Author Topic: Motorcycle lifts  (Read 5702 times)

Motorcycle lifts
« on: May 14, 2016, 10:20:36 am »
Who's got advice to share on this?  After ideally a foot operated hydraulic lift good for 200kg and 850mm lift height.  Ones on eBay etc are only good for 135kgs (but that's just the official max rating).  Beyond that, there only appears to be the bulkier pole-operated lifts or the lift tables, both of which take up more space (but heaps higher weight rating).  Anyone know of the foot operated ones good for say adventure bike weight?

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
Re: Motorcycle lifts
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 12:23:01 pm »
I got one from ballards hydraulic type red in Colour works well had it 7or so years , those ebays ones are junk , a mate has one it broke .
With mine I made a castor wheel base so the stand sits in it and you can roll the bike around out of the way and plus gives the bike a bit more height two inches.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 05:30:51 pm by mick25 »

Offline dont

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 06:44:24 pm »
I have one I bought from a friend when he sold his big something 109 - Suzuki maybe -I think it weighted 250 kg or probably more. It doesn't lift as high as you ask though, I think about 40 - 50 cm. It is quite compact, I store mine under a bench or on its end against the wall. It has rollers, my friend used it like a train turntable. I think you can get them from Autobarn/ Repco type places and maybe a couple 100 $, but regularly on special.
Although it doesn't lift a long way I've used it to raise bikes for working on them and also for lowering engines for removal. It's been good especially in combo with a short stool.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 06:58:21 pm »
check the medical system for lifting beds, apparently you can get 2nd hand ones cheap and they can easily be made into good bike lifts

Offline llewdaert

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 09:46:56 am »
Ballards has moved and changed
I don't know if Geoff has anything to do with the business any more.
I was unable to get any Ballards specific products last week.
I loved the old Ballards
and dont  feel the same any more

I have one I bought from a friend when he sold his big something 109 - Suzuki maybe -I think it weighted 250 kg or probably more. It doesn't lift as high as you ask though, I think about 40 - 50 cm. It is quite compact, I store mine under a bench or on its end against the wall. It has rollers, my friend used it like a train turntable. I think you can get them from Autobarn/ Repco type places and maybe a couple 100 $, but regularly on special.
Although it doesn't lift a long way I've used it to raise bikes for working on them and also for lowering engines for removal. It's been good especially in combo with a short stool.

Offline dont

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 05:48:51 pm »
check the medical system for lifting beds, apparently you can get 2nd hand ones cheap and they can easily be made into good bike lifts
Wow,I  like that idea, perfect for a sick bike although my wife would know for sure that I treat my bikes like a person  ;D

Offline Blackjack

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 09:43:20 am »
My favourite bit of workshop kit. Makes maintainence so much easier. 
But would not lift 200 kegs. Maybe it's just old but my dirtbikes is about all this one can handle.

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 09:44:42 am »

Modified hospital bed works well probably wouldn't put a Harley on it but dirt bikes are fine
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 09:46:23 am by Andrew L »
"You have not made any mistakes if you find extra pieces after assembling an object. In fact you have just found a way to make the object more efficient."

Offline Blackjack

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 10:36:39 am »
Sweet.. looks good Andrew. I was worried mine was going to be too wide at first and like how you have cut yours down.  But find i always have a place for tools and parts etc. And rarely lose any nuts n bolts on the floor......
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 10:39:25 am by Blackjack »

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 06:38:57 pm »

I have had mine for years, purchased from the builder in Newcastle.  It lifts my trike with no problems at all and it weighs a little under half a tonne.  My wife gave it to me for my birthday or fathers day or maybe because she felt sorry for me sitting on the workshop floor to work on my bikes, can't remember just know that I couldn't do without it now.
  I did some rough drawings of it for a mate to copy and build his own.  The drawing which includes a full list of all bits, sizes etc needed,  must have been ok because he has finished it and it works fine, he uses it to lift the Honda Goldwing trikes that he builds. 
  Mine uses a air over hydraulic foot operated pump but that could be converted to a hand type pump if needed.  If anyone is interested in the drawings send me your email address and I will send them to you.
 The photos below are of mine and the other if of my mates copy with one of his trikes on it.

Zane

Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline Michael Moore

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Euro Spares
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 03:47:37 pm »
Some of the cheap ones are pretty flexible sideways.  A friend had his Commando end up on the garage floor because of that.

I've got Handy Lift, and now he does too. 

cheers,
Michael