Author Topic: Progressive Suspension for PE?  (Read 2478 times)

TT

Progressive Suspension for PE?
« on: March 28, 2010, 06:46:25 pm »
I'm looking for options for shocks on my PE250T and, of course, I'm on a budget.  ::)
I've found heavy duty (cos I'm fat) Progressive Suspension shock new for $US188.00.
Has anyone used them or have any other suggestions for a simliar price?

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Progressive Suspension for PE?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 06:50:59 pm »
With suspension you get what you pay for.
Jesus only loves two strokes

TT

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 07:29:46 pm »

I'm well aware of that, Lozza. But I'm just interested in getting the bike rideable fairly cheaply. It only cost me $600.00 so I'm not interested in spending a heap of money on it. Simply not worth it. It will only get ridden a couple of time a year. If I ever get serious about racing again, I've got a guy who will build the suspension for me.

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 07:30:28 pm »
Tony I got proggresive ones from my bike shop when i first done my 400 up and they were just as bad as the originals but they do the job I have bought two pairs of Ohlins though to be rebuilt they were around $200 US a pair but they need rebuilding but then they are great shocks.
1971 tm400 and PE's

TT

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 07:47:37 pm »
Tony I got proggresive ones from my bike shop when i first done my 400 up and they were just as bad as the originals but they do the job

Thanks Frosty. At this stage, if they keep the back wheel off the guard, I'll be happy. The best suspension in the world won't make me any faster....... I crap myself if I hit anything bigger than a cigarette butt anyway...........  ::)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 10:44:54 pm »

I'm well aware of that, Lozza. But I'm just interested in getting the bike rideable fairly cheaply. It only cost me $600.00 so I'm not interested in spending a heap of money on it. Simply not worth it. It will only get ridden a couple of time a year. If I ever get serious about racing again, I've got a guy who will build the suspension for me.

Save your $$, use the stock shitters and put your hard earned toward the rebuilt suspension
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline suzuki447

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 11:24:23 pm »
gday ,i still have stock original shocks on my pe175 and they were real soft ,i got some rm 250t springs and put them on  they are ,no sag at all good for stockersheavier and they work great ,made a big difference/ for stock shocks.
bikes in shed.74tm125,76,78,82rm125s,...82,83rm250s.80canam qualifier.80,83yz125s.86yz490.80it125.76it400.80pe175and250.79rm50.76xr75.2xpuch50 magnums.jawa speedway.72honcho 90.84xr200.87xr100.phew thats all.

TT

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 09:04:25 am »
Save your $$, use the stock shitters and put your hard earned toward the rebuilt suspension

I'm not disagreeing with you Lozz, but for this project, economy is important and the stock shocks are stuffed. So I need to replace them with something as cheaply as possible as I've got another project coming soon that I'll need to throw some money at as well.
I know it's not the best solution, but it's all I can afford at the moment and I really want it going for the Harrow Vinduro.

Offline oldmxracer

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 10:50:30 am »
Has anyone ever tried Ohlins 4 wheeler shocks? They are all over eBay and reasonably priced.....Just a thought.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 12:12:56 pm »
Tony, I've used Progressives on a couple of Suzukis. They work. Just not very well. But they will do the job of keeping the seat off the tyre, and as long as you don't go too fast should be fine. The ones I've used had very poor damping and it was next to impossible to get them right as they came. Preload enough to get them firm enough for racing and they had too little rebound damping, soften them off to make it more controllable and they would bottom everywhere. Plus they blew seals twice in 6 months when being used on my racebike - an RM400. So, they are a sub $200 shock. if you set them reasonably soft and ride at a generally moderate pace on the trails, they should be OK. Might not last forever, tho. On the other hand, there may be better options for the money. I give them 4/10.

TT

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 02:40:34 pm »
On the other hand, there may be better options for the money. I give them 4/10.

Maybe I do need to reconsider and look for S/H Works Shocks or similar.   :-\
I've had a couple of sets of NOS Arnaco's that worked great, were adjustable, rebuildable and cost under a hundred bucks! But I can't seem to find any of those at the moment.