Author Topic: Maxima Racing Oils & BOLT ~ 2014 Australian Post Classic Championships  (Read 35893 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Maxima Racing Oils & BOLT ~ 2014 Australian Post Classic Championships
« Reply #105 on: April 27, 2014, 08:19:10 pm »
It was a bloody good event. A few niggles, but no big hassles, an awesome track and a bunch of good people (as usual).

I ended up 8th in the 125s and 11th in the 250s (both Pre-90), which I'm happy with - got plenty of couldawouldashoula style excuses, but so does everyone.
I'm just glad to be part of Pre-90 racing coming of age in this country. :)

Big thanks to everyone who made the event happen. :)
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline D project

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2014, 08:53:49 pm »
Worth the trip up from Melbourne. Track was VMX friendly but challenging enough for the front runners. Track held up well and was better on the second day. Everyone seemed to be having fun :)

Simo63

« Reply #107 on: April 27, 2014, 09:59:25 pm »
Man I'm stiff and sore but holy crap, what a brilliant event.

Great people, great atmosphere, brilliant racing on a very challenging track ( for a lot of us  ;) ) and probably the best run event I've ever attended.  An absolute credit to the QVMX Club AND all the organisers, helpers and volunteers that put in so much effort and passion to see this event finally get off the ground.  If you chose not to go then you missed out big time. 

A sincere thank you to all those people for such a smooth event, well done everyone.

The bar has been set .... High .... Bring on the next one :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 07:20:13 am by Simo63 »

Offline allan hughes

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2014, 07:01:27 am »
went for a look on sunday
wish i was fit enough to have a go
good racing in all classes
well done qvmx/bmcc

Offline popeye

• Legend
  • 1-2-3 wheel's l don't care...All good fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 28, 2014, 07:15:56 am »
Went all weekend, fantastic Awsome event well organised, well done to all competitors, stand out of the weekend for me had to be Jimmy Deakin, big crash Saturday, Broke his thumb in 3 places, knocked himself out, and still rode the wheels off the 2 Pre 90 bikes he had there, CR500- YZ250, another rider that impressed a lot of people was Peter Horwood on the KTM 500@250, but they weren't the only 2, a lot of guys rode 4-5-6 classes and bloody good on em, get rid of the slow ones, you've got to be kidding, we need as many out there as we can get slow and fast..
IN IT FOR THE FUN OF IT. LIKE MR NIKE SAYS JUST DO IT.

Offline kdx 175

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 28, 2014, 07:20:57 am »
im nackerd only ride one bike at the back of feaild last i think i must up grade the kdx 175 its abit under powerd but grate  event thanks people

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 28, 2014, 08:13:05 am »
Please post some pics and youtubes links.
As for lap riders that's just racing. You should be happy that there was riders there to lap because without them you would not be racing.
Great to see guys like Nathan who still enjoy it and are proud to just outside the top ten. Well done.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline allan hughes

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 28, 2014, 08:37:29 am »
how about the track announcer
good job popeye
(photos are on facebook page)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2014, 08:48:31 am »
Please post some pics and youtubes links.
As for lap riders that's just racing. You should be happy that there was riders there to lap because without them you would not be racing.
Great to see guys like Nathan who still enjoy it and are proud to just outside the top ten. Well done.

Lots of cameras out there - there must be plenty of photos!
Nada said he had taken 2000+...

I think there's a discussion to be had about what the Nationals mean, and what we want from them - but I need my brain to recover first and I think we should all bask in the glow of a great event for a while yet. :)
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 28, 2014, 09:48:21 am »
On the lapped riders.....we need 'em to make an event, even if they do present passing probs....get over it, even in GPs they are a constant.
In the outfits, we had the all girl crew of Lisa Fox and Helen Mattock who we overwhelmed by the circuit but agreed to circulate to make a field. Good on them and more joy to 'em I say.
There was the obvious difference between those that came to win, those that came to ride and those that came to show off their recently completed project!! More jot to them as well.
Loved the track---and was happy not to be pushing hard at that front when having to turn right then lft instead of going up the Matterhorn. That is a recipe for disaster on an outfit when going very fast as David Mattock almost found out when Matt Maloney smacked him from behind in race 2.
Great effort from QVMX, Toowoomba MCC and all others involved. And to you too Popeye ,don't hang up your boots yet, but you're ok on the mic.

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 28, 2014, 10:21:04 am »
Maybe having riders qualify for a national championship meeting by finishing in the top 5 of a state championship?  Or you must run within 10% of the fastest time in practise to be able to race?

Personally I do not think it is a National championship if it is only run in one state..... just my own feelings.

Great ideas but you blokes are 30 years to late  ;) the last to PC nats were cancelled due to lack of entries and now you want to pick and choose who gets to ride  ::)

They cant even fill the gates at modern championship meetings , time has moved on and championship or not its just a bunch of old blokes racing old bikes . The really fast ones were really fast in the day and still are , What about if we find a backer to pay for all the hotshots who race at Farleigh or some of the big Yank events to come to the Aussie nats . Are you gonna tell the fast Aussies sorry you cant enter because you cant run within 10% of the fastest lap time in qualifying  ;)

And if you think they would then ask those who have raced at the big international events how fast the Euros and Yanks  are .

