Author Topic: Advice needed on tyre changing.  (Read 3771 times)

magoo

Advice needed on tyre changing.
« on: August 01, 2009, 06:55:34 pm »
I decided today that it would be a good idea to put a couple of fresh new tyres on the mighty race bike for next weekend. 2 hours later, back strains, busted knuckles, high blood pressure and kids with some new swear words to add to their vocabulary, the rear is done.
Question, should I have done it before I watched the V8s and drinking a 6 pack? (no Hoony, I'm in training so they were blondies, not those nasty VBs)

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: Advice needed on tyre changing.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 07:20:46 pm »
I've found the easiest way to change tyres is get your employees to do it!
Cheers,
K

magoo

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 07:30:12 pm »
Can't blame you K, I'd do the same. Also, one big difference between Enduro and Motocross riders is a flat tyre for an Enduro rider is a minor inconvenience, for a Motocross rider it is the end of the weekend, pack up and get the bike shop on Monday to fix it for you. They're a weird mob those Enduro guys.

DR

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 08:00:25 pm »
and for a weekend motocrosser they're simply a pain in da butt! Fortunately or unfortunately, however you look at it, I've had plenty of experience ::) Why I changed 4 in about 30 minutes on friday..yesterday even :P..1 was a bloody trelleborg too! Jayzuz H Christ!! talk about stubborn! >:( but I was most stubborn ;D seriously, the tip to making it easiest I've found is making sure the bead opposite where you are levering is in the lowest part of the rim which is the centre. Keep an eye and a heavy knee on this area and you shouldn't have too much bother ;)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 08:02:16 pm by Doc »

maicopunk

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 09:05:41 pm »
... and since you're not an enduro rider and don't need to fit them in a bumbag, go to SuperCheap and get a pair of 24 inch tyre levers. They won't stop the skinned knuckles or swear words but should help with the back strain and blood pressure. Take small bites at a time.

Jimmy

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 09:15:59 pm »
Tyres are easy.  It's all the other stuff that's hard!

1. Put the tyre (new and old) in the sun.  A nice warm tyre comes off much easier than one on a cold night

2. Put your boots on and break the bead both sides

3. Get some decent tyre levers and start on the non-sprocket side (I was going to say the 'disc side' ha ha).

4. Take smaller rather than bigger bites with the levers.  And be tough!  Some old tyres like Pirelli and Trelleborg used to have a reputation for being hard sonsabitches to get off.

5.  Use lots of baby powder when you put it back on.  I also use it to take the tyre off too.

6.  Go on a few trailrides and have 20 'mates' yell helpful comments..

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 09:26:29 pm »
Or buy a tire changer  ;D

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 10:21:13 pm »
Best method I've found is to make sure that CrossedUp2 is standaing nearby, and then flounder hopelessly. He'll have the new tyre on in a jiffy, with no skinned knuckles or raised blood pressure on your behalf...
 ;D

Seriously, Jimmy's advice is all spot-on.

I also like to put a tiny bit of air into the tube when re-fitting as I find that it makes it harder to pinch the tube with the levers. Just so the tube begins to hold its shape - any more and it makes life a lot harder.

For the fronts, I like to fit the slightly inflated tube into the tyre before putting the tyre anywhere near the wheel.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 10:50:16 pm »
C,mon Magoo i thought you Honda blokes would be harder than that  !!!.
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 11:19:03 pm »
i send my tyres to mick dyer motorcycles. that`s working starter not harder. good luck up at the nats

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 11:21:40 pm »
i send my tyres to mick dyer motorcycles. that`s working starter not harder. good luck up at the nats

cheers,we have a good fellow up at the Nats, who can change tyres real quick names Magoo  ;D
Best is in the West !!

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 11:27:50 pm »
sorry smarter.but it put `s me at the starter quicker.

oldfart

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 08:16:55 am »
Jam tyre up against bench leg  ( to push tyre in groove ) then hold in place with # 10 clobber and take small bites . OLDIE    wears  leather gloves these days  :)

mainline

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 09:34:17 am »
Watch these three youtube vids of the Bridgestone tyre tech changing Kevin Windham's tyre

Absolutely foolproof, guaranteed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw0B2gIwbBg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTatadVNA-c&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjJXE73rGvk&feature=related

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 11:16:46 am »
I floundered around changing some tyres a year or two ago and ended up on the floor panting. Felt like a complete fool! This was NOT so hard when I was 18.

The next time, I grabbed three of the small spoon levers, I then liberally covered everything in water or powder or anything to help things slipslide around and the dang thing was off and new tyre back on in less than 3 minutes.

No huge tyre levers, no straining, no bulging eyes :-)
Lubrication. Yes, I had omitted the bleeding obvious...

Luke
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 11:19:23 am by lukeb1961 »