Author Topic: In the shed yesterday  (Read 16623 times)

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
Re: In the shed yesterday
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 12:29:34 am »
I live in a rain forest and my shed is the underneath of the pole house, walls dont go all the way to the top so it lets the breeze and the light in. also lots of critters. were a few 10 foot  plus snake skins hanging from the rafters.

If you want to keep rats an what eats rats out of your shed just drop a few pool chlorine tablets around the place.
 Chlorine is a poison and lets off the gas and all the critters  go look for some other place.
just dont put them near your alloy bits as they will corrode if you get the real volatile tablets.$20 for a pack and they work.

Offline Daryl Jones

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Old Bike World
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 10:35:52 am »
Thanks pokey,

I'll definitely try the chlorine tabs.

Don't really want to kill the cheeky buggers, I just want them to pick a different home.

Cheers, DJ
Life's too short not to try to do Everything.

"First they tell you you're wrong, and they can prove it.
Then they tell you you're right, but it's not important.
Then they tell you it is important, but they knew it all along."
Charles Kettering.

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 10:51:27 am »
our local hire joint has "traps"..sometimes councils have traps as well. put something tasty in it, watch out the little f&*ckers bite and scratch incredibly well!

let em out at your most non favourites persons house about 5 in the morning... they will look after them for  while...:)
The trap like 80-85 husky is talking about are the go
I used them in nz when I was a kid just a apple in the cage on the hook soon as they go in and take the bait the door slams behind them 8) this trap doesn't hert them in any way only there smartness  ;D
Plenty of possums in nz about I thousand possums to one kiwi ratio over there  ???

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 12:39:20 am »
about the only place i've ever seen roadkill (possums) in peoples driveways was in Nzed, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2015, 11:31:05 am »
our local hire joint has "traps"..sometimes councils have traps as well. put something tasty in it, watch out the little f&*ckers bite and scratch incredibly well!

let em out at your most non favourites persons house about 5 in the morning... they will look after them for  while...:)
The trap like 80-85 husky is talking about are the go
I used them in nz when I was a kid just a apple in the cage on the hook soon as they go in and take the bait the door slams behind them 8) this trap doesn't hert them in any way only there smartness  ;D
Plenty of possums in nz about I thousand possums to one kiwi ratio over there  ???
HERT? Is N.Z. print with an NZud accent? ;D Cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2015, 12:16:43 pm »
I live in a rain forest and my shed is the underneath of the pole house, walls dont go all the way to the top so it lets the breeze and the light in. also lots of critters. were a few 10 foot  plus snake skins hanging from the rafters.

If you want to keep rats an what eats rats out of your shed just drop a few pool chlorine tablets around the place.
 Chlorine is a poison and lets off the gas and all the critters  go look for some other place.
just dont put them near your alloy bits as they will corrode if you get the real volatile tablets.$20 for a pack and they work.
does it need to be a humid place for them to work? Pretty dry where I live
previous pseudonym feetupfun

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2015, 12:25:13 pm »
nearly is not good enough for GMC! try harder next year!

Ha, I'm going to try harder to keep my eyes open.
It was around Xmas and I had a guy on the phone talking about swingarm lengths and I said "hey, I have one parked outside" (I move them outside in the mornings)
I was walking out to it and was just bending down with tape measure in hand and phone in the other hand when I realized the bugger was right at my feet, one more step and I would have been on him. Luckily he was just as surprised as me and we both turned and fled with me using quite a few choice words repeatedly.
Poor guy on the phone must have been wondering what sort of customer service GMC gives out, when my pulse rate returned to normal I had to back track and convince the guy I wasn't swearing at him.
I attacked a few garden hoses in the following days ;D, don't know why they make hoses with the reinforcement looking the same as snake skin!
We have a heavily vegetated, rocky, steep sided gully at home that my wife is gradually turning into a rainforest. It is also my trials riding practice area. I have lost count of the number of times my heart has skipped a beat during riding practice when the front wheel goes over a partly-hidden black-with-a-red-stripe garden hose.

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2015, 12:33:02 pm »
Around here right now it is Eastern Brown season with lots of them being very active. Quite pleased that one of them that was in my shed last week got to the rat I was trying to catch. Only problem is now I don't know where the snake went.
I often see coastal pythons in my shed sleeping off a big meal and shedding their skins. The other common snakes around here (tree snakes and keelbacks) don't seem to go into the shed or are very good at hiding

mainline

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2015, 12:33:20 pm »
We had a race at Harrisville a couple of years back and a black snake tried to cross the track ahead of the whole pack just before the jump onto the back straight.  He was going backwards and forwards all over the shop trying to get out of the way. Must have got away with it as he wasn't there next lap around. Unless he was stuck in someone's wheel.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2015, 12:39:23 pm »
And then there was the green tree snake that hitched a ride to my place coutesy of "Mainline" and his ute ::)
"flat bickie"

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2015, 02:02:06 pm »
have had a run in with an extremely long black Mamba and a very fat and round black cobra whilst riding in Africa where I worked.  I stopped and paid them the courtesy of having the track to themselves until they disappeared into the brush.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2015, 08:46:55 pm »
Often wondered if the enduro riders up Far North Queensland and in the NT have to deal with those 400.000.000 million year old (and counting) toothy water lizards (aka estuarine crocodiles)? Reckon they would be a treat in a wet section... ::) 

Should to get one , saw its tail off and paint it canary yellow. Might look as ugly as friggin shite, but, lets see how the the neighbours nasty pink nosed pitbull likes them apples...  ;)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2015, 08:34:00 am »
Often wondered if the enduro riders up Far North Queensland and in the NT have to deal with those 400.000.000 million year old (and counting) toothy water lizards (aka estuarine crocodiles)? Reckon they would be a treat in a wet section... ::) 

Should to get one , saw its tail off and paint it canary yellow. Might look as ugly as friggin shite, but, lets see how the the neighbours nasty pink nosed pitbull likes them apples...  ;)

Ya could always take the nasty pitbull on a top end fishing trip Tim. I hear the splashing from a dog trying to swim is great croc bait.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.