Author Topic: Pre 70  (Read 11721 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Pre 70
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2008, 09:41:56 am »
Hey, I'm not trying to justify it!
Just trying to work out whether there was any honest reason for allowing it.

What prevents an MX-B motor being called a carry-over pre-75 motor, apart from the (easily changed) cylinder head?
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2008, 09:51:47 am »
As mentioned Nathan it is the Yamaha factory designated 1975 model. I have a Yamaha manual here and it states that on the first page.  Like all this follow on stuff Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda  CZ Vespa and all. if you think it is unchanged machine except for  maybe graphics, prepare a case for the controlling bodies to review.   :)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

firko

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2008, 11:46:26 am »
Nathan, I'm not totally certain but I've been told by folks who are are far more knowledgable than I in these matters that the cylinder is vastly improved over that of the A model and that there are various other changes. Having raced both models myself back in the day I know for certain just from my 'seat of the pants' instincts that the B is vastly superior to the A in every performance aspect. Of course it can be argued that the A cylinder can be ported to B specs or in reverse, an A head can be fitted to a B and all is well. If the latter was allowed in pre '75 it'd open up the old chestnuts of allowing Mk 8 250 Pursangs, VA125 Montys and all of the other borderline machines whose owners feel victimised because their bikes were available in 1974.
The factory designated 1975 model stanza was included to cut these disputes off at the pass. Remember that it's not just the MX B engine that's not allowed, it's the whole bike. The whole engineering concept of the MX B belongs in the next generation of motocross history, purely for its suspension package*. December 31 1974 was deliberately chosen as a cutoff date as it marked the end of the 7" and4" suspension travel era. Even though the MX B engine may be considered an update of the A model, the bike as an entire package is a whole new deal that launched Yamaha into its next phase of development. You can't seperate the engine from the whole unit and call it a flow on while still disallowing the monoshock frame. It's all or nothing.
*Before somebody enters the discussion with the notion that the YZB is allowed in pre '75 and it features a similar monoshock suspension system to the MXB, an explanation is in order. In the first few years of the sport the YZ250/360 B was not allowed, a situation accepted by most in the sport. Then along came a Victorian named Jody Mason who challenged the validity of that ruling and lobbied to be allowed to race his YZ 250B. I got the job (along with Peter Drakeford, I believe) of researching the history of the YZB for the commission. Despite my and other delegates objections on both moral and engineering grounds for the same reasons I have laid out in the previous MXB paragraphs, Yamahas own paperwork proved that the YZB was indeed a 1974 factory designated model and for that reason alone we concluded that it'd be discriminatory if we disallowed the YZB because of its advanced suspension travel yet allowed 74.5 Maicos, CCMs and other bikes with more than 4" of rear travel. We voted to allow the YZB on the condition that the suspension travel be restricted to 7" and 4", as we'd insisted the Maicos, CCMs and others do. Ironically, Mason, the guy who bought this whole situation to a head, never did race his YZ250B or any other vintage motocross bike to my knowledge. He did ride some speedway and classic dirt track on Jawas. He was last spotted punting a Charger around Eastern Creek in the Biante series.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 11:50:12 am by firko »