up to speed on what goes on in aussie as seldom watch the news and never buy papers as sooner put that money into parts for my old bikes besides alot of the news is depressing [murders/rape/house invadions where old pensioners get beat up] or full of shite you dont really need to know about [celebs taking a dump/pollies slinging off at each other like 5yr olds]

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2016, 10:09:29 am »
I hate the ever increasing over regulation we are increasingly subjected to.
Especially in the "victimless crime" category.

Push bike helmets are the perfect example. Personally I've been wearing one for a long time before they were widely available, let alone mandatory. It should be my choice alone when/if I wear one.

Same with seat belts. They should be fitted, but worn at adults discretion (again, I'd wear mine all the time.)

I don't buy into the "cost to the health system" or "I'd feel bad if I killed a helmet less rider" arguments.
The extension of these arguments would see football/motorcycles/surfing/bush walking/soft drink all banned.

While I tar all politicians with the same derisive brush, senator David Leyonhjelm has some sensible things to say about personal freedoms, and motorcycle riding.

I heard a great political quote recently:

"We try and keep Labour in power for as long as we can afford them, then we try and keep the Coalition in power for as long as we can stand them."

Sad, but pretty accurate.

Have a great weekend! :)

Offline topari

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2016, 10:47:22 am »
I hate the ever increasing over regulation we are increasingly subjected to.
Especially in the "victimless crime" category.

Push bike helmets are the perfect example. 

Returning from the Bayswater Powder Coaters, located in an industrial area,  the Highway pursuit pulled over a worker riding a bike without a helmet. Looked to me like he was doing a lunch run.  Now that is low.
topari

1979 IT400F, 1984 kdx200

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2016, 02:32:57 pm »
Returning from the Bayswater Powder Coaters, located in an industrial area,  the Highway pursuit pulled over a worker riding a bike without a helmet. Looked to me like he was doing a lunch run.  Now that is low.

If the guy forgot his wallet, he is facing over $900 in fines. (No helmet. No ID)
You would probably be fined less for running someone over on a pedestrian crossing. A crime that involves a victim.
Who thinks that is fair?
Who benefits from this police action?
Why is the fine for no pushy helmet approximately the same as one might receive for "assault police"?
Insanity.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 05:57:31 pm by skypig »

Offline pecrazy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2016, 03:30:53 pm »
Easy, revenue, mean while real crimes are being committed.

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2016, 05:16:38 pm »

Are you suggesting that a large percentage of our police force are only employed to raise revenue.
    Yes I would agree with that.
                                             Zane
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2016, 06:22:07 pm »

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2016, 06:46:05 pm »
if police were interested in lowering the crime rate and im only guessing thats collated via the amount of complaints and bookings they receive, would they

A; Install covert surveillance devices
B; Be highly visible to the public

I do find it interesting that during the latest end of school holiday traffic flow north from the gold coast i counted three police vehicles sitting in plain sight on the road shoulder with lights flashing. Also interesting was the traffic was well behaved and no speeders nor congestions usually associated with end of school holidays.

this makes a pleasant change from the roadside vans with signage ( sometimes) after the van. the unmarked hyabusa. the many unmarked patrol vehicles and my favourite A 4x4 towing a horse float with a fake horses ass in in.

tell me again they are doing it for our safety.

Offline topari

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2016, 09:29:54 pm »
IMO law and order involves all three of Government, Judiciary and Police working together. The problem is the first two, not the police. In the the US law and order quickly becomes a political issue, which the DAs need to deal with in order to be re-elected. Say what you want, the US system has a degree of accountability which we do not have here. Who has been held accountable for Adrian Bailey or that latest trash who killed the young girl?

Regards, Tom
topari

1979 IT400F, 1984 kdx200

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2016, 07:43:51 pm »
ive jumped 5 pages but everyone needs to realise that the Muslim headwear is a small sheet not a towel... so they shall now be known a little sheet heads.... ::)