Author Topic: Fire danger  (Read 18454 times)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Fire danger
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2009, 05:47:41 pm »
Well it's good to be back in the civilized world. The power came back on last Wed night, we were starting to get jack of camping in our house, boiling cuppa's on the camp stove & eating raw toast :o Had to go out to friends places for  showers as we are on tank water, no power means no pressure pump.
We sent our son & the hard drive to Melb. for the week & just got them both back.
Mind you I’m not complaining, we were living in paradise compared to many.

Decided to pick up a cheap generator last Sunday as the rumours were up to 2 weeks to get power back on. Pulled it out of the box threw some fuel in as I was eager to get the fridge & freezer connected. Started it up but it stalled within a few seconds, Hmmm must be cold, pulled the cord again, brrrm, then stopped again. Tried to start it again but the pull cord wouldn't work, bugger, must have got tangled, out with the tools.
Turns out nothing wrong with the pull cord, it was just a seized motor :o
Bloody thing had no oil, the "put oil in" warning was in the middle of the instruction book, I felt like a real dickhead, you'd reckon someone like me would have thought to check but my mind was so pre-occupied I just didn't think about it.
Another trip back to Melb. to swap it, just said, something wrong with this mate, it won't start, & was given another ::)
Later on I read the book some more & it was supposed to have come with a bottle of oil in the box which neither of them had. I imagine they may have had quite a few returned all with the same mysterious problem.
As I suspected the cheap genny wouldn’t look at the pumps. Luckily we were lent a good one to run the pumps a few days later, at least we could refill the storage tank from the dam. Always new I should get a good generator for these times but 2 grand for a good one is 2 grand I could spend on a bike or tools, in hindsight though I should have made the genny a priority.

Sorry to hear about your mate Tim, & to any one else that lost a friend.

Bunkers in the backyard would be good, but away from the house, I heard of some that perished in a cellar, where I assume the heat & lack of oxygen weren’t hospitable.

I have thought this a few times over the years, even after 4robs saga, but still haven’t done it. When you back up your files next try making another back up to store somewhere else for safe keeping, parents place or someone else you can trust to store it.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2009, 05:51:06 pm »
just looked out the back at the dandenongs and there on fire some were around belgrave

firko

« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2009, 06:58:39 pm »
A good news story.
I just got a phonecall from Tony Clarke to tell me that the family narrowly avoided any fire damage in Eaglehawk. Brian and Bev evacuated but the fire changed direction when it was a block from their home. Brother Noel and family had packed up and evacuated his bikes in anticipation but didn't need to leave. After Brians near fatal fall a while ago it would have been awful for one of the sports nicest and most dedicated families to suffer another setback.

Offline Viper666

• Legend
  • "Yes I bought THAT number plate" so sue me!
    • View Profile
    • Ballarat Rovers MCC
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2009, 04:43:15 pm »
Just an update fellas.

The money we raise from the "Come & Try" day at Monza will go to the Bush Fire Appeal.

To "Come & Try" cost $10 & any member of the public can ride. You dont need to be a member of a club or have a licence.

Viper666
Thank the Lord for Melbourne Bitter, anti-inflamatory drugs & an understanding wife.
YZ80H, YZ100G, YZ125E, YZ125F, YZ125G, YZ250D, YZ250E, YZ250F, YZ250G, YZ250H, YZ400F, IT125G, IT250K & a, a, a,      CRF250X???????    

How the FUG did that sh*tbox Honda get in here?

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2010, 11:37:51 am »
In memory of those lost and for those with many bikes.RIP

West Aust this week  gone.
The random destruction of the Toodyay bushfire has been highlighted as neighbours return to find out if their houses survived the blaze.

Frank Korzeniewski's worst fears were realised as he returned to his Drummondi Drive home. The amateur motorcycle racer has lost his entire property, including a collection of more than 40 classic motorbikes, all of which was uninsured.

He said even if he was insured a lot of his classic motorcycles were irreplaceable.

Mr Korzeniewski moved to Toodyay to restore the bike collection and build his house after retiring in 2000.

Walking down what remained of his driveway this afternoon, a shell of a car and molten puddles of metal that were once motorbikes was all that greeted him.

"This was my life's collection," he said. "Everything that I've planned for the rest of my days has just gone."

Mr Korzeniewski said he was really surprised at the extent of the damage because the fire had not touched several properties he had passed on the way to his house.
Best is in the West !!