Author Topic: Restoration Project Knowledge  (Read 14374 times)

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Restoration Project Knowledge
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2015, 03:02:59 pm »
One thing Ive noted that none of the others have made . If you are pissed off and angry stop working and do something else . I have made this mistake myself if things are not going the right way STOP and think why . Sometimes a break is all you need or some advice from a friend on here will get you over the hump . Iain
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline Photomike666

• Novice
  • I've got serious thrill issues, dude!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2015, 07:43:49 pm »
Some great info there, thanks guys.

I'm starting to realize that each project is a personal journey, and somewhat dependent on circumstances.

I'm doing the parts collection prior to strip down over about 6 months; at least all the stuff I know I want replaced (bearings/gaskets/seals & items I know are stuffed).  I'm not going to buy cosmetics (levers/grips/graphics etc) until final rebuild when I've already paid for everything mechanically required.  While I'm saving $ and searching parts I'll be cleaning, polishing and restoring parts (like restoring plastics), that are time consuming and I want done so they don't slow down the final stage.  I couldn't think of anything worse that delaying the rebuild a week polishing fork lowers when they could have been done weeks before whilst saving for that Wiseco piston kit.
V8 SS Ute, ZX10R (x2 road & track), '87 Honda CR250

Offline Butcher

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2015, 09:01:02 pm »
the part about sharing your shed with your sons is the biggest pain in the ass. its much cheaper and less frustrating, to give them a different shed. Then you know all those tools that go missing . are in that shed

Offline Michael Moore

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Euro Spares
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2015, 03:27:40 am »
Do NOT buy batteries or tires until the bike is completely ready to ride.  I've had so many new batteries die, or new tires get old and hard, because I bought them when I was sure I'd have the project running "real soon now".

cheers,
Michael