Sounds like it was a very well run event and a great boost for the sport . Be a shame if the memory of it was tarnished by those who's egos are bigger than their talent  ;)
Its only old bike racing FFS get over yourselves

The Artist formerly known as TM Bill

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 28, 2014, 10:46:59 am »
Sorry if I gave the wrong idea, I am not in favour of limiting riders for the event, I was just suggesting ideas for those that did.

Having been lapped in World & Australian Championship Superbike races, I've had my share of "slower riders getting in the way" comments!!!!  50,000 motorcycle riding spectators at Phillip Island, only the countries fastest 8 Superbike racers qualify and people are saying I shouldn't be out there ..... get farked !!!!

At lower-level meetings I do not mind lapping traffic, if anything it is a buzz for me, I give them a wave to say hello.  You get rid of the lapped riders and you don't even have a race!
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 28, 2014, 12:59:16 pm »
I respect all opinions here, but there is an issue here that should be considered.

As a very slow MX racer, I gave racing at a modern track away due to both lack of ability and the danger of being lapped. It's one thing to be lapped on a nice natural terrain grasstrack, another to be lapped on a modern MX track. Given we now have Pre 85 and Pre 90 classes and ex Aussie champs (or even current champs) racing,  the speed and talent differential is high. Add in table tops and larger jumps and the recipe is there for a higher than usual level of risk.

I wouldn't like to suggest grading or preventing people riding, but what is the answer? Maybe emphasis at rider's brief on the need for slower riders to maintain their lines, and perhaps to stick to the side of larger or table top style jumps? Maybe for track marshalls to spot very slow riders or riders about to be passed and give them a blue flag like in the Yank races?

Simo63

« Reply #118 on: April 28, 2014, 01:42:29 pm »
I respect all opinions here, but there is an issue here that should be considered.

As a very slow MX racer, I gave racing at a modern track away due to both lack of ability and the danger of being lapped. It's one thing to be lapped on a nice natural terrain grasstrack, another to be lapped on a modern MX track. Given we now have Pre 85 and Pre 90 classes and ex Aussie champs (or even current champs) racing,  the speed and talent differential is high. Add in table tops and larger jumps and the recipe is there for a higher than usual level of risk.

I wouldn't like to suggest grading or preventing people riding, but what is the answer? Maybe emphasis at rider's brief on the need for slower riders to maintain their lines, and perhaps to stick to the side of larger or table top style jumps? Maybe for track marshalls to spot very slow riders or riders about to be passed and give them a blue flag like in the Yank races?

Graeme you raise some good points and whilst I first want to acknowledge this forum is not the place for this to be resolved, it is a good place to discuss some ideas and experiences.  I was fortunate enough to be involved in a conversation around the camp site on Saturday night with a few of the organisers so I hope I am not speaking out of turn but I believe I can add to the discussion.  Here is my perspective:

In the pre 90 250 (same race as Nathan Senior) I was also lapped around the last lap by the 1st and 2nd riders (Burty and Deaks I think).  I think I was running just in front of Nathan at the time as I kept seeing his headlight when I glanced around :).  Like Nathan, this has never happend to me before either and I think I know why (aside from the fact I'm older and slower than ever :) ).

The track was fantastic, hell the event was fantastic, but we did have that discussion I mentioned between a few people on Saturday night that the track was a bit too challenging in a range of spots for all but the top 10% of the riders.  What that means is that it was a very challenging track and whilst I'm not complaining because I was able to challenge myself (just about every bloody jump :) ), it really allowed the fast guys to go fast and really slowed up the rest of us.  I'm probably making a meal out of explaining this correctly but what I am trying to say is that the track was probably too hard for the majority of the riders and the effect of that was a large variance in the lap times.

Subsequently the fast guys were lapping a large % of the field within 6 laps :o

I know that my poor little 77 YZ250D, still with only 9 inches of travel and fresh from the Classic Champs last year, now has a bent frame under the motor where I consistently cased out trying to get that bloody uphill double jump.  I could do it on my 89 CR250 but just could not get the YZ over the 2nd jump and man did it hit hard.  I know another good rider with a YZ125 that bent his LH footpeg on Saturday casing out only to then bend the spare one I lent him on Sunday.  I mean we (and I'm using the royal "we" here referring to the mid-pack runners) were trying but the track was just a bit too hard in a number of spots for the majority of us.  And the fact you couldn't make those doubles meant you were a lot slower than if you could. I wasn't comfortable with rolling jumps because that wasn't challenging for me AND I didn't want anyone faster landing on me either so I gave it a red hot go every time .. only to come up short  :(

Anyway, it is a discussion we should have (not only here) and it's important to me that people understand my comments above are not a criticism of the track or the event.  But I think a good way to ensure this isn't an issue in the future would be to have a track that allowed say 60 - 70% of us to clear the jumps.  Someone quite knowledgeable said on Saturday night that maybe there could be a capable rider given the job of determining if the jumps are okay for the majority of skill levels?? Just a thought?

Oh and just before I finish .. I didn't notice any blue flags being waved by the marshalls.  When I was lapped by Deaks the first time it was quite a shock to me as was another time Burty blasted up the inside of me on a corner.  If nothing else, a blue flag would have been very handy I think.

I hope these comments are taken in the positive manner to which they were given  :)

Offline allan hughes

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 28, 2014, 03:14:05 pm »
if you dont move off line
the fast guys will pass easily