Author Topic: DUMB THINGS THAT HAPPEN WHEN YOU ARE WORKING ON BIKE  (Read 10774 times)

TT

Re: DUMB THINGS THAT HAPPEN WHEN YOU ARE WORKING ON BIKE
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2010, 10:05:49 pm »
Similar to Dave King's, I was undoing a rear sprocket and remember thinking what would happen if the spanner slipped.................   :-\

Lots of meat left on the sprocket teeth, lots of blood on the shed floor and lots of hopping around the shed sucking on said knuckles............  ::)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2010, 04:23:11 am »
must admit not my story but made me laugh at the time.  When I was a kid I used to buy MXA regular as clockwork.  Favourite bit was Jodi Weisels column - him and his pit tootsie stories.  Any way one column he says last race of the day and he fouls the plug on his 125.  Must fix that when I get home.  Now Jodi was one of those guys who left everything until the last minute.  Poop, bugger, bum he says gotta do that plug.  However bike hasn't even been cleaned.  Thats OK just pull the plug out, change it over and job's done.  However he knocks the bike and drops a dollop of mud straight into the cylinder.  Much procrastination later he sees the piston is not quite top dead centre with the mud sitting just on top.  If I kick the bike over gently the piston will come up, bit of grease on the end of this valve tool and then I can get it out.  Guess what - kicks the bike over and the piston promptly goes down.  AAAHHHHHHH!  Ok now head has to come off, then long story short barrell soon follows until finally he drops the mud into the bottom end. Fill motor with fuel/degreaser or whatever, dump it all out on the floor - all happening afternoon/evening before the Sunday race and flush the offending dirt out.  OK managed that successfully, barrell, piston, rings, head all back on - add gearbox oil, put plug in.  Go to bed absolutely knackered - just what you want before race day.  Lines up for practice - after all the dramas had put the old plug back in - still fouled!!!

Of course as is Jodi's style a lot more eloquently explained than myself - hence remembering it nearly 30 years on  :P

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2010, 06:58:15 am »
Recently a friend decided to make his own twin leading shoe front brake for a Maico. He did such a superb job that when he went to test ride no shoes and only a costume on tar , he grabbed a handful on the front, locked up the front wheel and basically lost most of his tan to road rash. He even looked sore . Poor Buggar - his nickname the ''Dumpster"'
Old and slow - and happy

mx250

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2010, 07:14:22 am »
Poor Buggar - his nickname the ''Dumpster"'
That's just cruel - but I like it ;D.

dave

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2010, 08:26:08 am »
Not me but a customer's brother (lets call him Mohammed)! I took a deposit of a new 916 Ducati (18 month wait for those buggers). Rode it to the RTA to get it registered, both mechanics went for a quick spit (we had to it was the 1st 916 in Sydney). Mohammed's brother doesn't know it's arrived so Mohammed comes to pick it up to surprise him for his birthday. I explain all the cautions to Mohammed about new tyres etc and he says yeah yeah I've done this before. He rides off and round the 1st corner no worries. "Lucky brother", we say as we walk back into the shop. 10 minutes later Mohammed limps back into the shop, helmet in hand crying saying his brother is going to kill him because he thought he'd "give it a bit" when all of a sudden the rear tyre slid out and now the 916 is jammed under a new looking BMW around the corner at Alto BMW...ouch

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2010, 01:36:23 pm »
A clubmate had a leaking alloy tank on his roadracer. Needless to say, before welding the repair he washed the tank out with water to prevent any explosion. With the job complete, he let it cool down, and then put some petrol in, only to discover it still had a small leak. Cursing, he turned the tank upside down and went for the welding torch again.... ::)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

suzuki43

« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2010, 05:17:03 pm »
Heres my confession..
Late one night two days out from the first MR VMX race in Dannevirke last year, trimming down the left hand side cover of my RM to fit around the twin air single sided airbox..anyway decided to cut it in towards myself..... stanley knife slipped and voila! a fairly sizeable gash in my left index finger,off to A&E where they did their business.
I still did the race but finger got infected due to the mud bath, so I needed a course of antibiotics to fix it up and a bit of scaping!.She is  all healed now apart from the heinous scar.