Author Topic: What's going on ?  (Read 6484 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on ?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 07:19:11 pm »
Traditionally prices for second hand vehicles go up as the young teenagers from back in the day, reach 50-60 yo.

At that age many people finally get on top of their finances. (Kids/mortgage gone. Near the top of their career.) And they are desperately reliving their youth. (Apparently  :D)

So, very approximately,  50-60 minus 12yo = '68 - '78 models should be peaking now.

I'd love a 1973 Z900 in the lounge room. When I was 12yo I knew they were the "best bike", and would be forever.

Unlike my "old" mates, I have no soft spot for British bikes. (Not as fast as a Z900. LOL)

I reckon MX bikes peak earlier in their life, mostly because there's a lot more 65 year olds willing to drive an XU1 to the coffee shop than ride an old Bultaco around an MX track... (Will all due respect to those 65yos who are still riding).

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on ?
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 11:49:09 pm »
Traditionally prices for second hand vehicles go up as the young teenagers from back in the day, reach 50-60 yo.

At that age many people finally get on top of their finances. (Kids/mortgage gone. Near the top of their career.) And they are desperately reliving their youth. (Apparently  :D)

So, very approximately,  50-60 minus 12yo = '68 - '78 models should be peaking now.

I'd love a 1973 Z900 in the lounge room. When I was 12yo I knew they were the "best bike", and would be forever.

Unlike my "old" mates, I have no soft spot for British bikes. (Not as fast as a Z900. LOL)

I reckon MX bikes peak earlier in their life, mostly because there's a lot more 65 year olds willing to drive an XU1 to the coffee shop than ride an old Bultaco around an MX track... (Will all due respect to those 65yos who are still riding).

Excellent point.

Even riding a Z900 to the coffee shop would be easier than riding an RM125 so it at least sounded like it was "in the band"!