Author Topic: First sliders  (Read 18632 times)

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: First sliders
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2010, 12:35:18 pm »
   That a great shot Jap! sometimes the candid shots are the best,your very lucky to have it. cheers

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2010, 12:50:47 pm »
Thanks , Husky, Its great to still have the photo but it's even better that me Bro , Jim , has the bike and will restore it .

Still have me daughter, when you have sons, you have sons , when you have daughters, you have boomerangs .

OK, more on the Philmac Special:-
Spoke to Peter Campbell this morning , he doesn't have any parts of the bike, however he has been trying to track it, them ?? down for years, he told me that there were about 6 Philmac specials built with various motors . They were built, according to Peter , by Freddy Phillips and Pat Macnamara , apparently they had an engineering business in Penrith, Peter also told me that Brian Carr had a Goldstar engined Philmac, Brian lives at Moruya, however he has lost track of the bike.

'Er Indoors has just granted the funds to go to Nepean on Sunday ,
so,
 I'll See Ya at The Skids
Fossil

Curly3

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2010, 12:53:40 pm »
Do a bit of grasstracking on school oval.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2010, 01:06:14 pm »
Yep , we did that Steve, conned the Shire grader driver to carve a 300 or so yard oval under the power lines where Menai school is now
Foss

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2010, 03:49:11 pm »
Funny thing Fossil I was just reading through todays posts here and I was thinking Freddy Phillips rode one of those I'm sure then I see you posted that. I was saddened when Fred lost his life on the Northern rd. coming back from a day watching at Oran Park. He was a quiet unassuming good bloke. I met old Fred too ,a gentleman. I remember Fred used one brake on his slider, rear, cable operated, from the right handlebar lever and remember thinking that was odd. cheers pancho. PS Forgot to comment on the trendy mutton chops! a bit bushier than mine of those days!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 03:50:51 pm by pancho »
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Curly3

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2010, 08:18:34 pm »
An update on Slider history just rec'd from Les Burdus.
In 1967, Les purchased a Hagon frame from Gordon Gausco who bought it home with him from England, which was actually Alf Hagons own bike that he won several of his Grasstrack titles on.
Les then ordered a 4b JAP Engine through Barry Ryan and rode this bike to win the 500cc ( Senior ) Oz title at Calder VIC in 67. Ray Owen finished second to Les in that race with the placings reversed for the Unlimited title.
Les then sold the bike on to Les Lewis from Hay, with the engine eventually ending up in a TQ.
What a history that bike would have today, if still complete.
I would love to track down any more info on the whereabouts or further history of this bike so if anyone out there has contact with Les Lewis, it would be a start.
This is part of the history of Short Circuit that so far has been overshadowed by Road Racing & Scrambles.
Steve
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 08:32:04 pm by Curly3 »

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2010, 08:31:49 pm »
Don Greigs BSA 350 slider is a prime example of the home built specials that proliferated around the late 1960's and early '70s , Don built the frame , forks , guards, tank and seat plus he even made the handlebars himself, Don is a Dairy farmer from the Far South Coast with an abiding interest in Motorsport, he was a A grader when I first met him at The Terry McDonald Memorial event in Canberra 1972.

A few years ago , Leanne Gordon , from Moruya , organised a " Demonstration " of veteran Short Circuit and Speedway bikes and riders at Surfair Speedway, four early Speedway bikes and riders showed and four Short Circuit riders plus bikes , Don Greig, Kevin Patton, Geoff Watson and myself were there, I was on Tony Days Hagon 84s, Don was on the Beezer after many phone calls between Don and I sorting out maggie and clutch problems with the BSA as it had been parked for over 30 years !.

The Speedway boys went out first and had a ball, one rider went past the red flag four times before we could get him to stop, then it was our turn.

Don led off and I followed at a respectful distance ,we were just puttering when, Geoff and Kevin howled past, locked in their own handlebar to handlebar " Parade ", sod this , I thought , I'm off, ducked underneath Don on turn 2, and set off after the other lads, not a chance , Fossil, I was rounding turn four when I heard the howl of a tortured 30 plus year old Dunlop K 70 and the roar of the open piped Beezer, Don shot past, fully sideways , throttle to the stop , big grin showing from his open face helmet.

He said to me , back in the Pits " Y'know , Al, When you passed me, I just HAD to pass you back" ,
To paraphrase the great KR " It came back to him", Don was in his mid '70s at the time, Way to go !!

