Author Topic: What has really frightened the shite out of you??  (Read 8213 times)

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
Re: What has really frightened the shite out of you??
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 04:33:08 pm »
What frightens me these days is falling off and missing most of it.

In the old days a fall happened in slow motion. Bike start to go, foot goes down, fight to regain control, realise it's no good, the slow motion fall, hit the ground, roll etc.

Now days I seem to go from bike starting to go, directly to, hit the ground. I seem to miss all the steps in the middle. That scares me.

Brent
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 04:37:33 pm »
I too was enjoying a Christmas drink the other evening with Husky 61 and some other gentlemen when Magoo showed up. It was indeed a very frightening experience.

sounds like you guys need a group therapy meeting to cope !
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline BETRIC

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 07:16:24 pm »
Crashing in the clay pits at Menai in 1973 when I was 13yrs old, I was side swiped by a DT360 while riding my XR75, the result was a Right leg broken in 5 places, the side of my big toe and knee cap exposed, and me laying on my back with my leg next to my head, plus having 5 operations and 9 months in Bankstown Hospital, and scaring the shit out of my friends and parents, the DT rider got away with a gash up his back and about 40 stitches, my XR75 had the right side of the motor ripped out of it, the shock bent like a banana plus bars pegs etc damaged, it was another 2 years before it was repaired.
DELTEK, 72 MINI TRAIL, 73/4 XR75, 77/78 XR75, DG MONOSHOCK FRAME XR75, REDLINE FRAME XR75, PK RACING MONOSHOCK FRAME XR75, JWRP XR FRAME, SL70K1, 81 CR80RB, TY80A/B, YZ80A/B/D, GT50/80A, GTMX80A, 73 GTMX, GT1, COOPER MX, COOPER ENDURO,MX360A,MX250B,YZ125X MX100, 72 XL250, TC100,TL125, TY250C,IT250J

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 07:45:06 pm »
There was a looooooonnng front wheel wheelie, while landing from a jump on my DT250A that rates as my scariest on-bike moment, but it wasn't that big a deal in the big picture (although I thought so at the time).

In the rally car at around 130~140kph in the wet when it falls off the crown of the road and is heading into the trees, rates as the most frightening for me. The car was totally unresponsive to any input as we hurtled off the road, but then a change in camber just kinda popped it back onto the road like nothing had ever been wrong. I have never been that scared while having the controls in my hands, and I made no effort to hide my fear... The navigator looked up briefly and said "What!?" before calmly giving the next instruction...

Another time, in a different rally car, putting the inside wheels over a BIG drop elicited a very un-man-like 'eeep' from me. That nav said "What!?" too.

Watching young Tom falling off the grandstand at the HEAVEN round in the ACT wasn't real good either.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

All Things 414

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2007, 10:29:30 am »
Arriving at the Melbourne Cup in the same hat as Catrina Rowntree and Jennifer Keyte.........
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 07:39:14 am by All Things 414 »

Offline fatboycrash

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2007, 07:16:55 pm »

>Arriving at the Melbourne Cup in the same hat as Catrina Rowntree and Jennifer Kyte.........

And that frightened you? Mate, do we need to have an instructional birds and bees chat???? ;D ;D ;D

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2007, 10:34:17 pm »
Every time my kids get there bikes,s on the pipe my hearts stops and i wonder if i have done the right thing . but the looks at the end of the day and the bench racing on the way home is worth it.
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2007, 10:29:51 am »
The other Sunday coming into a corner too hot on a 950 super enduro seeing a big drainage ditch lined with big gum trees. Managed to shave off enough speed to hit the ditch, bounce and follow it along.  Then have two roos run across the road. Then take a corner wide and nearly have a head on with a Hi ace van.  Hit a big ditch on a muddy road. Picked for a fight by a car load of imbibed indigenous brothers. And then to finish the day, chased down the highway by cops.

From now on I'm spending my Sunday's at home watching Foxtel.

Offline dkupf

• A-Grade
  • Kinka Beach Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2007, 10:47:57 am »
Back in the early 80's I was swinging on a speedway side car. I went back to get ready for a race and my rider was Blowing a Bloody Big Joint. After the argument we mounted up and went out to race.  ::)We started in the middle of the track,went straight to about a foot off the wall and stayed there flat out for the whole race. All the time he was smiling from ear to ear. Sure as hell frightened the shit out of me :-X Darcy
I might not be winning,But I'll be grinning

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2007, 12:31:00 pm »
Yep can relate to that Darcy as during my speedway solo days a good percentage of riders were on the gunga (i never touched the stuff) a know a few that gave the sport away when MA was going to introduce Random testing in early 90's.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline lyle2212

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2007, 07:09:53 pm »
Back in 1995  I bought a 91 model ktm 2stroke 250cc. I pulled the tank off to work on something and found the frame to be slightly squashed in.  Upon enquiring about the previous owner I discovered that his favourite pastime was being chased by the police on the bike. One day karma caught up with him when he and his bike went sideways in top gear into a 5 inch diameter tree. He shifted the tree roots and all about 3 feet. Luckily for him he was riding with mates who went back to look for him after some time , where they found him and his smashed leg being made a meal of by bull ants. He spent the next 6 months in darwin hospital with his leg in scaffolding!!!