Author Topic: different RM's ?  (Read 4746 times)

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
different RM's ?
« on: July 26, 2009, 06:19:34 pm »
I got these photos sent to me.

???

If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: different RM's ?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 07:08:15 pm »
DJ, I really like that. Do you have any of the detail of the componentry or is it a highly modified version of a standard bike?

Question to all. When this type of bike is put together, does it loose it's long term appeal (and value) because I'd really enjoy putting together something like this but am always concerned about throwing heaps of money into something that is not an original item?

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 08:04:53 pm »
This and the YZ look like European bikes where they convert linkage bikes to twin shock.
As much as I love the engineering work involved I can't see the gain, I supose they would have better forks and brakes than say an RM N or T but there is no class here to race them.

As for value, a lot of work and no doubt expense to create something that will have no value in it's "originality" in years to come.

I once converted a series II Land Rover to coil spring suspension, Chev V8 with auto and disc brakes.
It worked a treat but I would never regain the time and money I put into it.

Brent
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 09:24:36 pm »
I agree with your thoughts Brent about it's long term value.

I also now see the engineered aspect of this bike and yes it must be a converted linkage to a twin shock format.
Note the rear upper engine mount of the motor, it's just got a bolt through the motor casings, no frame for it to locate. Wonder how it goes for stability?

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 09:54:56 pm »
i think these are from Holland. They have a dutch twinshock class over there and anything goes. They even but twin shocks on bikes like CR500 & KX500  ::)
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline RED ALERT

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 10:10:12 pm »
I wonder if the KX in the background is feeling nervous about its upcoming operation.  ;D

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 10:12:09 pm »
Looks like a 82/83 RM125 with a PE175 engine fitted. Or at least the top end might be. From my memory, the PE was the only (late model) that has the rubber blocks in the head/barrel.
Take away the Paint, Powdercoat, Polish & Anodising, and Swing arm aside, the engineering is pretty ordinary. Where has the top engine mount gone? Would be interesting to see how the top shock mount has been done.

Sorry, but in my mind it's a waste of time & money and a F@#K'n disgrace that someone would do that to a bike.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 10:13:31 am »
Bahnsy,
It looks like they have made up a rear motor mount that locates on the swingarm pivot [like the '78 Honda CRs].
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

DR

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 12:11:55 pm »
point here being this bike has obviously been built to someone's ideals. The bike itself appears to have built from misc parts and even if it was a complete thing before it's up to the owner what is an acceptable mod and what isn't. Really does look very nicely done and for the life of me I can't see there being too many shortcuts in the fabrication of the bike. As I've always said, anyone can go out with a wad of money, buy all the NOS parts they like and put a bike together but at the end of the day it's not a reflection of the owner..the above bike is and I reckon it's pretty well done. Not everyone thinks of resale value when building projects..I know sure don't, I do for the enjoyment it brings ;)

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 02:03:00 pm »
I agree, Chris. The resale value to me would be bugger-all, but I bet the owner had a ball building it, riding it and fussing over it. That's why you play with ancient bikes. For that matter, I'd take it and put more PE parts on it  ;D
Resale value is a bizarre thing to think about, in regard to almost any old bike (ok, except for a Maico 490)

firko

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 04:35:05 pm »
Because I've spruiked my distaste for these bikes on the 'Not Monoshocked' thread, VMX42 has kindly invited me over to vent my spleen here as well. Seeing that the engineering side seems to be the focus here I'll also play the 'Snidely Whiplash' villain part and ask the question...What forking engineering?

The swingarms appear to be poorly designed and made, cut and welded at the shock mounting point with no obvious gusseting. Any other "engineering" merely consists of welding a pair of top mounting points and..Ta Da...you've got one Frankenbike. No great engineering mountains climbed here, in fact it's "deengineering" at it's worst.

I don't have any like for the way these guys have manipulated the Twin Shock concept to suit their ideals but that's the fault of the twin shock organisers not nipping it in the bud when the first CR480 twin shock showed up a few years ago. If they'd have let the Yamaha monoshock into the class at the time and disallowed mechanical components from later eras, the Euro twinshock class would be in better shape.

Lastly I dislike these bikes being associated with the VMX movement. VMX or Vintage motocross exists for us to celebrate and replicate distinct eras of off road history. These bikes have no historical precedent and therefore aren't representative of what VMX is about IMHO........There, I feel better that I've got that off my chest. I'll go and find another puppy to pat. ;D

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 05:26:51 pm »
yeah i think they kinda dont look right and i wouldnt do it but i guess the owner likes it and is happy with it. Not everyone does a bike up to sell or make money and they dont give a stuff how much its worth in the end. Its a bit like a Bantam, you can pay big bucks to restore one, just as much as it would cost another bike but its only going to be worth maybe $2000 to sell it after and you wont get your money back on it but the owners who restore them do not really care and are not in it to make money, they are in it for the enjoyment/pleasure aspect of building/restoring a bike to their tastes and what they like.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

DR

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 06:34:48 pm »
I still like it and I like the guys vision for building something different. Jeez you're all talking as though he cut up an RH250 or something 'sacred', I'm talking as though he created something unique from something ordinary. The owner did a nice job and may 'never' have even planned on racing this bike so what's the problem? :-\

firko

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 07:31:18 pm »
The 'problem' in my eyes has nothing to do with chopping up an old bike. I couldn't care less about collectability or investment value. My problem is that these bikes are raced in a class that was never intended for them, simple as that. They're rule fudgers and should never be confused with vintage race bikes.
And on a purely visual thing ... those swingarms are crap. My 'mate' Karl 'Novation'Landrus would spew looking at them.

DR

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 08:26:44 pm »
IF it was never raced would it still be so upsetting to look at ??? I reckon it's eye candy regardless whether it bends or breaks the rules, a nice bike IS a nice bike is a nice bike ;)

edit, guess i should have read the yammy thread first and saved my breath :P
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 08:29:51 pm by Doc »