Author Topic: First sliders  (Read 18628 times)

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
Re: First sliders
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 05:41:09 pm »
Mike 52 that's a great image. Anymore like that that.
Na Col, one off, more,s the pity. :'(
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Curly3

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 07:33:23 pm »
Les's recolection is that Ray Owen and Paul Spooner were the first to bring Hagons to OZ. As Fossil stated, Herb put his 350 BSA into Pauls frame and with his success followed a plethora of copies including one my father made and put a 500 engine made up of various makes and was called " The Thing".
Les said that the new frames and tracks that followed didn't suit his riding style.
That's pretty much when Billy began riding dads bikes.
I may be wrong but I recall that Soapy Taylor also made his own frames for his beloved Velo's.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 09:09:26 pm »
Just yesterday I searched through all my VMX mags looking for that article on "herb" then suddenly it dawned on me that it was in OBA. But I also remembered to look up the story on the Kerr machinery from WA. The Kerr framed machines apparently appeared later in '64. The first time I saw one was at Nepean but I think it was a fair bit later. What E74 was quoting from reminds me of a book I have some where written about Australian speedway. It seemed to have only a limited run, due I believe to faulty binding but mine's intact but hiding amongst a mess. I think Les was more at home on a duplex BSA. Ask him what happens if your foot slips of the foot rest and hits the ground!---at Moorebank.   cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 09:39:33 pm »
Hey Wally
You mentioned Squeeky Whyman in your earlier post, I saw him ride at Old Bar on a Hagon framed Emmot , or is it Emmett ? Matchless, it went like a rocket.
OBA also ran an article on Ray Owen, with some good grasstrack and dirtrack shots , in there was a photo of Ray riding the Hagon JAP at a scramble meeting !!! , he had obviously just landed after a jump, the JAP crankcase had hit the ground , nearly throwing him off, his backside was about 2 foot off the seat, apparently he went on to win the event, mad bastard !!.

Anyway the Phillmac Special I wrote about , do you remember the bike and who rode it ??
Fossil

firko

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 10:33:25 pm »
Here's an old relic from the 60s we uncovered. An Elstar BSA. No idea of its history.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 11:10:37 pm by firko »

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2010, 10:49:16 pm »
the remains of the philmac matchless were for sale at bendigo swap few years back,George Campbell (melbourne)bought the spare crank there,& Peter Campbell (Golburne) has either the Philmac Velo's engine (i think),or the frame,pretty sure it's the motor!, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 06:43:38 am »
Thanks for that, Mick , I'll have a yarn with PC and see what he's got.  I will try to get photos of whatever he has . Do you know who rode the Philmac Special ? was the name a combination of a first name and surname ?
Foss

Curly3

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 07:14:55 am »
That's my Elstar Firko, 350 BSA as ridden by Billy & Carl.
It's the bike that Teeboned Ian Burkett at Amaroo, there are 2 photos in the Foto thread.
Carl got a third on it at the OZ titles in St Kilda STH OZ in 69 or 70 as a 17 year old.
Ian reckons it was a " Biggen " but I've checked and its not.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 07:50:28 am by Curly3 »

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 08:40:39 am »
I saw the race number on the Elstar BSA and did wonder if it was the bike Carlos was on at Amaroo, now you know its history, Firko , good one

OK, Early slider

Me first slider,this is the Ariel Jim has , Art Senior 350 motor with some later Sid Willis modifications, frame cut off at the seat tube and a new front end made by me on me back verandah , rear end cut and shut , bantam forks and front wheel , rotrax tank.

Me daughter in the photo is now a 40 something mother of 4, how time flys !!

Fossil

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2010, 09:12:48 am »
think Philmac is still trading,(mowers/chainsaws now) in Taree,well they were last time i looked  ::),probably original blokes have long retired,new owners kept the trading name,some one might know,any taree locals??, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

firko

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2010, 09:16:36 am »
hat's my Elstar Firko, 350 BSA as ridden by Billy & Carl.
It's the bike that Teeboned Ian Burkett at Amaroo, there are 2 photos in the Foto thread.
Carl got a third on it at the OZ titles in St Kilda STH OZ in 69 or 70 as a 17 year old.
Ian reckons it was a " Biggen " but I've checked and its not.
I had a feeling it might just have been yours and Carls Steve. Jonesy found the photo somewhere or other and I put it in my Elstar file. Now I can caption it.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2010, 10:48:14 am »
I saw the race number on the Elstar BSA and did wonder if it was the bike Carlos was on at Amaroo, now you know its history, Firko , good one

OK, Early slider

Me first slider,this is the Ariel Jim has , Art Senior 350 motor with some later Sid Willis modifications, frame cut off at the seat tube and a new front end made by me on me back verandah , rear end cut and shut , bantam forks and front wheel , rotrax tank.

Me daughter in the photo is now a 40 something mother of 4, how time flys !!

Fossil

Dig the mutton chops.
This picture and caption is an awesome slice of history Fossil.
Thanks for sharing.
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Curly3

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2010, 11:32:46 am »
Were you in the Seekers Allan?

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2010, 11:53:13 am »
Naah, mate, I was in a world of me own

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2010, 12:13:18 pm »
yep i have the bike that allan built i live 1.4klm from were that pic was taken in the 60s(bangor nsw).the bike was built in bangor(meani then) and will be rebuilt in bangor.cant take it to were the pic was taken as there is bangor primary school on the spot.
jim