Author Topic: What's going on ?  (Read 6487 times)

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
What's going on ?
« on: April 26, 2016, 08:42:08 pm »
I've been watching the price of VMX bikes skyrocket recently, with even broken down dungers seeking $2 and $3k prices.
It's cheaper to buy and rebuild a 3 yr old 450 and go race moderns. Are people really prepared to pay up to $12k for over restored bikes or are the sellers just kidding themselves?

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on ?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 09:06:45 pm »
I haven't seen many of the big dollar bikes sell. I have seen plenty of decent (not immaculate) bikes fail to sell from sensible prices.

I think we're just going through another cycle of people testing the water/speculating.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 10:37:48 pm »
Maybe having a Garage Queen is the latest craze? Who in their right mind is going to get an old 12G bike full of rare NOS all dirty and risk braking stuff. Most people build there own racers and set them up to suit themselves so paying  record amount for a copy or replica works or tribute bike that has no actual providence is stupidity.

im sure some people do spend a lot of cash restoring old Mx bikes and as we all know it can and does add up if you've started with an ordinary unloved base point, but thats the sellers problem for not picking the correct bike to start with so if they have to sell at a loss so be it. Thats the lesson to learn.

This pricing enigma is not restricted to vintage MXers. look at the hoards of cafe racers. old Cb and z250 road bikes with the seat and guards cut up and the pipes wrapped and a few cans of super cheap spray paint and voila. instant  pigs arse on the market for 6 grand. i cant wait for the next new fad. Collectable chinese pit bikes with wrapped spokes.

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 02:22:18 am »
the next fad wont be chinga pit bikes coz the motors or rollers dont last or hold together long enough to be a collectable bike from what ive seen so far,thumpstars didnt get the name dumpstars for no reason ;) ;D

Offline James Lee

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 07:17:14 am »
Im sure we all have stories of the bike we sold and regret but I sold my CR500 88 a couple of years back for $4000 at a loss after tipping many $$$ and hours into it,it was by far the best used bike I ever owned,now I see crazy asking prices of $8000 plus for similar bikes and even people bidding well over $5000 for average machines.
My dream of owning another big bore machine is well and truly gone with these prices.

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 09:38:40 am »
As has been mentioned: don't confuse asking price with sale price. (One is dreamt up, one matters)

I have a few bikes for sale.

Suzuki RM125X ready to race or put in your lounge room - $10 000
Honda Z50 "Cafe Racer" full rego - $6000

The que starts here :)

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 07:49:26 am »
aussie dollar guys, the septics are getting a 30% discount on all the stuff they flogged to us at"parity" 3 years ago. collectors are buying good stuff back so punters are loading their prices in case a bunny from the good ol' us of a takes a shine to their product.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 09:34:48 am »
aussie dollar guys, the septics are getting a 30% discount on all the stuff they flogged to us at"parity" 3 years ago. collectors are buying good stuff back so punters are loading their prices in case a bunny from the good ol' us of a takes a shine to their product.
But it doesn't even apply to the good stuff, junk is even demanding redonkulous prices.....whether it gets it or not is another thing.
There are a lot of "what's my bike worth" posts popping up lately on FB, with the responses just blowing my mind.

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 10:27:47 am »
It may be OK to put stupid prices on bikes but selling them at that stupid price is another, that said some blokes are getting top dollar for their stuff so good on em'.
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 11:16:57 am »
At least the ones this post is about are putting prices on the bikes.

The ones that annoy me and most people are on Facebook are "what is my bike worth"  I don't want to sell it I just want to know what it is worth.

Then after several posts and all sorts of different replies they sell it.

This might be why people are putting over inflated prices on bikes.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline James Lee

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 12:20:24 pm »
nothing worst that the make me an offer/whats my bike worth on facebook,kind of feels like ebay lately.

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 12:40:53 pm »
I guess the old adage applies.
It's worth exactly what (at least) one other person is prepared to pay.

Some VMX bikes are unique (condition, etc) therefore there isn't really a price guide.
Imagine a '73 CR250 Elsinore, in a crate, never started. Very difficult to come up with an asking price.

I'm a bit surprised people are saying the prices are high right now. (I'm not looking much, and don't do Facebook.)
Usually vintage prices go high in the boom economy times.
GTHO Falcons were fetching $1 million. Not at the moment I understand!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 01:28:52 pm »
Apparently the $1M GTHOs were the product of market manipulation.

The market for old cars and bikes has been pretty horrible for a few years, but seems to be on the improve recently. I think there's more confidence since Abbott got the boot, TBH.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 03:41:33 pm »
Traditionally prices for second hand vehicles go up as the young teenagers from back in the day, reach 50-60 yo.

At that age many people finally get on top of their finances. (Kids/mortgage gone. Near the top of their career.) And they are desperately reliving their youth. (Apparently  :D)

So, very approximately,  50-60 minus 12yo = '68 - '78 models should be peaking now.

I'd love a 1973 Z900 in the lounge room. When I was 12yo I knew they were the "best bike", and would be forever.

Unlike my "old" mates, I have no soft spot for British bikes. (Not as fast as a Z900. LOL)

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 06:44:00 pm »
Hey Waspy what about the S1 250cc triples?  (S2 350 ,H1 500, H2 750)  and the last of them the S3 400cc version? :D :D :D  Ahh so much noise, so much grunt, so much smoke , so much fun!  balanced by       so little handling..... ;)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.