Author Topic: what size press for doing crankshafts?  (Read 9442 times)

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: what size press for doing crankshafts?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 12:50:56 pm »
that press brake attachment would be very handy and doable at tafe since I don't do the set course the kids get landed with. the scrapy here get a lot of steel off cuts and a good source of cheap steel and a lot of other stuff, I often walk around the paddock and find gear there and get it for cap city scrap price.so what other attachments have you guys made for doing stuff with?

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 01:09:41 pm »
I admire what you are doing Matt.
I went down the fitting and machining apprenticeship line for no other reason then to learn how motorcycle parts are made. Which I still get excited about.

Encouraging to see you have a great teacher that knows the importance of assisting you to think for yourself, by developing your education out of the square.

Although you can do a lot of cranks with the smaller presses, there are some stubborn ones. Maico run a heavy interference for example. You wouldn't attempt to use a tack hammer on a six inch nail, unless it was all you had.

What you have chosen will serve you well for life, and do a lot more than cranks, as Zane and others have suggested.

looking forward to seeing your success. 

PS; no doub you can always upgrade this through its life as opportunity for the right price knocks
EG; when you trip over an old air or electric over/hydraulic pack.

Good luck ;)

"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 09:00:50 pm »
    Matt if you build a press make sure your bed and top are strong enough, quite often you see where they have bent while pressing and that can cause the job to spit out and be dangerous.  You can weld plate on the outside of the bed etc this adds strength and helps to stop bending and also the bed collapsing and spreading.
    It is also a good idea to use flat bar for the uprights, this allows you to bend longer lengths in between them where if you use channel you are limited to the width of the press.   I machine  pressing blocks from dumps of steel and try to keep them if I can to use again later, if you use them once then you will likely use them again.
    Try to position the press where you can get to both sides or it it is not to big and heavy then some fit wheels so they can be moved a bit to make this possible.  But a warning moving heavy presses can also be dangerous (photo below).

These 1 inch bars bent like they were made of solder when the sling broke while moving it.

A couple of bits that are handy to have around your press.

I have 3 plates for pushing cranks apart they are made from Bisloy steel and are in 3 different thicknesses for small to large cranks.

Its handy to have a light,  a knife blade for heavy flatbar etc,  a light weight knife for folding sheet metal etc,   I also made a simple base plate from a bit of flat bar and 2 bits of pipe welded onto it for doing those slow rounded bends.

Zane

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 09:03:57 pm by FAT-TOY »
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline supermoto.mc

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 11:24:26 am »
if your going this far better look at some crank pots too