Author Topic: different RM's ?  (Read 4745 times)

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: different RM's ?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 08:58:40 am »
It might just be that the guys in Holland made up their own rules, to suit themselves, without consultation with those who seem to think they know better. And maybe, just maybe, they are having fun with their bikes and don't care what people on the other side of the world think. Well good for them.

If they are out there on old bikes and having fun then good luck to them, if that offends you then it says more about you than them.

And maybe, just maybe, a story in an old Dutch motorcycle magazine will pop-up to show that they have been doing this for 30 years, wouldn't that put the wind up the purists. Historic precedence [and yes I know it is very unlikely, but you never know???].

I never thought that saying I liked something, or that it was good that somebody was enjoying themselves with old dirt bikes would cause such a S%$T Storm. Pathetic really
VMX42

P.S. I think the swingarms look fine [seen much worse], but the tanks are works of art and the bikes are great!!!
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

firko

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 09:57:07 am »
You know...I agree fully with any mans right to do whatever he wants with his bike. It's a big world and there's room for all sorts of philosophies in motorcycle sport. The point I've made from the beginning here is that these bikes were built to take advantage of inadequate wording in in the twinshock rules. The guys in Holland (or is it Belgium, you've got me confused) are obviously taking advantage of these loopholes and I'm merely offering my opinion on that. These bikes have caused a lot of heated debate in Euro twin shock circles as well so my criticisms aren't a solo effort. The last time these type of bikes were featured on the forum there was, to quote Lou from Little Britain "a right kerfuffle". I seem to remember it going for a number of pages with far harsher criticism than what I've offered up.

What's more important than some bloke in Europe modifying dirt bikes is the right to have an opinion on an open forum. I've made my opinion purely on what I think of the bike, as have you Jeff. We have different opinions on it....so why is the sky falling in? Every time someone offers up something out of left field you can expect differing opinions, that's the beauty of an open society. I'm not saying my opinion is the final say on this, It's merely what I think and nothing more.

Whatever happened to good open debate without it becoming personal?

Offline flyingdg

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 10:29:48 am »
What tank is on the bike? I like it.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 11:07:42 am »
HI Firko,
I'll have one last go… [gotta love a glutton for punishment, eh?]

I have no problem with your opinions [and I sincerly support your right to voice them] but you strongly allege that these guys are taking advantage of the inadequate Twin Shock rules. What if they are quite happy with their rules and feel that nobody is taking advantage of anything.

I know the Poms don't like the situation, but that doesn't mean the Dutch agree with them and as it is their right to formulate their own rules and inforce them as they see fit.

Yes, with our Aussie RACE rules your point would be valid [unless they entered Pre 85 where they would be completely legal], but what you won't [can't] acknowledge is that the Dutch might not share your views and have a different spin on what is appropriate in THEIR form of twin shock racing.

Perhaps if we can find a Dutchman he can put us all straight…

VMX 42

P.S. is the puppy worn out from over patting yet?
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

firko

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 12:02:04 pm »
The Dutch seem to be getting along fine with their rules and I guess that's their perogative. It's that free society thing again. I certainly acknowledge that they probably (no certainly) disagree with me. That's my point about debate. I'm just one man offering an opinion, nothing more. In the end it's those crazy clog wogs that have to deal with what they've created not me. Perhaps my view is tainted by what I've read in the British press and forums regarding the Dutch bikes. I suppose as long as this type of thing stayed in Holland it'd be hunky dory but there's already been a sniff of this kind of bike here with a couple of twin shock Honda 450 being presented as RC450 replicas when they are nothing of the sort.
Give an inch, take a mile.
The future success of VMX is based on the continuation of period integrity. In other words build your bike as trick or individual as you like but if you want to race it in VMX competition, it has to fall into the parameters of the period you which to race it. The Dutch bikes race in Dutch Twin Shock racing and in that context that's their deal. Just don't ever call it VMX because it certainly isn't based on the parameters most of the VMX world goes by.
Have a look at the bikes. Some are cool, others ??, well you make your own minds! up.http://www.dutchtwinshock.nl/english.html]

The puppy bit me so I'm looking for a crocodile . ;D 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 12:06:08 pm by firko »

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 10:57:40 pm »
Blame the twits that wrote the rules. Human nature will always sniff out loopholes. I don't race but the UK twinshock rules aren't limited on suspension travel so half the open fields appear to be Maico 490s
There's not much scope for earlier stuff being in the hunt
The unit BSAs don't appear to have much in common with what was available back then either,and run on methanol

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 11:10:28 pm »
The unit BSAs don't appear to have much in common with what was available back then

I agree 100% with you there. Theres a lot of hot/trick/fancy unit BSA's that stretch the rules/dont look quite right getting around in the UK scene.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022