Author Topic: Grasstrack (long track speedway type) meeting anyone interested?  (Read 3649 times)

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
Re: Grasstrack (long track speedway type) meeting anyone interested?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 10:22:17 pm »
The Bathurst long track was on the trotting track I think and I remember one at Bankstown trots. Were they the ones the Ivan Mauger started off? Probably 10+ years ago now.

yes first one was .........wait for it 1989 starring the incredible Wiggster.

amazing events these ones and burnt in to my memory. i have the 1990 even on DVD and am looking to find someone that has the 1990 event and hopefully the holy grail (for me)   the 1989 event if it was taped (by tony day's  Caric video productions)
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 09:39:32 am »
I'll go anywhere there's Methanol + Castrol R (or whatever they're using these days)

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 11:13:24 am »
I'll go anywhere there's Methanol + Castrol R (or whatever they're using these days)

Hmmm, another addict, we'll have to start a support group ;D
Foss

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 01:13:49 pm »
Yep, you're close Slides, Its full title is NSW Police, Speedways ( Public Safety) Act or at least it was when I had the teeth gnashing experience dealing with it. I still remember the guy's name I had to deal with.
That being said , we got there and got a track licence after crossing all the Ts and dotting the Is, I guess some of the horrific spectator injuries and deaths in the very early days had a lot to do with it's inception.

I too have had to deal with the difficulties of the act, trying to set up natural terrain motocross events on a friendly farmers paddock in the early seventies. In the end my club and I gave up, thwarted by the red tape involved. I believe the act came into being after a race car went into the crowd at Gnoo Blas circuit at Orange, killing a number of people. The government had been spooked by the crash at Le Mans where 80+ people were killed so when the Gnoo Blass incident and another death at a country dirt track that killed a rider and spectator occurred in the same year (I think involving Jack Davies, Foss might remember), the government, in a knee jerk reaction introduced the draconian legislation. Although the details are mostly lost in history, it's also one of the reasons that NSW motocross sidecar racing died almost overnight in the early or mid sixties. Amongst other things, the act called for all race circuits to be fully enclosed by a wooden or concrete "safety fence" which in reality protected spectators at the expence of riders/drivers. The enforcement of the act was backed off only in the latter part of the 70's when we got some more sympathetic police licencing seargents. I believe the remnants of the act still exists in highly modified form as a section of the Sport and Recreation Act.

With regards to Tims idea for grass track races on old country race courses, it's a great idea in theory and if it came off I reckon there'd be tons of grass roots support. However I can't see setting it up being an easy task.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 04:46:58 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha