Author Topic: Maxima Racing Oils & BOLT ~ 2014 Australian Post Classic Championships  (Read 35890 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Maxima Racing Oils & BOLT ~ 2014 Australian Post Classic Championships
« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2014, 03:41:04 pm »
Yes, but you also have to know the faster guy is coming, and if he's coming at a speed way faster than you are and you've just mucked up a big jump because you aren't that good...

I am speaking for myself here, but I always try to keep to my line. However, I'm crap, and I often make a mess of a corner, a set of whoops, or a jump because I am trying to go faster than I am safe to go at. If at that moment some guy decides to go by me at a speed 10 or 20 km/hr faster than me, well, he's gonna collect me if he's unlucky.

On an easy track that doesn't happen so much, but on a challenging (read modern) track, much greater chance of it. And if I've just wobbled offline over a double or tabletop cos I came up short, what then? Will the faster guy be able to correct his line while in flight?

Anyways, I know I've derailed this thread into an offtopic theme, so I might close off this Nats thread now it's all done and dusted, unsticky it, and start a new one for Post Nats Debrief?

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2014, 03:58:21 pm »

Anyway, it is a discussion we should have (not only here) and it's important to me that people understand my comments above are not a criticism of the track or the event.  But I think a good way to ensure this isn't an issue in the future would be to have a track that allowed say 60 - 70% of us to clear the jumps.  Someone quite knowledgeable said on Saturday night that maybe there could be a capable rider given the job of determining if the jumps are okay for the majority of skill levels?? Just a thought?

A very good point...
Organisers and track owner/operators need to listen to the riders about track issues. The topic was raised by several riders about the new double jumps before the event but it fell on deaf ears... Many riders I spoke to didn't like them and several packed up well before the event was over.
Regardless it was still a fantastic weekend with plenty of great racing at a brilliant venue and congrats to QVMX for pulling it off!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 04:35:58 pm by JohnnyO »

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 28, 2014, 04:43:52 pm »
Sounds like a well organised event with the only thing forgotten was the age of the riders.  Just because the bike have longer travel suspension doesn't mean the riders are 20yrs old.  Well done to QVMX for stepping up and providing a great event. 
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2014, 05:44:30 pm »
agree with Graeme as it is totally off topic.  I think it shows that there are so many guys out to do the best they can - as was always the intent with VMX - and the guys racing for sheepstations (not a complaint).  I wonder whther those proclaiming it is a NAts and should be for the top 10% forget it is VMX and the gaps between the haves and have nots are significantly larger here - and as Tossa says - not everybody lining up is under 25.  We can't compare ourselves to anything modern.  Its all about the old bikes and older guys - even more so in VMX the majority lies with those that can't do udner 2 min lap times?  SHould Graeme not be allowed to ride because he isn't as fast as Burty (or me because I am not as fast as Graeme  ;D).  Let me know now and I can give SA at Port Augusta a miss - oh and if we start doing that will be interesting to see how many turn up.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2014, 05:51:08 pm »
Anyone and everyone deserves to ride, we've had to deal with lappers since day 1, they just need to be educated to hold their line..
We're racing for fun..it's not the modern MX Nationals

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2014, 05:56:39 pm »
I am closing this topic now. Future discussions about the event can be covered at the new thread linked below, whether it be comments around how well it went, what fun you had, or any constructive suggestions.

http://forum.ozvmx.com/index.php?topic=34263.0