Author Topic: Deep Creek owner  (Read 1195 times)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
Deep Creek owner
« on: March 17, 2010, 08:00:38 pm »
I spotted this in the Age yesterday.
If I remember correctly Keith was the owner of the Deep Creek motorcycle park in Bulla.
I think it was the Airport that made him shut it down?

He tried to set up another track closer to Gladstone Park.
He had a demo day there in 86 in front of a heap of QC's and other guys with letters after their names, trying to convince them that a track wouldn't be that bad a thing.
I strayed off the main line & hit a rock in the grass & went over the bars landing on my head, I was pretty ratshit but had to pretend I was fine so as not to upset the apple cart.
Couldn't ride for 4 weeks after that.

I hope he has a win, I had to pick the missus up from Tulla last Sat. Cost me $36.00 to get out of the place after her plane was delayed.
Ken Mongrels

Sunbury couple in battle over airport parking
ANDREW HEASLEY March 16, 2010

IN A battle of David and Goliath proportions, a couple in their 70s are mounting a legal challenge against the Commonwealth Government and Melbourne Airport that could overturn the airport's master plan.

Keith and Norma McLaughlin, both 73 from Sunbury, are challenging the airport's monopoly on parking. They are challenging its long-term expansion plans at the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.

At the centre of the dispute are 13 hectares the McLaughlins have owned since the mid-1980s that adjoin the airport boundary. The land is just 350 metres from the main terminal building, but the approved airport master plan shows no right of access to it.

The McLaughlins want to develop the land by building extra car parking - in competition to the existing airport car parks - and erecting office buildings.

Last week, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission found Melbourne Airport earned $94.8 million from parking last year - the highest figure of any airport in the country.

The McLaughlins say the airport master plan limits their right of access to the land and affects their quest to develop it. They want the tribunal to overturn federal Transport Minister Anthony Albanese's approval.

The tribunal has already ruled that the McLaughlins have a case to hear and it will review Mr Albanese's decision.

Two formidable legal teams are scheduled to line up for the tribunal showdown. These two teams are lined up against the McLaughlins. Mr Albanese is represented by the might of the office of the Australian Government Solicitor, with barrister Stephen Donaghue.

The airport, which is a ''joined party'' in the action, is represented by heavyweights Coors Westgarth Chambers, with Adrian Finanzio as counsel.

As for the McLaughlins, they are being assisted by family friend Eric Wilson, a former IT columnist for The Age who is not a lawyer, but who has helped the McLaughlins win their battle to be heard by the tribunal.

The case begins tomorrow.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
Re: Deep Creek owner
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 08:08:19 pm »

He tried to set up another track closer to Gladstone Park.
He had a demo day there in 86 in front of a heap of QC's and other guys with letters after their names, trying to convince them that a track wouldn't be that bad a thing.

Does QC stand for "Quick Kunts" ???  ;)

I'm with you Geoff, hope he wins out. i used to love riding there on a Saturday, wash the bikes on the way home and prep it that night ready for race day on Sunday. i can't remember ever being so keen to ride as i was back then, even got a mid week practice in at Governor or wells road too.

I even have some grainy old Super 8 silent films from there. i loved riding the super cross track back then as i was jump mad ( not now ) and loved the Canyon quads and the big double. took me a while to get the nerve to do the big double and did it with a mates YZ490K as i reckoned that i needed the extra grunt to make it, probably not that big a leap by today's standards.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 08:31:19 pm by Hoony »
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 08:28:23 pm »
Nah, you can stick that bloody supercross shit you know where ;D
Hardly ever rode it, rode it even less after I looped out ::)

You would always find me on the "European" track on the hillside.

Back when I was keen I would practice at Broadmeadows on Wednesday's before starting shift work
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

mx250

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 08:53:33 pm »
Sounds a bit like The Castle. I hope they have the same happy ending. ;) :) 8).

A monopoly by stealth with Government collusion is abhorrent - corrupt and undemocratic. We all should take an active interest in the outcome. 

PB20

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 09:27:33 pm »
GMC, you should be happy you dont have to park at Sydney airport... they dont have anywhere for a simple pick up you have to go into the carpark pay $7 just to roll in to do a pick up. I hope Mac bank choke the fork out of themselves on debt!

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 09:33:10 pm »
i used to fly to syd or melb pick up new trucks drive back to brissy,left my car in the standard carpark cost me $150 for two days