Author Topic: What have I gotten myself into..  (Read 2022 times)

Chuckie25

What have I gotten myself into..
« on: September 16, 2012, 11:41:44 pm »
Hello, my names Cj and I'm addicted to pouring money into bikes other people would have scrapped.
;D
so, a bit about me. My name is Cj, I'm 17, and I'm a small engin and atv mechanic and am planning on becoming an engine builder after I finish high school and college. Anything that burns fuel is my passion. My family is nothing but a bunch of gear heads and wrench turners. My mom used to build (including doing port work etc) the motors for when my dad raced sprint cars before cancer took him from us 9-12-01, my moms side of the family (she has 3 brothers and 1 sister) took me in when my side of the family stopped having anything really to do with me after Dad passed. That's just fine because my family has owned 4-5 different atv shops (selling the last and not rebuying after paw paw got sick). My uncles have taken me under their wing and are teaching me everything they know, and they know a LOT having been working on small engines since the 60's and then atv's when they finally came out lol. I ramble a LOT too...

I've just recently finished resto-building a 1987 Suzuki LT250R. Nothing real special. It was raced on the ice in the northern states and got brought down here for some reason after the clutch basket exploded. Well my uncles bought it, rode it, tried selling it, the guy ragged it out and never paid for it so they took it back, it say in the woods for 9 years, they gave it to me, I rebuilt it. That's the SUPER condensed version of the story lol. I'll post up pics if anyone is interested?

Now, the reason I wanted to join up here and my proudest score yet!
I traded a 5 horse power Briggs and Stratton engine to a member of my extended family for a 1976 KTM Penton 250. And honestly, the bike looks like its worth about a 3 horse Briggs LOL. It's rough. REALLY rough. And I have to find cases because the previous previous owner left the jug off an the bottom end filled with water so it's ate out bad (I'll post up pics of it all). Why'd I join up here? Well, I'm a member on tons (or kilos ;D ) of other forums but I can't find anyone who knows anything about the older KTM's. Hopefully there might be SOMEONE here who can help!! Lol.

Ok, this is quite long enough so I'll go ahead and post this up and save your eyes and brain permanent damage from reading my ramblings hahahaha

Chuckie25

Re: What have I gotten myself into..
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 12:40:28 am »
OH!! I forgot to talk about my little bit of racing history lol

A family friend of ours owns a bunch of old 2-smokers and every year he would hold a 'young guns on old rockets' set of races which included harescrambles and some flat tracking. I never rode any of his motorcycles but did put the hurt down on some guys with a 85 Yamaha Tri-Z. I raced that a couple years but messed up my back really bad at the beginning of last school year so I can't really handle harescrambles any more but love sliding! The only VMX bike I've ridden so far is an 83 490 sand spider and man was that thing a BEAST! Gotta love the European powerband!

Chuckie25

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 12:43:53 am »
And here's my Penton

Offline Kenneth S (222)

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • 24 Hour T-shirts
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 05:41:27 am »
Hi Chuckie,
Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will find some guys on here who know quite a bit about this bike, which is a classic model, and will be able to help. There is also a US site called Marks Swap Meet with the url http://www.vintagemx.us/cgi-bin/swapmeet.cgi Keep an eye on that one for parts as well.

Yours is an interesting story. Sad about your dad and the family issues but great that you have found your passion. Your mum sounds cool. You didn't mention where you are from, is it somewhere in the US?
Kenneth S
Go For It

Heaven VMX Club - Racing No 222 - 79 CR250RZ - 84 CR250RE (Steam Train) - 89 CR250RK

Race Bike History
76 RM125A, 77 RM125B, 78 RM125C, RM400C, 79 CR250RZ, 80 YZ250G, 81 RM465X, 82-83 RM490 Frank Pons Special(Beetle's 81 Race Bike)

Chuckie25

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 08:58:50 am »
Hi Chuckie,
Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will find some guys on here who know quite a bit about this bike, which is a classic model, and will be able to help. There is also a US site called Marks Swap Meet with the url http://www.vintagemx.us/cgi-bin/swapmeet.cgi Keep an eye on that one for parts as well.

Yours is an interesting story. Sad about your dad and the family issues but great that you have found your passion. Your mum sounds cool. You didn't mention where you are from, is it somewhere in the US?
OOPS! yea im from Louisiana here in the states haha - ill have to check that site out. ive found everything for it (really fast actually! faster then i could find the parts for my Suzuki actually) but i wanna make sure i have the right info about cases that interchange

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 10:17:06 am »
Welcome aboard Chuckie. You've got a big job ahead of you but many of us here have started with much worse. Just remember to take your time and if you're not sure of a particular point....Just Ask. There are some knowledgable KTM/Penton folks here who should be able to guide you through the job.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Chuckie25

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 11:07:45 am »
I'm going to do it all right like I did the LT but this one is my senior projector high school (senior project is this big deal thing we HAVE to do if we want to graduate. Pretty stupid if you ask me but they don't..) so it'll be finished a little faster then the Zuki. Took me 9 months on it. From neglected for 9 years sitting in the woods to running like a raped ape and looking like pure riders-beauty

Chuckie25

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 11:10:29 am »
Oh and thank y'all for the warm welcomes! I feel kinda odd being on a Aussie forum but it's not too bad. My best friend lives right outside Queensland (i hope i got the name right or im gunna feel retarded...) so I dont feel TOO out of place lol

Where should I post my case questions?

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 11:39:28 am »
Welcome to our forum CJ. Hope it helps you out.

Best place to start with your questions would be here:
http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?board=16.0

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 12:21:11 pm »
   G'day CJ. welcome to OZVMX.
 Sounds like you've gained lots of lifes experience at an very early age.
 Not too mention a flying start into the 'petrol head' world.
 Enjoy!
 cheers pancho.

dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 12:48:13 pm »
Hi CJ. I reckon most of that on the Penton will 'Buff Out' :D
Best of luck my man.

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 06:00:37 pm »
Hi CJ and welcome to the site . You will find some blokes on this site that live and breathe KTM , good luck and happy hunting . Iainyz
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club