Author Topic: Advice needed on tyre changing.  (Read 3770 times)

Offline TeeBone

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Advice needed on tyre changing.
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 11:29:45 am »
Changing tyres. like anything, is easier with the correct method.

Follow Jimmy's advice and it'll come easy, but add in one more piece of info - START and FINISH at the RIMLOCK. When taking the tyre off, position the Rimlock @ the 12 o'clock position and lever off either side. When putting the tyre back on, start at the bottom (or 6 o'clock) position and finish up the top (12 o'clock). Doing it this way allows the tyre to fall into the middle of the rim. Do it the opposite way and there'll be tears - and new swear words for the kids!
Destined to a life behind bars. A garage full of KTM's and a 73 CR 250M Honda....H7 250 Monty will be at Harrow!
A "never was" of the Nineties...

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 12:07:35 pm »
About every 2 years  I  seem to convince myself that I am better at tyre changes than I obviously am . What follows is a flurry of tools and baby powder and a fool sweating like Elvis at his last concert. Then I swear that will be the last time I EVER do it.What I need is the missus to take a photo of me about 5 minutes from completing the tyre change, which could be anywhere from 1 to 3 hours, and put it beside the tyre levers just to jog my memory.  For $10 at the local shop, including disposal, I won't be doing any tyre changes.....for at least a year!

magoo

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2009, 12:26:03 pm »
Note to self, in future, change tyres BEFORE partaking of any alcoholic type beverages. This mornings effort, 20 minutes from start to finish, no grief, no stress, no scratched rims and no busted knuckles. The only thing I did differently to yesterday was no beer beforehand. I'll try and remember that little tip for the future!!!

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2009, 01:56:05 pm »
Gee you must have started the tyre changing early!

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2009, 02:04:08 pm »
Worst tyres I ever changed were the bloody tubeless tyres on my Trials bike.
The rim's valley isn't very deep which doesn't allow the tyre to slip in, in order to get the other side on, & then getting them onto the bead enough to get pressure into them was a bitch as you need to put pressure into them to get them onto the bead, catch 22
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Sun Prarie Jimmy

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2009, 02:51:42 pm »
Just stick to VB  ;D

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2009, 05:29:22 pm »
use plenty of rubber grease, works even better than VB.