Author Topic: DUMB THINGS THAT HAPPEN WHEN YOU ARE WORKING ON BIKE  (Read 10776 times)

Offline dave king

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: DUMB THINGS THAT HAPPEN WHEN YOU ARE WORKING ON BIKE
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2010, 04:43:12 pm »
I was trying to trim some decals and could only find a hooked stanley knife blade minus the handle, found a pair of pliers to hold the blade and thought to myself as i was pulling towards myself what would happen if i slip?    you work the rest out!!!!!!! 4 hrs in casulty.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2010, 04:46:24 pm »
Picking up exhaust without gloves straight after welding it.
Average 10 times a year
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Curly3

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2010, 04:47:00 pm »
I bet there are a few renditions of this stuff up.
Fairburn Park Dirt Track, circa 1980, I had an A5 KX250, grabbed a fuel container that I thought was mine while rushing to re-fuel with 2 races close together, put straight fuel in it.
Great start and flew for 2 laps until whack.
Chrome bore on those if I remember rightly.  

firko

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2010, 05:40:12 pm »
Whalan: circa 1973.
Not having a 250 class bike at the time and not being overawed by Maico 250s I'd picked up a nice 250 CZ for a good price from a bloke in our club who was going into gaol. In a rush to get it ready for an upcoming Amaroo MX I spent the usual Saturday doing what we all do to pre race prep our bike. After oiling, adjusting, fuelling and polishing the CZ I decided to start he up to make sure everything was working okey dokey. Being young and bulletproof I didn't think I'd need to go inside and put a pair of boots on to kick her over. The thongs would do, it was only a pissy 250 afterall and I had gone through the RT1 Yamaha kickstart initiation. If I could kick one of those bastards over, I could kick anything.

I was correct in the estimation of my ability with a kicker. The CZ fired right up with only a slight jarring sensation through my thong clad left foot. I clicked her into first and took off down the street with no obvious problems. On the return journey I noticed that I'd left a trail of fluid up the road so, wondering what it was, looked down to see if I'd left a fuel line off or an oil plug had come out. That's when I saw the blood gushing out of the gaping hole in the instep of my left foot with blood pumping out like a garden hose. It seems I'd caught my foot on the serrated footpeg during the kick start arc but for some reason hadn't felt any pain. That is until I saw the 3"x2" flap of instep flesh flopping in the wind and the gush of blood that by now had covered the engine, back wheel and my left leg. I rode into my driveway just as my mums friend Betty arrived and as soon as she saw the bloodworks she promptly fainted right there in front of me on the driveway. I stalled the bike, jumped off and lay on the lawn trying to figure what to do. All of the noise, blood and what looked like a dead Betty on the driveway drew the attention of my neighbour who, upon seeing the blood assumed I'd run Betty over so he started to work on her. The drama all seemed to take minutes but I suppose in real time from kicking the bike right through to hitting the lawn probably only took 30 seconds but during that time I must have lost a couple of pints of blood. My neighbour ran into my house and got my mum to call 000 and within 2 minutes an Ambo was there to rush me to Blacktown hospital where they sewed over 20 internal and external stitches into the instep of my left foot. I was in hospital for three or four days and you can imagine the flack I got from doctors for not only riding a motorcycle but daring to do it in thongs!  To this day the scar is still quite noticable and I've never had full feeling in that part of my foot since.

I've never tried starting a bike in thongs again either.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 05:42:32 pm by firko »

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2010, 05:48:44 pm »
I didn't want to read that Mark ican still feel my toes curling up just thinking about it!
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Curly3

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2010, 06:21:29 pm »
You've opened up a whole new subject there Firko. Stupid things we've all done in Thongs.

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2010, 07:32:57 pm »
stupid things in thongs,also in whalan riding my pushbike with no brakes and decided to use my foot on the front tyre to slow me down my front tyre grabbed my thong and spat it out the front then the tyre grabbed my foot and jammed two toes between the forks so i went to go over the handlebars but because the bike was attached to my foot it came with me :D and ended in a big heap skidding to a stop on my back in the middle of the road ;D

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2010, 07:50:09 pm »
I don't know if this qualifies but....I thought it would be a good idea to have a seat belt in my billy cart. The moment the left front wheel dropped off the footpath and dug into the grass naturestrip (at a decent clip mind you) and the whole thing barrell rolled with me trapped in it I decided that perhaps I might remove the belt....very soon.
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Curly3

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2010, 07:54:02 pm »
Walking through the Caravan park in Gerringong, in thongs, spotted a milk carton sitting on the ground so I ran up and kicked it like a goal kick, only to find out that someone had cut the base out of it & placed it over a wooden peg in the ground.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2010, 08:11:45 pm »
Ouch!!!! :D :D :D ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline dalesween

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2010, 08:38:52 pm »
Thanks Firko,think i,ll put the boots on next time i crank up the ktm360!

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2010, 08:48:21 pm »
Firko - yours beats mine hands down but similarly - my CR250 (73) arrived from the East the day I was flying back to work.  Thought best give it a quick check to let the guy I bought it from know everything was OK.  this was a seriously worked CR - reed valve, ported, windowed piston blah blah blah.  I thought (not having been on a bike for 20 odd years) - how hard can it be to kick over a 30 year old 250 2 stroke.  Anyway - result was I couldn't walk for 3 days where it coughed and spat back and hit me in the back of the calf leaving me black for a week.  Always grabed a boot since then ;D

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2010, 08:54:28 pm »
Yeah there are bikes you can't start in work boots let alone thongs my 400 has peeled skin right off my shin when it has kicked back done it probably three times becuase I didnt get the bike boots on took a few times for me to learn. ::)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline DR500

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2010, 09:06:37 pm »
Cleaned air filter on Dr500 at 2009 nationals ,forgot to tighten seat bolts, which resulted in seat coming off while air bourne over Drunks hill.Needless to say it was an interesting landing!!

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2010, 09:42:17 pm »
Was riding at Wells Rd one time when I got a rear puncture.
Struggled fitting a new tube as incompetent Enduro riders do.
It was a hot day so went off to the canteen to get a drink while leaving the finished wheel next to the bike,.
When I got back the wheel was fitted in the bike and my mates had gone out onto the track again.
Impressed with what good mates I had that would eagerly lend a hand I put my gear back on and hit the track too.

Only got a lap and half in when things got all weird and I went over the bars.

Once I picked myself up I looked the bike over to discover the axle nut missing, the axle half out and the rear wheel all skew wiff.
My good mates then scoffed at me for not tightening the axle properly.
But it was you guys that put the wheel in I whined.
Yeah, we helped you by putting the wheel in but we only did the axle nut up finger tight, it was your job to finish it.
Nice of them to tell me this now.

Moral of the story…
# Never let mates help
# Never trust mates
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/