Author Topic: Dakar Rallye Cancelled  (Read 9560 times)

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
Re: Dakar Rallye Cancelled
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2008, 11:56:58 pm »
Freaky, I can see you're passionate about this subject.
On the road deaths thing I think we're all aware of the massive increase in bike deaths these last twelve months.

Personally I think it's far too easy to get a bike licence.
I don't want people on ROAD BIKES who juuuust managed to pass their test.
They should piss it in!
They should be very confident - and not putting their feet down for the last twenty metres as they slow for the red light.
Or trail their feet upon take off until the motor screams for second gear please.
How many times do we observe riders who are really unsure of themselves in traffic?

I'd be interested to know how many of these unfortunate bike death victims have learnt to ride on the road?
The road is terribly unforgiving when you come off.
Maybe some serious compulsory hours of dirt riding would impart some handling knowledge to the beginners?
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2008, 12:08:03 am »
Kick start is set up for kids / learners for Dirt licences and has cetain fundamantal motions etc, but when was the last time you saw road testers ask a L platers to pick a bike up ? slow ride properly in control, or better still teach road postioning ? like you say positive riding is important, confidant rider/machines work on roads, half arsed or shit scarred learners are just waiting to hit something, I see a lot of dare i say it, scooter riders hard left doing 30KM thinking they are doing the right thing, a left turn or a t bone waiting to happen. 

Clear, obvious and deliberate riders seem to last longer on 2 wheels.  I was told by a rider safe instructer when my girlfreind went for her licence 3 years ago, that he only passes based on 1 thing, they are confident they know what they are doing and can show him they can ride safley and with confidence, if you look like you trying to learn to ride a push bike for the first time he cuts them off the first week, even when they come back for the second weekend, they are marked.  They want them, to go away and practice even if its in a tennis court so tyhey are paying attention to the road not forking around with the controls or the clucth. 

Getting a learners is still a little to administration and watch a movie based i think you'll agree ?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 12:10:28 am by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2008, 12:34:08 am »
Ah, the scooters - two female friends come to mind!!!
When they told me they were considering scooters to get about I asked "why not a proper motorbike?"
NO, far too dangerous was their respective replies...and they listed several reasons why bikes were too dangerous.
I tried to explain that for all their reasoning it applied at least double for scooters!
I think scooters are a bit like the mobile phone - small, cute and you just have to have one; and fashionable.
Have you ever seen someone on a scooter actually suited correctly?
No, it's skirts and tops for the girls and something trendy for the boys.
Don't get me wrong, young women look hot wearing skirts on a scooter but one slide down the road will put an end to skirt wearing in public.   

It's easy to get off track isn't it? I just remembered this thread is about the Dakar Rally...
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Tony T

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2008, 08:53:09 am »
Just heard yesterday that the 2009 'Dakar' Rallye will be held through Argentina and Chile.
Disappointing not to be seeing those long African stages again, but should be interesting no less.
ASO are also holding a rallye in central Europe (Hungary and Romania) in April for all those competitors that missed out on this year's Dakar.

YSS

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2008, 09:13:24 am »
Will  it still be called " Paris Dakar Rally " ?