Author Topic: Dirt track weapon....well sort of..  (Read 16038 times)

gerpster

Re: Dirt track weapon....well sort of..
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2008, 10:28:22 PM »
Well my first go at DT and is was FUN...but yeh I was holding up traffic I think being a total newbie but we all seemed to get around OK.

The TS went well when it was in the power band. Still did not want to start happily, idle was crap and was also bogging a bit a high revs..I think maybe a carby kit may help. The operator needs more practice too but by session 3 things were gettin a bit better!!    :-[  Hoonin up the hill and down that straight was great stuff!!    :)

Thanks to Pat and Graeme for a great day!!!

I have an XL500 that runs like a dream hiding in the shed too so I'm now tempted to get it out for a go as well....great bikes too and a 4 stroke may suit me a bit better - being more used to road bikes etc.   ::)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2008, 10:38:57 PM »
Yep, it was fun alright, and good to see you out there Greg. Given how fast I've seen blokes ride those XL500s, I reckon you should focus on getting that on the track. Keep the TS for more low key things like CD5 and go 4-stroke for your racing fun!

Offline elsie 125

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2008, 07:11:32 AM »
the XL would be fun Greg, more rideable and reliable, wont take much to get used to on DT,

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »
Some Dt track that are round, dont like no wheel spin bikes, so you end up ridding around like a pee wee 50 all upright and uptight, kinda spoils any fun. 

YOu need at least enough power so you scare yourself when you run in fast and need to tip it over inot a turn and it starts to drift.

Whatever that bike is for you -  ride it, you grow into it, anything less and your interest will turn into riding around your back garden.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2008, 08:29:04 AM »

You need at least enough power so you scare yourself when you run in fast and need to tip it over into a turn and it starts to drift.

Whatever that bike is for you -  ride it, you grow into it, anything less and your interest will turn into riding around your back garden.

Well said. I totally agree.
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2008, 12:59:02 PM »
ummm,i can scare myself pretty good with no power!! ::),drift, & run wide thats me down pat ;D,see all at coffs,cheers :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Doc

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2008, 08:08:48 PM »
I'll tell you what happens when you have a little extra power on tap..you punch a hole straight through the tyre wall just after the entry to turn 1 climaxing in a wonderfully spectacular Superman impersonation in front of all the totally awestruck little kiddies :o whoa! big ooops!..but I did replace the tyres after re-inflating my lungs :D did this twice before I learned that tyres although they are rubber really are quite solid when stacked 2 rows deep ::) the real reason for all this nastiness happening was my brand spanking new helmet but I wouldn't give Murphy the satisfaction and admit to that  8)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 08:13:18 PM by Doc »

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2008, 07:08:22 PM »
I saw something new-to me anyway -at the Jack Hogg.The Slider gang I was pitted with had a pod filter with their equivalent of a filter skin-It was a K&N skin/sock that tied over the standard K&N filter pod this fella was running.He said it was good for dusty days-it was more of a nylon than foam thing and was a wash and wear item-I hadn't seen one before but thought it was worth mentioning for you boxless racers. He said it trapped  a lot of crap judging by what came out of it when he washed it.