Hope I havent bored you all

Fossil
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 10:20:37 pm by jap454 »

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2010, 09:21:31 pm »
Nothing boring there foss! great pic& great story cheers pancho

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2010, 08:24:49 am »
Great Story, once a racer always a racer !

great thread guys, i am really enjoying the pics keep them coming.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2011, 10:40:56 pm »
 bumpity bump

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2011, 06:37:20 pm »
Ok , I know it's been a while since anything was posted here but I was forwarded these letters today on the subject of the first sliders, courtesy of Fotohound, which throw a great deal of light on the subject.
This first letter is from Ray Smith in Darwin

Harv,
That outfit rider on number twelve looked like he was having a good time, and I think the riding shirt may set a new fashion. Seriously though, lots of good photos and apparently no serious injuries. Good to be back into it then?

The title winners history, I’ll have a look at again in the light of corrections that have come in. It’s so easy to get history wrong. Then if it gets repeated often enough, it becomes history, including the errors.

Here’s a bit of history. Paul Spooner, the Hagon importer and top short circuit rider in 1960s once told me that he thought Ray Owen may have privately imported a Hagon, shortly before Paul started bringing them in. In Jim Scaysbrook’s book, there is a photo of Ray having just won multiple Victorian Grass Track Titles, some on his ‘new’ Hagon JAP in 1966. So there’s a question mark over when Ray Owen first acquired the Hagon.

The first one I saw race was ridden by Herb Jefferson, using a 350cc BSA engine at the Taree Old Bar event January 1965, and that was the first of the bikes imported by Paul Spooner. Jeffo ran away from the opposition at that event, and soon afterwards all the top riders were using them. Fortunately Herb and Ray are both still around and they would both know for certain who had the first one.

As an aside, I also raced at the January ’65 Taree event, on a 500 Triumph sidecar (not in the top placings). My passenger Mal Christie, and myself, got arrested in a pub on the Saturday night and accused of among other things, riding our race bike on the road outside the circuit. So it was a weekend of ups and downs, but the biggest up was watching Jeffo going hard. He could ride fast on any bike but he cranked it up a notch on that slider, and changed the whole face of short circuit solo racing in just one day.
Cheers
RS in Darwin

I love the bit about being arrested for riding their outfit around the Taree pub !!

The next letter is from Herb

Hi,
                     I was at a race meeting at Griffith some time in 1964 and Ray Owen had the first Hagon frame with a 350 JAP in it.

After the meeting Ray asked me if i would like to have a few laps on it. I was really impressed with it. Paul spooner was wanting to import them and so I put in my order and over xmas 1964, I put my 350 BSA in it. I denied any knowelge of it and pulled it out at the Old Bar meeting in Jan. 1965 and had a great time.

Everyone asked me what its like and I told them its like riding a broomstick. "I don't know whats going to break first", "I think i'll put the motor back in the BSA duplex frame" etc. So I had it to myself for a fair while then everyone seemed to decide to get one. But the cheats put 500 motors in theirs and that left me "up the creek".

A couple of months later Bill Simpson knocked on my door and told me he had a new ESO motor. What are you going to do with that, Bill? I bought a Hagon frame to put it in. When you going to do all this, Bill? Its done. What are you gonna do with it, Bill? I called down to see if you wanted to ride it. Well, whats it like, Bill? Ohh, you've seen one bike, you've seen them all, haven't you. Ohh I guess so, said Herbie. Why don't you come up and have a look at it, said Bill. Yep, I'll do that, in fact, I'll be up tomorrow night.

Well anyone that's seen Bill's work would know what I seen. A really well built, really highly polished, bike. Almost too clean and polished to ride, well that is almost.

That bike went on to win a lot, and it never stopped on me once. But the part I'm proudest of is that there was a lot of ex riders and bike lovers leaning over the fence with their tongue hanging out. They thought, hey, I'll buy a bike and ask my favourite rider if he wanted to form a team.

Next thing they where in the pits and involved doing something they loved. Then everyone in the pits was laughing and joking.

Cheers,
                   Herb Jefferson.

Answers a few questions and we were on the right track with the dates
Foss
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 07:34:34 pm by JAP 454 »

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2011, 09:26:23 am »
 Just read your post foss, great history stuff, good to see it all archived in this forum.
 cheers pancho.