Author Topic: PE175 - sealant recommended on rubber inlet manifold?  (Read 3100 times)

Offline LegOwt

• Novice
    • View Profile
PE175 - sealant recommended on rubber inlet manifold?
« on: May 04, 2014, 04:06:05 pm »
I'm replacing the inlet manifold on a 1978 PE175 and wondering if I should be using Yamibond or similar when installing. Whats everyone else doing? Like to do job once if possible :)

Offline Glen08

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: PE175 - sealant recommended on rubber inlet manifold?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 04:30:10 am »
Hi,
I use aviation goo or rubber grease...

regards glen.

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 09:42:49 am »
The best is probably 515 loctite flange sealant.
So people use silicone but it goes real funny if petrol gets to it.
If it is a new manifold with a raised up rubber ring then it doesn't need anything other than making sure the mating surface is clean and flat

Offline Digga

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 10:20:56 am »
L518 is better suited than L515. They are both anaerobic flange sealants (cure in the absence of air) which are applicable for flange gaps < 0.2mm, so if you have such a smooth joint then L518 will be the more sutiable of the 2. However, for intake manifolds, L587 Blue Max silicone is a better candidiate with up to 6.35mm gap fill. All this data is aimed at OEM so for older restorations where things are not so exact, maybe a silicone is more robust. Send me your email address & I'll send you a product catalogue, have a good read through the attachment & you might get a better understanding & choice  ;)

I would post it on here but dont know how to attach a pdf doc  :-\

1977 Yamaha YZ250D, 1977 Yamaha YZ400D, 1980 Yamaha YZ125G

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 03:57:03 pm »
Here is a link to the loctite info. Amazing how people can read the same info and come up with different views.
http://www.loctite.com.au/aue/content_data/235564_Do_It_Right_Users_Guide.pdf
It lists the gap fill for 515 as .5mm and is a little slower setting, it is my choice. Also listed as excellent petrol resistance.
Blue Maxx is a good product but is only oil resistant and will not work if liquid petrol or fumes are present.

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 05:43:00 pm »
Providing all surfaces are good I've never used anything except a light smear of motor oil ;)

Offline Digga

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 07:31:00 pm »
Here is a link to the loctite info. Amazing how people can read the same info and come up with different views.
http://www.loctite.com.au/aue/content_data/235564_Do_It_Right_Users_Guide.pdf
It lists the gap fill for 515 as .5mm and is a little slower setting, it is my choice. Also listed as excellent petrol resistance.
Blue Maxx is a good product but is only oil resistant and will not work if liquid petrol or fumes are present.

Hi Sleepy
The link you have is to the industrial MRO site (maintenance repair & overhaul) whereas I was quoting you from our VRM brochure (vehicle repair mainatence). They are similar but different if you know what I mean. Either way it will work but comes down to waht you are trying to achive & what you are dealing with as this is not OEM.

So we didnt read the same thing & your call on which you choose, was just trying to be of some help  ;D

BTW, if you or someone else can explain how to post/attach a pdf, then I will or sedn me your email address, cheers
1977 Yamaha YZ250D, 1977 Yamaha YZ400D, 1980 Yamaha YZ125G