Author Topic: old pic from early mx series in nz  (Read 4302 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: old pic from early mx series in nz
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 11:47:09 am »
Insert Quote

This'll be the bit yer talkin about Firko,   Morley good to see your still into it,
Cheers KB
http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?PHPSESSID=80ed0c4824d44a62bb02f9c68f53dee8&topic=606.0
That's the one.....I knew he was poppin' a wheelie against someone pretty good....and Ray Fisher was indeed pretty good. The bike looks to be a Triumph Metisse to me, not a CZ as the caption states.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 11:48:31 pm »
Where are you guys finding these pics, i'm gettin worried now!!. says getting front wheel up for traction--more likely for fun!!. Remember Mat Daley as the fast guy on a husky at Mt Kembla [or was it cz before husky], made it look easy, which i'm sure it wasn't but had a fast smooth style. Actually i rode piss poor at the first meeting at snake gully Adelaide [too hot & dusty for me], reasonable at Mt Kembla [don't really remember], just recall going over the bars [& the fence] at bottom of a hill & being shit scared of snakes i was back outa there pretty quick & away. Christmas Hills i had a good day purely due to the fact that it rained, i put a new Barum tyre on the back & ran it very soft so it spread out. Stayed with Athol Paterson as i recall & he was just 'so good' to us guys. Remember going somewhere with Gunnar Lindstrom & others on the train & Gunnar left his tool box with special husky tools etc under the seat never to be seen again--poor guy, was a bad day. Recall the sidecars at xmas hills & couldn't believe how hard they went as we didn't have sidecars in nz. Also an eye opener was a scooter class in Adelaide as i recall, couldn't believe i was witnessing 180 vespas going hard out over jumps & probably lapping quicker than me that day, think Ivan Miller cleaned up on his 360cz that day [maybe Gunnar] Ian Cameron took us to the three meetings in a 'sidevalve chrysler ex ambulance towing a 'big' 4 wheeled trailer, she chuffed along all day at a respectable speed--boiled--but never gave up, was a great vehicle for that job. 27 hours from adelaide to sydney. Had air brakes on the trailer [i think] with a lever on the steering column, was so sensitive you could squeal the trailer wheels too easily going down hill & had to be careful. Ian had a mate Max Troth with him for the long trip starting from the plane in Melbourne. They looked after us Kiwis 'just so well', was an enjoyable trip for us young fellas. Went back in possibly '73 to xmas hills on an RT2mx, got off a DT2mx at home & just couldn't get on with the 360, consequently rode terribly [too much power--sort of difference between you controlling the bike [250] & bike controlling you [360]. Long time ago so some details above might not be accurate but ummm, made a good story eh!!. Cheers.

albrid-3

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 08:11:12 pm »
My Brother Roger was sponsored on a Dot in New Zealand back 60`s, by a bike shop in Auckland or christchurch not sure which town, don`t know the bike shop that he was riding for. back in 1974 my friend Johnny Herd #60 Maico and myself were all set to ride in new Zealand and we were set to say at somewhere there and meet up with the Morley Sheriff and others, but the trip fell through, their was an accident, It was a shame, I was really looking forward to ride their. (Oneday)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 08:19:54 pm by Dave #6 »