Author Topic: Should I buy PW's or TTR's for learners?  (Read 3187 times)

Simo63

Re: Should I buy PW's or TTR's for learners?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 10:27:09 PM »
MR50's the go. Brakes in the right spot, a clutch with little engine brakeing and look the part to. Just have to try and find one in good condition so your not working on it all day.

Not bad but I would prefer an XL70 if he/she is tall enough.  Clutch, brake, 4 gears (from memory) with a proper neutral, heaps of engine braking and will run all day on less than half a tank of fuel.

I can recall filling my XL70 for under a dollar once .... now those really were the days  ;D

My young bloke currently has an XR70 and I'm going to do a manual clutch conversion on it using an XL setup .. well that's the plan.

Offline popeye

• Legend
  • 1-2-3 wheel's l don't care...All good fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 01:43:17 AM »
IMO the JR 50 Suzuki is the best to go for as it has everything in the right place just no clutch,front and rear brake are same as a big bike and it has a gear stick but just 1 gear. Also it runs a chain so if an adult rides the bike you don't stuff the shaft drive.
IN IT FOR THE FUN OF IT. LIKE MR NIKE SAYS JUST DO IT.

Offline Dewy123

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 03:20:38 AM »
I've got my 4 year old on a early 80's JR50 and he loves it. I couldn't bring myself to pay the over inflated price the PW50's bring for a bike that will last 2-3 years tops till he grows out of it. Also look at the Kawasaki KDX50 as they are a pretty much a JR50 painted green and are cheaper then the PW50's a mate got one that was in great condition for $500  ;)
But the PW's do last for ever, I've still got my PW80 that i got new for Christmas when i was 7 and I rode it long past i over grew it. It then when't to friends kids too, and its still going. I'll probably give it a much deserved resto before my Sons are ready for it, and probably go again for another 24 years.  ;D
Thanks, Dewy

Offline mitch75

• C-Grade
  • Newcastle NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 08:09:30 PM »
I would go for the Jr/kdx 50 has two ride height settings all the brake levers where big bikes have them.
Both my kids have learnt to ride on it and they are 7 and 9 years old and getting a bit big for it now.
There now taking turns between the kdx 50 and a kx 60.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 08:23:36 PM by mitch75 »
Yamaha DT360a DT250b DT100c YZ400D WR250ZG.