Author Topic: Magnesium  (Read 18295 times)

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Magnesium
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2014, 01:05:59 pm »
My bike passed eligibility scrutineering at Toowoomba so it is legal.

Nathan, Adolf did race a Maico he almost won the World Championships a couple of times.

Adolf Weil of course.  The AW Maico is named after him.  He died earlier this year he really was a great motocrosser.  RIP
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2014, 12:16:04 pm »
Billet triples and lower fork legs were around in the 70's early 80's so it would've been possible to make anything billet alloy I'd think...

And lets not forget about all the titanium bits and pieces that adorned most top level bikes.

I think it would be unjust to allow billet parts on one brand of machine and not another. A lot of hubs, brake plates and various other parts get worn beyond being use-able safe condition over the years, regardless of manufacturer.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2014, 03:24:05 pm »
I am not an expert in this field, but what would one gain from having billet wheel hub with bolt/rivet(CZ hubs) in brake liner that is an exact copy of the original (aluminium,magnesium, worn out)cast one. I can only think of the wheel hub being safer, maybe a touch stronger and heavier depends on what material is used. And i am prety sure that there was a lot of sand cast/billet hubs and parts on works bikes in 70'and 80'. And let just be honest. One dont have to have a CNC machine to make an old school wheel hub lads. Old school lathe, bench drill and bit of thinking would be enough to make most of hubs that dont use straight pull spokes.